Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Huw Edwards

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I have no issue with the sentencing as it is in line with the guidelines in place, the judges hands are tied, but they need to change.

The judge did mention mental health and was taken into consideration, this shouldn't be a thing in these kind of cases, but I agree with the overall point you are making

If you are a nonce, people have the right to know you are a nonce, would the people making these decisions be happy not knowing if a nonce lived next to them?
Agree. I just don't see what kind of mental health issues could make you more likely to want to access this material.

It's corrosive to society and especially damaging to people who do have mental health issues, but don't use it as an excuse for this type of behaviour to have this on the sentencing guidelines. They should be removed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agree. I just don't see what kind of mental health issues could make you more likely to want to access this material.

It's corrosive to society and especially damaging to people who do have mental health issues, but don't use it as an excuse for this type of behaviour to have this on the sentencing guidelines. They should be removed.
And his mental health is taken into consideration but not the victim who has to live with this forever?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another point, which covers all crimes, is since austerity (2010), the Criminal Justice System was been wrecked, 50% of all Magistrate’s Courts closed, and sold off.

CJS staff were told to encourage guilty pleas as much as possible and sentencing was lighter as a credit, to save money being ‘wasted’ in ‘frivolous‘ trials.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Playing devil’s advocate here, there are many different kinds of mental illnesses. Years ago, we’d call someone like him, sick! It’s just another description.
It isn’t trivialising mental health. He did attempt suicide, which is on record.

Someone who has a heavy cold will say they feel ill, but that doesn’t detract from fatal illnesses.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Paedophilia is a mental deviance rather than a mental illness.

But mental deviance doesn’t keep you out of jail….

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Playing devil’s advocate here, there are many different kinds of mental illnesses. Years ago, we’d call someone like him, sick! It’s just another description.
It isn’t trivialising mental health. He did attempt suicide, which is on record.

Someone who has a heavy cold will say they feel ill, but that doesn’t detract from fatal illnesses.
Harsh, but so be it, I feel no sympathy for him if he does it.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s a bit questionable, the phrasing around Huw Edwards. Quite a lot of news outlets, including the BBC simply not calling him a convicted paedophile. Which he most definitely is.

“Creating images”

“Purchasing images”

Yes he did that. Because he’s a paedophile.

Let’s not shy away from the word.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I'm not disputing that he has a mental illness of some sort.

I just don't see how it is relevant to the crime or the sentence

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Just clicked on this thread for the first time and by default it takes you back to the start. Literally every message by the usual knee-jerk Lefties banging on about ‘poor Huw’ and how awful The Sun was for exposing him. Wonder if any of those posters have had time to reflect on just how wrong they were on this. Probably not…

I think the posters involved had it exactly right on the information they had at the time.

If you were pulling up posts that had been made after the second set of allegations (with some substance) had been made public, then you might have a point to make.

As it stands, you’re just trolling.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just clicked on this thread for the first time and by default it takes you back to the start. Literally every message by the usual knee-jerk Lefties banging on about ‘poor Huw’ and how awful The Sun was for exposing him. Wonder if any of those posters have had time to reflect on just how wrong they were on this. Probably not…
So this is post number 4.

Police say nothing illegal has taken place and will not be pursuing a case. Certainly sounds like a stitch up at the moment. Also highlights the power of the media and social media. I hope that he gets the help he needs.
KZN is, in no way, a 'knee jerk leftie' and what he posted there was correct at the time. If The Sun had exposed Edwards as a paedo then that would have been a piece of investigative journalism that many on here would have had to acknowledge as useful. But they didn't. The police found the images separately.

The politicisation of this is really poor. Seem to be a lot more people who care about the optics for Starmer than care about those poor abused children and the inadequacy of the current sentencing guidelines.

Trolling indeed.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
So this is post number 4.

KZN is, in no way, a 'knee jerk leftie' and what he posted there was correct at the time. If The Sun had exposed Edwards as a paedo then that would have been a piece of investigative journalism that many on here would have had to acknowledge as useful. But they didn't. The police found the images separately.

The politicisation of this is really poor. Seem to be a lot more people who care about the optics for Starmer than care about those poor abused children and the inadequacy of the current sentencing guidelines.

Trolling indeed.
But were the Police investigating HW anyway or did they only do so because of the original Sun article ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But were the Police investigating HW anyway or did they only do so because of the original Sun article ?
There's a convenient online timeline that will help with that and many other questions.

It is the woke BBC though, so you'll have to be paying a TV Licence to read it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There's a convenient online timeline that will help with that and many other questions.

It is the woke BBC though, so you'll have to be paying a TV Licence to read it.

I do think the BBC have some questions to answer, I think they would admit that themselves.

When it came out he should have been suspended without pay.

I imagine most large companies would make incorrect judgement calls at times, sadly for the BBC they are not in the public eye.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I do think the BBC have some questions to answer, I think they would admit that themselves.

When it came out he should have been suspended without pay.

I imagine most large companies would make incorrect judgement calls at times, sadly for the BBC they are not in the public eye.
100% they do.

However, the point I was referring to is that article clearly gives the timeline that states The Sun were contacted by the mother of the boy in the original story. They didn't sniff it out themselves. The police concluded there was no further action. Then nothing happened between July and November, at which point the police discovered a much bigger issue by themselves.

My reason for noting the story is on the BBC website is that I don't believe @carlzeiss is the type that believes what he reads on there.

In terms of how they handled Edwards, however, that was poor.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
worth going back to the early stages of this story when many defending him as initially theyoung person was of correct age etc etc.

This absolutely stunk from the very very start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here