Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I ******* hate wasps

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I have a ridiculous phobia of wasps. Never been stung, but literally flap like a girl when I see one.

Withdean at this time of the year isn't much fun....

I'm the same, can't stand the little bastards. We should just kill them all, they're pointless. And don't believe all that crap about them eating aphids, so do ladybirds and everyone likes ladybirds.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm 99% sure there's a nest in my loft, mainly because the halogen lights in the bathroom are full of dead ones that have fallen through in the last couple of days. I'm not sticking my head through the loft hatch to have a look though, as apparently they can get aggressive if disturbed and by autumn they'll leave this nest and won't return to it.

They're buzzing round the yellow flowers in the garden, but aren't really a nuisance. I'm thinking that it isn't worth paying someone to get rid of them (especially as apparently they're at their most aggressive at this time of year), unless there's a good reason.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Can't say I like them either ,but aren't they important, like bees for furtilising certain crops.

So less wasps, less barley and more expensive beer?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Was reminded of this thread a couple of days ago when talking about wasps with a chap up at Horsdean allotments, who asked if me and my two children - 12 and 8 - would like to see the nest on his allotment.

All three of us would normally run screaming from a single wasp, never mind thousands in one place, but the odd thing was that he seemed so relaxed about them that it rubbed off on us too. The air was absolutely thick with the critters, but he'd put down some honeycomb in a bowl for them to feed from, and they didn't pay us any attention. He even lifted the bowl up so we could have a closer look - it was crawling with wasps - without any gloves, and they carried on quite happily.

Both my children seemed to find it fascinating rather than terrifying and may think twice before flapping at them next time. The chap in question has an extraordinary allotment, with enough produce to service a small supermarket, and says that one study reckoned a single wasp nest removes at least 100,000 caterpillars and other pests from its immediate surroundings.

He's there every day, and hasn't been stung all summer.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They are utter, utter bastards, in particular the little fokker that stung me at Withdean on Saturday. Don't go telling me they only sting you if you hassle them. I was merely standing around chatting, debating the size of some passing chap's pie, and it appeared out of the blue, buzzed around my face for a couple of minutes and then settled on my neck, depositing a large portion of sting into it, presumably just for shits and giggles.

Luckily (a) we won, so I'm taking it as a good omen and (b) I found one of it's relatives basking in the sun on London Road as I left, so I seized the moment and stamped it into the ground with my size seven. Ha! Who's laughing NOW, you fiendish little BASTARD??

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Was reminded of this thread a couple of days ago when talking about wasps with a chap up at Horsdean allotments, who asked if me and my two children - 12 and 8 - would like to see the nest on his allotment.

All three of us would normally run screaming from a single wasp, never mind thousands in one place, but the odd thing was that he seemed so relaxed about them that it rubbed off on us too. The air was absolutely thick with the critters, but he'd put down some honeycomb in a bowl for them to feed from, and they didn't pay us any attention. He even lifted the bowl up so we could have a closer look - it was crawling with wasps - without any gloves, and they carried on quite happily.

Both my children seemed to find it fascinating rather than terrifying and may think twice before flapping at them next time. The chap in question has an extraordinary allotment, with enough produce to service a small supermarket, and says that one study reckoned a single wasp nest removes at least 100,000 caterpillars and other pests from its immediate surroundings.

No but others who aren't so knowledgeable around him probably have...

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
They are utter, utter bastards, in particular the little fokker that stung me at Withdean on Saturday. Don't go telling me they only sting you if you hassle them. I was merely standing around chatting, debating the size of some passing chap's pie, and it appeared out of the blue, buzzed around my face for a couple of minutes and then settled on my neck, depositing a large portion of sting into it, presumably just for shits and giggles.

Luckily (a) we won, so I'm taking it as a good omen and (b) I found one of it's relatives basking in the sun on London Road as I left, so I seized the moment and stamped it into the ground with my size seven. Ha! Who's laughing NOW, you fiendish little BASTARD??

Just because one bad insect stung you, you blame the entire race? This attitude is why the Americans invaded Iraq.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't understand people's hatred for wasps. If you leave them alone and don't flap around like an eejit trying to escape or kill them, then they seem to leave you alone. Or is that just me :shrug:

No we have a wasps nest at the top of the garden and I regularly go up there to feed the foxes and they come look and go away.
if you annoy them by coming into their space you WILL get it if you wave your arms around like a demented windmill

man:bowdown:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

because there's no threat, food and purpose. once the queen packs up bags for hibernation and the workers all go off on the piss (eating fermenting fruit) in the coming weeks, they'll change their tune and you'd do well to stay away.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I don't mind wasps. There was one on my toe this morning and it didn't sting me. In fact I've only ever been stung once in my life - in Exeter years ago. If you keep calm when there's one near and don't flap about like Manuel Almunia at a corner then they're unlikely to sting. They feel threatened as well.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't mind wasps. There was one on my toe this morning and it didn't sting me. In fact I've only ever been stung once in my life - in Exeter years ago. If you keep calm when there's one near and don't flap about like Manuel Almunia at a corner then they're unlikely to sting. They feel threatened as well.

I didn't flap :cry:

I didn't even know it was there until someone pointed out it was on the back of my neck, and before I'd even had the chance to say "get off me you stripy FUCKER" it stung me :(

Bloody flapped afterwards though :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here