Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypocrisy

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suspect if he was that shocked, he really isn't cut out for management anyway. Since when has football been 'fair' or predictable?

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
But it was pretty clear in the latter half of last season that there were problems within the camp between the manager and players. People conveniently forget pitiful performances against Port Vale and Southend after which there were very well sources rumours that the players were pretty much in open revolt. There may even have been question marks about how much that upcoming manager was enjoying the role. If he was as brilliant as some suggest, how come he's not been snapped up elsewhere? Possibly not rated. Possibly doesn't have the appetite to be a manager and would prefer a back room role? I don't know, but given his personality, it wouldn't be hard to conclude that he would prefer a position out of the limelight where he can put his seemingly considerable coaching skills to best use.

No axe to grind with DW at all, but I think his spell in charge was over-rated. If we truly were real play off contenders playing great football, why were crowds plummeting? MA should have been given until the end of the season, and the start of the next campaign to show that 'his' team could cut it. Whoever comes in probably will keep us up, because the chances are we would have stayed up anyway now the new signings are starting to bed in.

What is the matter with you, don't come on here quoting games that were poor under Wilkins, you are supporting a team in the 3rd Division what do you expect, of course it will have been rubbish at times. You don't get 69 points by being lucky/over-rated. No one with half a brain ever suggested we were "playing great football", saying that one thing I do know is our defence was far more secure than this seasons embarrassing shambles.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There wouldn't be time to list all the poor home games last season.

Or this for that matter. It's been lousy. However, unlike some, I didn't take any joy in seeing MA struggle. Likewise, I hope the change of manager has an effect. And if it doesn't, I won't be slagging off the new man just because a boss I think would have done a good job in the long term made way for him.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Well, for one thing, the way the team was set up for Millwall was exactly what they'd been working on all week, as MA's sacking came too late to make any difference. Dean White admitted as much afterwards.

So there's every likelihood Albion would have managed that win with MA in charge, and a point at home to Northampton hardly looks unachievable either. The team is getting better because the new players are settling in, and that would have been the same with the man who signed them in the chair. The last thing they probably need now is more disruption.

As it happens, whoever comes in will probably keep us up - because we'd have stayed up anyway, as the new players take effect and the likes of Murray return from injury.

Actually I'd heard that MA was planning a 5-4-1 formation for Millwall - and the caretaker team decided to play 2 up front. Thank God they did.

I was marginally in favour of MA staying, right up until the Peterborough match - when he committed tactical suicide. 3 strikers + Carole. Presumably to accommodate and appease his new signings. Did he lack the courage to tell one of his new signings that they would start on the bench? The outcome was so, so predicatable. Overrun in midfield, outnumbered at the back. And yet another 4-goal drubbing. By full-time I was convinced he had to go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, for one thing, the way the team was set up for Millwall was exactly what they'd been working on all week, as MA's sacking came too late to make any difference. Dean White admitted as much afterwards.

Because he's not an arrogant prick. If he was he'd've come out and talked about how he motivated an underachieving team.

DW/BB gave the prematch warm up, pre match talk, they gave the half time pep talk, they made the substitution decisions, they tweeked and moulded the team as the game progressed. A manager's job doesn't stop friday evening. I think you understate the influence BB/DW had on that game.

Do you honestly think the team would have gone out with the same fire and determination if their prematch talk was "Well, we were unlucky on tuesday lads... group hug!" instead of "you guys let Micky down. He's taken the blame for your inability to get the job done, you owe it to him to go out there and show you care"

Do you think he's going to be looked favourably at by potential managers (assuming he wants to stay on) if he trashes micky the moment he's gone? If he wants the job himself, do you think it will ingratiate him as a team player to the board if he has scared off people with a selfish "Look at how great I did despite having a poor manager to compensate for" attitude?

The team is getting better because the new players are settling in, and that would have been the same with the man who signed them in the chair.

I don't disagree with that sentiment.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Funny how you don't mention DK's sacking of a perfectly good up and coming manager that had absolutely nothing to do with the fans or the "moaners". If that hadn't happened we wouldn't be in this mess so DK only has himself to blame.

I thought there had been a consensus to drop this Wilkins nonsense now - can we not all move on?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
the vastly increased prospect of relegation
Which part of the already improved performances and results suggest the chances of relegation have increased? And how can you increase from a certainty anyway?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Which part of the already improved performances and results suggest the chances of relegation have increased? And how can you increase from a certainty anyway?

We wouldn't have gone down with the quality that was added in the transfer window. And it seems extremely unlikely that Booker and White's influence has really made that much difference seeing as they've been part of the set-up all season.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Dean White admitted no such thing. They had been preparing 4-5-1 all week and him and Bob Booker changed that to 4-4-2 with Virgs up front which ultimately paid off..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dean White admitted no such thing. They had been preparing 4-5-1 all week and him and Bob Booker changed that to 4-4-2 with Virgs up front which ultimately paid off..

"We did our team shape on Friday, then on Friday night we haven't got a manager" is what Dean White said after the game.

No mention of changing that shape in his interviews in the press, although perhaps he said something different on SCR. I didn't hear his comments on the radio.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Hands up then. So how many of the people moaning about DK's "ineptitude"/our lack of options for a decent manager/the vastly increased prospect of relegation were also the ones hounding out an experienced boss who'd just brought in a clutch of players to turn round the season?

The vocal minority are getting what they deserve now for the most ludicrously negative atmosphere I can remember in 30 years watching the Albion. As far as I can see, the only thing DK has done wrong (as with McGhee) is to cave in too early to the moaners.

Adams is a crap Manager who was only going to take us backwards, as he did with the last few clubs he was associated with. Get over it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fans have every right to voice how pissed off they are.

The commitment to pay for a season ticket was made last Spring when Wilkins was continuing to do a sound job and push for a play-off place. Then Knight decides to sack Wilkins and the rest is history.

Knight has under-estimated the strength of fans feeling against the sacking of Wilkins, and if he wanted to redress that he should have gone public with his reasons for the termination.

I don't blame Knight in thinking Adams might have been a good appointment, but no one could have foreseen just how badly he'd do the job. For me here are too many questions about Knight's decision-making and conduct over the last year or so, and telling the media Gannon was our first-choice whilst the recruitment process is still in full swing is the latest in a series of gaffes.

This last couple of weeks has been seminal for me - I won't be renewing my season ticket until we get Falmer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DK's big mistake was going public on the Gannon offer... as a manager myself, I know that is inept... you announce once you are sure it is a yes... what does this do to the other candidates? They now know they are second choice... what does this do to the fans? They now know that whoever is appounted will be second choice...

P1ss-poor management by DK, I'm afraid...

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
We wouldn't have gone down with the quality that was added in the transfer window. And it seems extremely unlikely that Booker and White's influence has really made that much difference seeing as they've been part of the set-up all season.

The players said that the win was for Micky - so BB and DW can't take any credit - shame they didn't win for MA before he left

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The players said that the win was for Micky - so BB and DW can't take any credit - shame they didn't win for MA before he left

Yes, because footballers are known for their deep and honest post-match appraisals, and not for trite cliches uttered because they don't want to upset anyone or put in the mental concentration required for a proper anlysis because they've spent the last 90mins+ playing football and just want to recover from that exercise

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
I await a flaming for this, but I think if we get a win on Saturday, let BB and DW carry on to the end of the season and then go back for Gannon if Stockport miss out on promotion and then see if there is any chance of him changing his mind!

If BB and DW do get a win, why change it around if we are picking more points up than we have all season, look what happened when we changed things round after last season!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I await a flaming for this, but I think if we get a win on Saturday, let BB and DW carry on to the end of the season and then go back for Gannon if Stockport miss out on promotion and then see if there is any chance of him changing his mind!

If BB and DW do get a win, why change it around if we are picking more points up than we have all season, look what happened when we changed things round after last season!

Didn't dean wilkins have a poor run of results while he was in temporary charge before being given the job permanently?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's just forget about Gannon, eh? If the guy turns us down and simultaneously describes his position at Stockport as untenable we're really wasting our time.

I said Dowie at the start and still think he's as good as any other candidate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here