Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate Southampton more than I hate Palace...

???

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm 17, one side of my family are Brighton fans, the other a mix of Chelsea and Fulham. When I was 6, I had the choice of Brighton or Chelsea. Mum offered me a Brighton season ticket. Withdean, Lee Steele v Port Vale and the likes. My dad offered me a Chelsea ST. Zola (and some Poyet bloke) v Man.U at Stamford Bridge. For whatever reasons I chose Brighton. My ma sat me down and set out the rules of supporting Brighton.

- Don't boo your own players.
- Don't leave early.
- Never visit the Goldstone retail park or any of the chains that have a shop there
- HATE P*lace

They're the rules I've had growing up watching Football. This will be my 5th P*lace game, my 3rd trip to Selhurst Park. I was at the 5-0, I was there when Mcshane scored. I can't get any Brighton fan hating anybody more than they hate the Pikeys from up the road (unless of course, you live in Pompey or W/E) Hell, if I play as Barca on FIFA I'll wear their away kit. I won't wear any red and blue together. I still f*cking hate Andy Johnson. I flip the bird where going past SP on the train. I celebrated when Parr missed his penalty. I can not wait for Tuesday.

I'm a Brighton fan, I hate P*lace.
You're a Brighton fan, you should hate P*lace

Brilliant post, and how it should be.

People come on here all the time and post some ultra personal, short term reason for disliking another club. There was a poll on here a few years ago about which club you hate the most, Leeds came a close 2nd to the scum. Why? Because a few of their fans had been on here winding people up :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 2719

I hate Pompey more than Palace, only just..........but it does piss me off when Albion fans say 'i quite like Pompey'.

I would never say 'i quite like Palace'.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You will find most new fans do tend to find hatred for a club thats annoying them at that time,but the fact is we have one real arch rival and others are just rivals in some sort of way.
Its a typical newbie thing and happens at all clubs so no real issue.

I hate...
1,Palace
2,Pompey

:drink:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
IMHO, these rivalries are actually nowhere near as permanent as people make out. A Luton-supporting mate of mine tells me they considered us rivals back in the 50s, for example! Which was news to me.

That's not to say of course that I don't consider Palace our main rival AT THE MOMENT: they are. I was there for that five penalties game, I went to see us play them midweek in some non-entity of a competition in the 80s, I cheered loud and hard at BBC2 last night - all because it was Palace. And their fans are boring, nerdy wankers that smell appallingly.

But think about it: that fabled incident at Stamford Bridge, for example: how many people will have seen Alan Mullery flicking those richly-deserved Vs? I doubt even most Palace fans noticed it at the time, sadly. That game with the five pens? As that video showed, we went out to kick the shite out of them that day: every one of them was deserved, I hate to admit. We nicked their nickname from them in a pub and improved upon it.

Compare that to recent stuff with Southampton: their fans on here are without doubt the most arrogant, graceless and delusional bunch I can ever remember seeing on NSC and I've been on here since 1996. They pathetically refuse to give us the traditional guard of honour when we've won the league. Their retarded clown of a manager makes ludicrous claims about our being able to keep up with us. Even when we beat them AGAIN, they still harp on with the self-delusion of the North Korean press about somehow being cheated. Unlike other clubs who have fallen from the top table, they genuinely think it's some kind of injustice that they have to compete with the likes of us.

All those things are WORSE than what happened with Palace in the 70s aren't they? I think they are and I'm sure I've forgotten some. I really f***ing hate Southampton. Really, really hate them, with an intense dislike. Palace are our rivals and I think those things are different. Just my HO, don't shoot me.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm 17, one side of my family are Brighton fans, the other a mix of Chelsea and Fulham. When I was 6, I had the choice of Brighton or Chelsea. Mum offered me a Brighton season ticket. Withdean, Lee Steele v Port Vale and the likes. My dad offered me a Chelsea ST. Zola (and some Poyet bloke) v Man.U at Stamford Bridge. For whatever reasons I chose Brighton. My ma sat me down and set out the rules of supporting Brighton.

- Don't leave early.
- Never visit the Goldstone retail park or any of the chains that have a shop there
- HATE P*lace

They're the rules I've had growing up watching Football. This will be my 5th P*lace game, my 3rd trip to Selhurst Park. I was at the 5-0, I was there when Mcshane scored. I can't get any Brighton fan hating anybody more than they hate the Pikeys from up the road (unless of course, you live in Pompey or W/E) Hell, if I play as Barca on FIFA I'll wear their away kit. I won't wear any red and blue together. I still f*cking hate Andy Johnson. I flip the bird where going past SP on the train. I celebrated when Parr missed his penalty. I can not wait for Tuesday.

I'm almost 23 but have only been to 4 Brighton V Palace games, So clearly I was in the same boat as you and all people our age who never saw the rivalry start. I also was taught:-

*Hate Palace.
*Never walkout early.
*Mock the plastics and be proud you are not one.
*Never boo your players.
*Don't visit that retail park.

Some have been told others learnt though following Brighton up and down the country for years and mixing with Brighton fans. I've seen plenty of Palace to see clearly what a disgusting, Dirty little club it is.

People are taking the whole 'hates a stong word man' too far clearly I don't wish death on them but I do hate everything else about them, from the disgusting mix of red and blue, to Selhurst, Croydon, the fact they try and pretend they're part of London, the idiot fans etc

I jumped out my seat last night when Cardiff won, Never done that at a non Brighton game.

I have one club only that I really hate and that is Palace, Saints and Chesterfield irritate me at times.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

- Don't leave early.
- HATE P*lace

This kid is 17 and he gets it. Great post by the way!

I cannot understand how 13% of those who voted don't...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
My dislike for both clubs is equal..... But that shower of Manure from oop north is the only club that really piss me off bigtime!

I was probably the only one on here that wanted Manure to lose to Palace recently.... And I then was also really chuffed to see Palace suffer last night in a semi!

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
Crystal Palace stink of jealousy this season. They hate us more this season because they know we're bigger than them. I don't hate Southampton, I just like seeing them lose (but I do hate Nigel Adkins). Where as I hate Palace, and I love seeing them lose. And the Cardiff match last night made me spunk in my pants.... Twice!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Those of you who havent let 1978 go are tools. I was wondering how long it would take you to sniff an anti-Saints thread (and lets face it there's a lot of them on here) and give your tupennys worth.

Wanker.jpg

Someone's having a :flounce:bless him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brilliant post, and how it should be.

People come on here all the time and post some ultra personal, short term reason for disliking another club. There was a poll on here a few years ago about which club you hate the most, Leeds came a close 2nd to the scum. Why? Because a few of their fans had been on here winding people up :facepalm:
That's very true, there have always been these short-term rivalries. At various times over the last twenty years we've had some sort of 'rivalry' with Leeds, Cardiff, Chesterfield and most laughably Orient. All those are now over and whilst being a decent human being I obviously still hate Leeds I have no feelings of dislike for any of the others; indeed I look out for Orient's results (because of Slade) and I was cheering for Cardiff the other night!

Southampton however have always been there. No it's never been as big as Palace, but our paths have often crossed (remember the first game of the 77-78 season?) and of course we've had to put up with the local TV stations constantly telling us the Southampton are the #1 team in the region. So whilst it's not our top rivalry it's also not true to say that it's a new one that will soon be forgotten. I think that's especially true given the fact that we're now much nearer their size than we ever were in the past. I predict we'll be playing each other quite a few more times over the coming years and the matches will NOT be Wrexham-style love-ins!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here