Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hysteria about hot weather on UK news programmes

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve been pottering about in the garden today, been to the super market on foot, had a stroll on the beach. Not once did I feel poorly. Why? Because I’m sensible enough to wear loose, light clothing, a big hat, sun cream and I stay hydrated.

I sympathise with the vulnerable who cannot look after themselves in this heat. But the vast majority of us can “weather” this hot patch.

The bigger implications of climate change are slightly more worrying but let’s face it, those that could possibly change the outcome have no desire to do so. Their interests lie elsewhere. So in all likelihood, we are ****ing toast in about 60 years. So slip, slap, slop, invest in a few thobes and have a nice Robinson’s barley water. Trust me, we’re doomed.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Clothes are drying quickly out on the line though and it’s making my first leave in while rather much better. A visit to Borde Hill Garden tomorrow and a nice big chunk of the South Downs Way next week. Plus copious dips in the sea, tea in the garden and a few mint juleps to see us into the cool of the evening. What’s not to like!

Mint Julep
The Mint Julep is an iconic bourbon cocktail you definitely don't want to miss. Drinks that are this popular can sometimes seem difficult to make, but this recipe is actually incredibly easy and only requires a few ingredients.
The Mint Julep is the traditional drink of the Kentucky Derby, which has helped propel the cocktail's popularity. Tens of thousands of Mint Juleps are served at Churchill Downs in Louisville, and countless more are enjoyed by fans watching the race throughout the country. With a balance of sweet, smoky, and herbal flavors, the Mint Julep is delicious all year long….

4 to 5 mint sprigs, leaves only
2 sugar cubes, or 1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
Mint sprig, for garnish

https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-mint-julep-recipe-759323

Treat yourselves.
With or without ice ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I’ve been pottering about in the garden today, been to the super market on foot, had a stroll on the beach. Not once did I feel poorly. Why? Because I’m sensible enough to wear loose, light clothing, a big hat, sun cream and I stay hydrated.

I sympathise with the vulnerable who cannot look after themselves in this heat. But the vast majority of us can “weather” this hot patch.

The bigger implications of climate change are slightly more worrying but let’s face it, those that could possibly change the outcome have no desire to do so. Their interests lie elsewhere. So in all likelihood, we are ****ing toast in about 60 years. So slip, slap, slop, invest in a few thobes and have a nice Robinson’s barley water. Trust me, we’re doomed.
It’s about 23 degrees today. Monday/Tuesday about 40 potentially. See how you get on in that. I’ll be stopping in.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

homer-simpson.gif

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s been about 24C every afternoon hear this week. As forecast.

This is totally different thing to the 33C on Monday, 40C potentially in London/Midlands.

In old money that’s almost 30F greater than this current warm weather.

4AA3F2C5-7B3A-4FDD-B77F-D2BC6F16A6A3.png

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It’s been about 24C every afternoon hear this week. As forecast.

This is totally different thing to the 33C on Monday, 40C potentially in London/Midlands.

In old money that’s almost 30F greater than this current warm weather.

View attachment 149771

We could be looking at lows of 24c in some urban areas next week. For the record Brighton holds the UK record set back in 1990

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s about 23 degrees today. Monday/Tuesday about 40 potentially. See how you get on in that. I’ll be stopping in.

I shall be fine. I was in Dubai with temperatures getting no lower than 43 for 12 days. Did alright. As I said, I’m sensible. I’ll stay in the shade during the hottest hours. If If I fancy popping out, I’ll put on my long linens and my fedora, slip slap slop, bottle of water and bottle of sports drink and off we go!

It’s not that complicated! It’s the amateurs who put shorts and T-shirts on, no sun shield and don’t rehydrate properly and the go wandering about at high noon that come a cropper.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I shall be fine. I was in Dubai with temperatures getting to 43. As I said, I’m sensible. I’ll stay in the shade during the hottest hours. If If I fancy popping out, I’ll put my linens on and my fedora, slip slap slop, bottle of water and bottle of sports drink and off we go!

It’s not that complicated!

Some people are monumentally, unbelievably, "how do you not fall over more" stupid though.

If the media kerfuffle and the MET warnings cause even one donut to be a touch more sensible I think it's worth it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some people are monumentally, unbelievably, "how do you not fall over more" stupid though.

If the media kerfuffle and the MET warnings cause even one donut to be a touch more sensible I think it's worth it.

Or maybe…..

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Its good to see the Guardian maintaining its standards of balanced and reasonable journalism.

Much better to warn people and be wrong than write retrospectively about what might have been done to avoid so many unnecessary deaths, I hope you'll agree......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much better to warn people and be wrong than write retrospectively about what might have been done to avoid so many unnecessary deaths, I hope you'll agree......

Hard to argue if thousands are going to die from the heat next week……..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here