Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical £2m

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Think £2mil would buy as three/four championship quality players if we get promoted...........

But f*** it i love LuaLua & would give a kidney if it meant him staying here & cementing himself as a legend of Zamoraesque levels

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
As much as I love him, and I'm sure somebody must've pointed this out already, we were winning 2-0 when KLL came on at Charlton.

Kaz is great, but he's not going to be the deciding factor on us getting promotion this season.

Well said :thumbsup:

I will be sad to lose Kaz, but i would be gutted if we lost Bennett :ohmy:

A £2 million player who can get an extra 4,000 people through the turnstiles at Falmer at every match for a whole season would repay his transfer fee in one year.

Is LuaLua that player? Are there 4,000 people out there for whom LuaLua would make a difference as to whether they showed up or not?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A £2 million player who can get an extra 4,000 people through the turnstiles at Falmer at every match for a whole season would repay his transfer fee in one year.

Is LuaLua that player? Are there 4,000 people out there for whom LuaLua would make a difference as to whether they showed up or not?

Probably not as it would need to be a 'name' to do that.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
I tend to agree with the 3 players totalling £2m. However, do 3 salaries equal the salary of the £2m player? or in other words would Lua Lua get paid significantly more than anybody else in the squad if he signed perm?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

As ever the most informed response so far, and the answer to the question is conjectural to the point that only Tony Bloom could make the call whether to risk it or not.

Elegia

Jan 4, 2007
I don't think there's such thing as a 2m pot in poker and neither would I want us to sign anyone for 2m- use it to build better facilities if anything.

If you're pushing on that then go for KLL.

Better facilities??? why on earth would better facilities be needed with Falmer coming along nicely:shrug:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I love Kaz and absolutely want him to stay - however I do not think he is worth 2M. He is fast and exciting and has a great shot, although he can not spot a simple pass or cross (yes I know he crossed for Sparrow on Saturday). If we could get him for under a million he would be a great asset. His free kicks have been great but other team will soon get wise and have a defender close him down. If we had 2 million I think the priority has to be a striker.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Another factor may be that if we were to spend 2m on one player, it will send the message to all other clubs that we are happy to splash the cash, rather like Man City etc but on a smaller scale. The price of all future players that we are interested in would automatically increase.

I would spend the money on 3 players rather. What this season so far has shown is that we are a team without individual stars. Plus Gus has shown with El Abd etc, that he can improve players through coaching and proper organisation, so I would rather buy good players for sensible prices and get Gus to turn them into great players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought that once all the sell-on clauses etc, were fulfilled, Zamora became our ighest purchase.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Another factor may be that if we were to spend 2m on one player, it will send the message to all other clubs that we are happy to splash the cash, rather like Man City etc but on a smaller scale. The price of all future players that we are interested in would automatically increase.

I would spend the money on 3 players rather. What this season so far has shown is that we are a team without individual stars. Plus Gus has shown with El Abd etc, that he can improve players through coaching and proper organisation, so I would rather buy good players for sensible prices and get Gus to turn them into great players.
Pretty sure most of the players we have signed recently (i.e. since TB has been in charge) have been signed for an 'undisclosed fee' to avoid sending out that kind of message.

Whether it has worked or not is another matter as we have recently been referred to as 'big-spending Brighton' in the press.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Thought AR was £500k on a 3 way sale and purchase with Man U and Forest. The highest cash buy I can think of is Gordon Smith for £440k I think.

At around the same time Mick Robinson cost 500k pounds.

Amazing how the record transfer fee Brighton has paid for a player, hasn't been topped in 30 years.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Interesting question.

Tough one. I would LOVE us to spunk £2m on one player because that tends to signal that we are one of the "big boys".

However I would rather be prudent and spend on maybe two or three players.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
As good as Lua Lua has been don't think he is worth that sort of money (don't think Newcastle will want that amount either). Spread the money around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here