Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I don't get some football fans

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's managed to develop Stoke into a mid-table premier league side who are very hard to beat, and he hasn't invested much money. I think that means he's a good manager.

The net spend for Premier League clubs for the last 5 seasons puts Stoke City 4th highest spenders with a net spend of £62.5m. The gross spend (excluding sales) is £71.2m.

While Stoke are 10th in the gross transfer spend, they've recouped very little from sales.

If you don't think £62.5m is a lot of money over 5 years, and that makes Pulis a good manager, what do you make of Moyes net spend £ -18m, Martinez net spend £ -4.6m ???

It's a total misconception that Pulis has transformed Stoke on next to no money.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Stoke fans to a man (twat) are incredibly nasty, disrespectful, arseholes.

One of my mates is a Stoke STH, you couldn't meet a more decent, kind humoured, friendly and knowledgeable person.

Also their chant at Suarez (He cheats, he dives, he hates the Jackson Five) has to be one of the best of last season.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Pulis' brand of football is from the Dark Ages, but to write off all their fans is pathetic.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think Ramsey is a twat for rejecting Shawcross's apology, the man was in tears when he saw he'd broke Ramseys leg.

Therefore I'd boo Ramsey too.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What a load of tosh - its not that long ago that Arsenal played the same style as stoke play now if fact it was probably less creative.

Styles of play come and go and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As for the Shawcross tackle - it was Wenger who stirred that all up trying to play mind games to get refs to "protect his boys" and get the benefit of decisions. Ramsey has his feet off the ground and jumped in - he just came off worse.

Last season Arsenal had a worse record than Stoke,

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
While I don't condone the booing of Ramsey at all - how could you - I believe the booing is not because he had his leg broken, but because Shawcross got an incredable amount of abuse for the challenge, and Stoke fans think Ramsey added to that by refusing to accept the apology that Shawcross offered.

It's complete madness from the Stoke fans, no argument, just wanted to give you the fuller picture of their opinion though.

This.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No doubt Ramsey was pissed off initially, but it was quite clearly just a mistimed tackle. A foul, yes, resulting unfortunately in a relatively serious injury, of course, but it's football. It's an occupational hazard. If Ramsey goes his entire career without fouling anyone then fair enough, but I'm sure he won't. Besides. It's not like he missed a cup final or a title run in, is it? If any Ramsey has genuine cause to believe the high moment of his career has been ruined by a moment of thuggery, it's Chris, not Aaron.

I just thought he lacked a bit of grace in the aftermath. He didn't have to invite Shawcross round for cocktails, but to reject the (undoubtedly sincere) apology was just a bit small of him.

Arsenal do like to create this victim mentality.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
No doubt Ramsey was pissed off initially, but it was quite clearly just a mistimed tackle. A foul, yes, resulting unfortunately in a relatively serious injury, of course, but it's football. It's an occupational hazard. If Ramsey goes his entire career without fouling anyone then fair enough, but I'm sure he won't. Besides. It's not like he missed a cup final or a title run in, is it? If any Ramsey has genuine cause to believe the high moment of his career has been ruined by a moment of thuggery, it's Chris, not Aaron.

I just thought he lacked a bit of grace in the aftermath. He didn't have to invite Shawcross round for cocktails, but to reject the (undoubtedly sincere) apology was just a bit small of him.

Arsenal do like to create this victim mentality.

This

also much as I dislike pulis .....

Rory Delap suffers double leg break | Stoke City | Stoke and Staffordshire sport | This is Staffordshire

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
How do you know he didn't mistime it deliberately to make it look like he just mistimed it? But then if he mistimed it and meant to mistime it would he have got the ball? I am confused...

Why don't you look it up on You tube and take a look at who jumped in - there is no way either player meant to injure the other

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ramsey has his feet off the ground and jumped in - he just came off worse.

Don't be so bloody stupid, Ramsey has one foot on the ground the other is touching the ball past Shawcross who absolutely swings into the tackle with everything. It was dangerous and was rightly a red card. Had Shawcross gone in with a 'normal' tackle i.e. leg fully outstretched sliding in to win the ball, he would have probably won it. Instead he jumps and swings his leg, and you'd have to be a naive person to believe it was anything other than kicking a young player to see if he 'likes it up him'. I'm not saying he meant to break his leg, but he meant to let Ramsey know he was in a game.

Dec 29, 2011
The net spend for Premier League clubs for the last 5 seasons puts Stoke City 4th highest spenders with a net spend of £62.5m. The gross spend (excluding sales) is £71.2m.

While Stoke are 10th in the gross transfer spend, they've recouped very little from sales.

If you don't think £62.5m is a lot of money over 5 years, and that makes Pulis a good manager, what do you make of Moyes net spend £ -18m, Martinez net spend £ -4.6m ???

It's a total misconception that Pulis has transformed Stoke on next to no money.

My top managers would be

1.Fergie
2.Wenger
3.Moyes

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think Ramsey is a twat for rejecting Shawcross's apology, the man was in tears when he saw he'd broke Ramseys leg.

Really?!!! You would boo Ramsey who's career was almost over after that challenge because he initially refused an apology but has since dealt with it and said to Chris Coleman he would be happy for Shawcross to play for Wales?! I think that makes you a twat.

There is always a risk of a leg break when teams are playing against Stoke as their players tackling is way over the top. Shawcross, Huth and the biggest thug I've ever seen on a football pitch Wilkinson are a disgrace. I really hope they go down soon and never return to the top flight.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The man was in tears because after all the years of reckless tackles, he suddenly realised the consequences of his actions, and given the severity of the break, at that point likely to have ended a fellow young players career. He was crying because he knew the horror of what he'd just done, and how it would look to the watching nation, and his international prospects (which were good at the time).

As for Ramsey not accepting the apology, his leg is dangling by muscle and tendon after being snapped completely in 2, and he's sat in hospital wondering if he's ever going to play football again. I don't think I'd be accepting an apology either at that point.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Don't be so bloody stupid, Ramsey has one foot on the ground the other is touching the ball past Shawcross who absolutely swings into the tackle with everything. It was dangerous and was rightly a red card. Had Shawcross gone in with a 'normal' tackle i.e. leg fully outstretched sliding in to win the ball, he would have probably won it. Instead he jumps and swings his leg, and you'd have to be a naive person to believe it was anything other than kicking a young player to see if he 'likes it up him'. I'm not saying he meant to break his leg, but he meant to let Ramsey know he was in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7asulOrxGM&feature=related
If you freeze this at 29 secs you will see what I'm getting at, both players going for the ball with the same intent. Ramsey was up and swung his leg quicker - I don't think there was enough time to think I'm letting him know I'm here

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The man was in tears because after all the years of reckless tackles, he suddenly realised the consequences of his actions, and given the severity of the break, at that point likely to have ended a fellow young players career. He was crying because he knew the horror of what he'd just done, and how it would look to the watching nation, and his international prospects (which were good at the time).

As for Ramsey not accepting the apology, his leg is dangling by muscle and tendon after being snapped completely in 2, and he's sat in hospital wondering if he's ever going to play football again. I don't think I'd be accepting an apology either at that point.

Ramsey never accepted it because he was ordered not to by Wenger who had created such a storm with all the other Arsenal Luvvies in the media that he couldn't back down.

It was just a horrible incident. I seem to remember reading that it was Shawcrosses first red card

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you freeze this at 29 secs you will see what I'm getting at, both players going for the ball with the same intent. Ramsey was up and swung his leg quicker - I don't think there was enough time to think I'm letting him know I'm here

Shawcross loses the ball through a dreadful touch, he without a doubt sees Ramsey is likely to get the ball ahead of him. He has plenty of time to consider how he is going to tackle. You have got this completely wrong with Ramsey, he is running toward the ball so obviously he's going to be off the ground at some point in a freeze frame, but Ramsey IS NOT making a tackle, he knows he is getting there first and he is simply toe poking the ball forward - he is not swinging his leg, he's not lunging in, he toe pokes the ball past Shawcross - you must be able to see this? There is a big big difference between 2 players contesting a 50-50 both committed and sliding into a tackle, and when one player doesn't need to tackle as he's there first - as is the case here with Ramsey. He is toe poking the ball, can see Shawcross and is actually making a leap to avoid him at the end as no doubt he can see Shawcross flying in like an idiot.

Shawcross on the other hand knows he is likely to be 2nd to the ball. Any professional player in that instant will know they're likely to be 2nd to the ball - it's moving away from him after his poor touch, the other player is always favourite. That Shawcross swings so wildly is what made the tackle so dangerous, it was a dreadful tackle. Even if he'd made contact with the ball it was a dreadful way to go into a tackle, and especially from that angle.

I really think you've got this badly wrong in terms of Ramsey being somehow culpable or tackling with the same recklessness. He's not even needed to tackle he's there so early.

Last edited:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Out of anyone that posts on NSC I find you your posts & threads the most embarrassing
Well done on this post that quote tops them all

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Out of anyone that posts on NSC I find you your posts & threads the most embarrassing
Well done on this post that quote tops them all

And I find you the most stalkish, patronising, provoking bellend on here.

I don't understand how that post is embarrassing at all. You're really starting to piss me off now.

You've seen a few people give me shit on here and then you jump on the bandwagon and carry it on. You're pathetic.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
And I find you the most stalkish, patronising, provoking bellend on here.

I don't understand how that post is embarrassing at all. You're really starting to piss me off now.

You've seen a few people give me shit on here and then you jump on the bandwagon and carry it on. You're pathetic.
Anger management still not working then

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Okay maybe I wouldn't boo him but the tackle had no malice what so ever in it. I think it was a bit of a dick head move not to accept the apology IMO.

Shawcross is not a malicious player who ever said he's always putting in reckless tackles considering he's never been sent off.

I don't understand why both sets of fans are still dragging it on, it was around 2 years ago now wasn't it? Ramsey is pretty much back to the player he once was as well, the tackle was mistimed and unfortunate, it happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here