Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I don't get it, and now it's bugging the crap out of me.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I've just got back from an evening out, so hope this is coherent :)

Another factor in choosing supermarkets is that saving on profits HAS to be recovered somewhere.... so if you don't mind queeing endlessly and dont mind badly stocked disorganised shelves them you will save a fair few bob by going to the 'down market' supermakets - and still come home with decent food.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely most people choose a supermarket based on the range of products on offer, quality, value and convenience...based on all of those I choose to shop at Sainsbury, I can drive past it on the way home from work and it is also very near the gym that I use.

I used to go to ASDA occasionally until I moved home, would have to really go out of my way to go there, they also increased the size of their store without putting in extra parking spaces...now you can't get near the place unless you want to shop in the middle of the night. I don't know what they are like nationally, but my local Tesco is an absolute nightmare, the range of products is poor and the place looks like it was designed and organised by a three year old on a bad day.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having shopped in Asda I am more than happy to pay higher prices to shop in Sainsburys.

Yes

I've been having an on going dispute with them for a number of years.

I hardly ever go into ASDA, possibly 4 times a year at most. But, everytime I go into this store I venture over to the place where they sell off stuff coming to the end of it's shelf life.

It's a marvel to see.

They have raw meat from the meat counter, raw fish from the fish counter all piled up in a bargin bucket type affair.

Lovely stuff as you can imagine, sausage rolls with broken packaging covered in raw meat juices and blood.

Has to be seen to be believed.

Everytime I go in there and see it, I get the manager out. One time this year, I stood there and refused to budge until they disinfected the area.

Lovely moment as I had the manager there and I put my hand into the area and rummaged about. Picked up a quiche and my hand was streaks of blood and raw bits of lamb. They were wrapping off cuts of meats in cellophane and throwing them in with prawns, pies etc...

Time before last they were doing the same, but from a "cage" that was unrefridgerated. Went in there last week and they were up to the same. Turkey slices in a tombolo of cross infection piled on top of rump steak.

Packaging damaged etc...

You honestly wouldn't believe it if you saw it. I sometimes ring their customer services if I can be bothered, wait a few months and they are up to the same.

I'll pop in there over the next few months, but will ring the council this time. I've had enough fun and have decided that public health is a little bit more important.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Yes

I've been having an on going dispute with them for a number of years.

I hardly ever go into ASDA, possibly 4 times a year at most. But, everytime I go into this store I venture over to the place where they sell off stuff coming to the end of it's shelf life.

It's a marvel to see.

They have raw meat from the meat counter, raw fish from the fish counter all piled up in a bargin bucket type affair.

Lovely stuff as you can imagine, sausage rolls with broken packaging covered in raw meat juices and blood.

Has to be seen to be believed.

Everytime I go in there and see it, I get the manager out. One time this year, I stood there and refused to budge until they disinfected the area.

Lovely moment as I had the manager there and I put my hand into the area and rummaged about. Picked up a quiche and my hand was streaks of blood and raw bits of lamb. They were wrapping off cuts of meats in cellophane and throwing them in with prawns, pies etc...

Time before last they were doing the same, but from a "cage" that was unrefridgerated. Went in there last week and they were up to the same. Turkey slices in a tombolo of cross infection piled on top of rump steak.

Packaging damaged etc...

You honestly wouldn't believe it if you saw it. I sometimes ring their customer services if I can be bothered, wait a few months and they are up to the same.

I'll pop in there over the next few months, but will ring the council this time. I've had enough fun and have decided that public health is a little bit more important.

You are John Catt and I claim my £5

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think the whole price comparison thing is a bit of a red herring, I think most people I know tend to shop at whichever is closest. Having said that, the quality of sainsburys own brand goods does seem far superior to tesco and asda.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
That said - it's a great supermarket for people who want Pot Noodles, Cheerios and Rustlers on the cheap.

Rustlers ?
As in American cattle stealers ?
What's going on over there .
Football season finishes and British supermarkets hop into the business of human trafficking .
Is this an attempt to claw back profits due to a slump in sales in the take-home packaged beer market ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
since moving to Wales and finding no sainsbury's in the area we have used just about all of the local supermarkets and Tesco is the one we do most of our shopping in and once in a while use the on line delivery service which we have had no problems with.
its been 6 years since I have stepped into a sainsbury's and to be honest we don't miss it and when we lived in Brighton the one we did use was cramped and very limited.

if you want plenty of choice under one roof Morrisons is the one for you but beware you will find lots of wrincklies (like us) there battling it out

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
In related news - the whole Waitrose white label range. Surely your average Waitrose shopper is too much of a food snob to stoop to such depths so who does it appeal to? People who can't usually afford Waitrose, but can now boast the 'Waitrose' name in their kitchens even if it is low quality stuff? Personally I don't get it. Rather than buy their white label products, why wouldn't you just shop elsewhere and buy regular label, which is potentially better quality food for the same price, if not much cheaper?

It does work out cheaper (somehow i manage to spend less in Waitrose than I do in Tesco when I do my weekly shop). Their "value" range is still really good quality, all their chicken adheres to high standards (unlike Tesco) and it's about the same price as Tescos.

I shop at Waitrose because it tends to have no children in the store, and because it's on the bus route!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
For me their are 3 things that rule Asda out as a place for me to buy groceries.

A) - it's full of chavs (sorry - but i really don't like that)
B) - it's principle claim to being the UKS cheapest supermarket is because it's cheap for branded products. And as i rarely buy branded products thats of no benefit to me. The own label range in Sainsburys is far far superior to that found in Asda.
C) - because of it dependency on branded items i find that the product offer in Asda is extremely limited.

That said - it's a great supermarket for people who want Pot Noodles, Cheerios and Rustlers on the cheap.

Snobbery? - certainly.

And D) - often full of screaming kids with screaming mothers. Hate the place.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Just the idea of going shopping in Asda makes me come over in cold sweats. Yes some of their lines are cheaper but the place is an embarrassment. Badly laid out, stocked is presented in the cheapest way possible and like others have said it is like stepping into another dimension where all the chav's and low life of the town are assembled in one place.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Never had a problem with tesco and the one nearest me has a decent range of stuff to choose from :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Well I've just broken my online shopping virginity - went to Sainsburys first with the intention of doing a 'weekly shop' and the first item I looked at was a Quorn product for £1.78, which I know Asda sells for £1.50 and I just couldn't justify paying more so Asda got my online business.
:)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Used to be ASDA, now Tesco simply due to the fact that the supermarket is nearer to where I live now.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well I've just broken my online shopping virginity - went to Sainsburys first with the intention of doing a 'weekly shop' and the first item I looked at was a Quorn product for £1.78, which I know Asda sells for £1.50 and I just couldn't justify paying more so Asda got my online business.
:)

problem is they'll deliver you lambs liver...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm reckoning this thread explains NSC's bumper day of Google ad revenue yesterday. An average day yields c$5. Yesterday returned $12.08 - the highest in a long time - I can't remember the last time we went over $10 in a day.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm reckoning this thread explains NSC's bumper day of Google ad revenue yesterday. An average day yields c$5. Yesterday returned $12.08 - the highest in a long time - I can't remember the last time we went over $10 in a day.

Glad to help :laugh:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In simple terms (might be best for you!), unlike some I don't care who I brush shoulders with in supermarket aisles, the over-riding factor for me being price, not the other clientele. .

Gosh, how very astute of you to ascertain my lack of grasp of long words, from just one [tongue-in-cheek] post. Well done you.

And, yes I care about my 'shopping experience' as well as the value on offer. Sue me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here