Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate Southampton more than I hate Palace...

???

• Total voters

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I have really enjoyed seeing both Saints and Palace trip up on TV this week but 'hate' isn't the word I would use to describe my feelings, I just see it as a stronger rivalry with certain clubs. I respect that their fans will feel just as strongly as we do about ours - it's the old tribal instincts coming out. We are proud of our club/team and all want to shout that bit louder than the opposition. Have been to Selhurst several times with the Albion over the years and also as a neutral with Spurs supporting mates and seen similar levels of vitriol between the fans.

We all enjoy healthy and intelligent banter with rival fans but suggest there is an extra dimension now that fans forums give the armchair keyboard warrior element on both sides a chance to do some sparring. Generally this is amusing sport although inevitably there are the less gifted who resort to crude verbals and worse still those that reply in kind rather than laugh it off. These days there is only small minority that would really like to take things to a different level and most of that is from younger JCLs (on both sides) who read/heard about the 'bad old days' of footie violence and feel the need to gain their stripes.

Having supported The Albion since well before our rivalry with Palace developed in the mid/late '70s I am aware that these things come and go. For several years Reading and Pompey used to evoke stronger feelings than most. I guess these things rise to the surface when we are actually in the same Division, Southampton being a recent case in point and get spiced up by managers playing mind games in the media. Of course it doesn't help if a certain manager insists on an irrational arrogance that isn't reflected in their performance.

I suggest that Millwall and Charlton have been more obvious rivals in recent years for Palace because we haven't been on their radar. I recall the Albion / Palace thing didn't really exist until triggered by a dodgy refereeing decision in a cup replay at Stamford Bridge, later spiralling into Mullery v Venables spat when we became promotion rivals in the same Divisions.

To be honest rivalry these days is fairly tame compared to the early 70's when violence (and the underlying threat) around footie matches was far more evident and footie grounds were far less welcoming places and if anything intensified the feelings. Maybe thats why older and run down grounds that are still relics from the mid-20th century eg Palace and Pompey can still provoke such neanderthal feelings. I guess the rather sanitised feel of newer stadia (and have to include the wonderful Amex in that) helps to diffuse such feelings. Thats why standing among a vocal crowd squeezed onto a claustrophobic old terrace at London Road last Saturday was so nostalgic. Didn't feel the urge to kick six bells out of any Posh fans though, these days we are happier to let the footie and our singing do the talking.

TnL_CPFC

Jan 25, 2012
I am a palace fan in peace, you have some people on here saying they hate palace and palace saying they hate Brighton, but when it comes down to it would you miss us if we went into liquidation, the whole rivalry and competition we feel every game? Tbh it has made this season more exciting for me, and I don't really understand the hate in football because if I was from Brighton, I would probably have supported them. I would certainly miss Brighton if it you were to liquidise, I'm 20 years old and have supported palace for as long as I can remember but I only have respect for your fans as you support your local team just as we do. But I love the banter and the rivalry just not the "hate"

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I am a palace fan in peace, you have some people on here saying they hate palace and palace saying they hate Brighton, but when it comes down to it would you miss us if we went into liquidation, the whole rivalry and competition we feel every game? Tbh it has made this season more exciting for me, and I don't really understand the hate in football because if I was from Brighton, I would probably have supported them. I would certainly miss Brighton if it you were to liquidise, I'm 20 years old and have supported palace for as long as I can remember but I only have respect for your fans as you support your local team just as we do. But I love the banter and the rivalry just not the "hate"

Well said

D

Deleted member 18477

I f***ing f***ing f***ing hate palace!
I f***ing f***ing hate Pompey!
I f***ing hate saints!
I hate Chelsea!
I don't really like man utd or man city!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
What's the big deal with the word hate,
I hate not having enough money
I hate the cold
I hate not having a better car

I hate palarse.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

This is exactly my point. Well said young sir.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
At this time I also probably dislike Southampton as much as, if not more than, Palace, but Saints are a passing phase based on last season and this, it will all be over soon (same as there was a minor annoyance with Orient a few years back). Palace are forever.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

I like you. You speak sense.

(Can we swap him for the poster called Falmer?)

Sent by the power of 1000 turtles

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Am I the only one? ???

Firstly, I'm not a JCL, this is my 5th year as a season ticket holder. I'm 22 now, and unfortunately had no Albion supporting family members to get me going to games before i got a job to afford it and had my own transport.

So i've only seen Brighton play Palace once, and we all know what happened then.

Don't get me wrong... I love it when Palace lose... but more so when Southampton do.

So i just wanted some other peoples opinions really? To see if i'm the only one... :shrug:

You ARE a JCL until you've done Palace away (I've done the last 10) it'll only take one or two to realise it's ONLY Palace, the rest nowhere

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As with @Brian Riggs , I too am 47. I have had a seething dislike of the South Coast Club ever since they contrived a 0-0 draw with Tottscum back in 77/78 thus ensuring promotion for both. It did die down over the years but now they have emerged as our biggest of the South Coast rivals, their physio needs a f***ing good slap and their fans think they have a God given right to be a Prem side, my seething has never seethed as much since the 70's.

Portsmouf I care neither way about, they have nothing going for them.

Palace are our biggest rivals and always will be... but I really cannot abide Stains.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
As with @Brian Riggs , I too am 47. I have had a seething dislike of the South Coast Club ever since they contrived a 0-0 draw with Tottscum back in 77/78 thus ensuring promotion for both. It did die down over the years but now they have emerged as our biggest of the South Coast rivals, their physio needs a f***ing good slap and their fans think they have a God given right to be a Prem side, my seething has never seethed as much since the 70's.

Portsmouf I care neither way about, they have nothing going for them.

Palace are our biggest rivals and always will be... but I really cannot abide Stains.

Those of you who havent let 1978 go are tools. I was wondering how long it would take you to sniff an anti-Saints thread (and lets face it there's a lot of them on here) and give your tupennys worth.

Wanker.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Those of you who havent let 1978 go are tools. I was wondering how long it would take you to sniff an anti-Saints thread (and lets face it there's a lot of them on here) and give your tupennys worth.

Wanker.jpg
I'm sure I saw your other half make this gesture to you when you left the house this morning cnunty.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would rather we beat Palace than any other club in the world but I cannot feel the intense dislike for them that I used to feel back in the Venables/Mullery days. Southampton have really got my goat in the last couple of seasons and I do revel in their failures whereas I just laugh at Palace's. I have felt the same way about Cardiff and Reading over the last few years and yet neither hold any real interest anymore. I think this Southampton rivalry will grow if we can keep up with each other and as Pompey slide to oblivion.

I guess this makes me a bad fan who should f*** off but hey ho

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Why do you need to hate anyone?

This we hate palace thing is aload of bollocks hence why we need to sing it at matches to remind everyone who we're supposed to hate.
They're our old rivals who we never play, how the hell can we all hate them?
The southamptong thing isjust aload of nonsense, but yet it is nice when we beat them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They're our old rivals who we never play

Correction

Who we have hardly played over the last few year due to us being raped and pillaged by twats called Archer, Stanley and Bellotti and then having to play in an athletics track. But now we are on an even keel we will be playin them alot more regularly. Last time was in September and again at the end of Jan. :thumbsup:

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Correction

Who we have hardly played over the last few year due to us being raped and pillaged by twats called Archer, Stanley and Bellotti and then having to play in an athletics track. But now we are on an even keel we will be playin them alot more regularly. Last time was in September and again at the end of Jan. :thumbsup:

over the last 30 years how many times have we played them?

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Southampton and pompey are just distractions just like millwall are for palace.dont know about u but when the fixtures came out what dates we played palace was the first thing i was looking for and i bet its the same for 90% of albion and palace fans.they are our TRUE rivals. Hate em

Nick Jarvis

Jul 31, 2003
I actually hate Reading more than i hate palace. But to answer the question i 'nothing' Southampton so definitely dislike palace more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here