Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical £2m

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A £2 million player who can get an extra 4,000 people through the turnstiles at Falmer at every match for a whole season would repay his transfer fee in one year.

Is LuaLua that player? Are there 4,000 people out there for whom LuaLua would make a difference as to whether they showed up or not?

Would 4,000 extra people come thought the turnstiles for one player, I think not. IF we get promoted will the current squad compete in the Championship. With £2M in January we would need to buy Championship quality players not a Championship quality player. Three or four players in January will have bedded down by August nicely ready for a mid table season.

A winning team will generate bums on seats not a losing team with one star.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Lua Lua wouldn't cost us that much though. He is out of contract in the summer. We'd probably only have to pay about 500k at tribunal so I reckon Newcastle would take £700k in January if Lua Lua kicked up a fuss.

I wouldn't pay £2m for Lua Lua. He's a good player but he's not worth anywhere near that much.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I tend to agree with the 3 players totalling £2m. However, do 3 salaries equal the salary of the £2m player? or in other words would Lua Lua get paid significantly more than anybody else in the squad if he signed perm?

This, for me, is the absolute CRUX.

A £2m player would be on a significant amount of money, far outside the current wage structure of the club. If KLL was signed for £2m, and was picking up (say) £25-£30k a week, then there would very quickly be a queue of players (with their agents) at the chairmans door looking to renegotiate their own contracts.

You can't have one "superstar" at the club who's wages far outstrip those of his teammates. If a club is making huge outlays on a transfer fee, then it has to be prepared to handle the fact that its wage structure will have to be significantly swelled to accomodate it.

And we've all seen where THAT road leads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here