Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical £2m

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A comment on another thread about the possible cost of Kazenga LuaLua got me thinking about budgets. So what's your view on this scenario:

Tony The Lizard picks up a £2m pot in a Christmas Poker Special in Las Vegas. He calls Gus and says "It's yours to spend on players". Don't worry about wages or agents fee - how would you spend this if you were Gus in this position.

The two fixed rules for this game are that (1) KLL would be sold by Newcastle but for for not a penny less than £2m (that's the original proposition that sparked the thought) and (2) that if we don't buy KLL, he will go back to Newcastle.

So would you buy KLL in January or would you do something else with the cash but see KLL go back to Newcastle? You can only spend your £2m on player transfers.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think there's such thing as a 2m pot in poker and neither would I want us to sign anyone for 2m- use it to build better facilities if anything.

If you're pushing on that then go for KLL.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At our stage of progression we are not at the level yet to pay £2m for 1 player. I would sooner the money be spent, if it was available only for transfers, on about 3 players if and when we have gained promotion this season to help us consolidate next season.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
As much as I love him, and I'm sure somebody must've pointed this out already, we were winning 2-0 when KLL came on at Charlton.

Kaz is great, but he's not going to be the deciding factor on us getting promotion this season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If that is what he would cost for Newcastle to release such a good prospect - and it's probably near the the mark - then I would rather the money was spent elsewhere.

I love that other teams think that he's the threat (and he is a threat) but we have threats all over the pitch. So for me, if it was £2m for KLL or £2m to spend on other players in January (on a use it or lose it basis) - I'd go for other players.

Something like very experienced, proven striker and cover at left back.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
can someone please remind me what our record transfer fee spent is?

£400k - Andy Richie I think.

(PS this is just a hypothetical question. SOme people have said that we should sign KLL at any cost. My view is that we don't need to buy him at any cost - we're a damn good side even without him. And if "any cost" was around £2m, then I think we could spend the money better right now.)

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
thank you! just thought it was interesting as i heard an interesting fact about Blackpool for the first time in there history this year they brought there first million pound player (dj cambell i think)
just proves you can get to the premiership without spending mega bucks

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It would depend who else is available and at what price. I believe Manure are looking to off-load a 20 goal a season striker shortly.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Use the 2 million elsewhere. Shame but there are other great players out there and if wages not a major factor (as mentioned) could certainly get 3 very very good players!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
£2m on one player - no chance. Would much rather invest in the youth set up / training facilities and invest long term for the team rather than on KLL. Who knows how many youth we could get through that not just repay the investment but keep the club in business and top of the leagues for years to come

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wouldn't buy LuaLua for £2M but spend it on 2 or 3 players that would be shit hot playing in the Championship.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I'm with the majority here 3 players @ £600k would be far better value than 1 @ £2M all you need is one stupid tackle and you can kiss your cash goodbye..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here