Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hurzeler or Rydstrom [Potter rules himself out]

Please don’t merge. Prefer Hurzeler, Rydstrom, Martin, or other, as new manager?

• Fabian Hurzeler

Votes: 120 88.9%
  • Henrik Rydstrom

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Russell Martin

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Just shows what an absolute bollock we’ve dropped in dispensing with RDZ when these 3 are left on the shortlist. Ye Gods
I think Roberto De Zerbi had to leave as no one is bigger than the club but the managers on offer currently is certainly dire. I hope I’m proved wrong but brace yourself for a long season ahead.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, if it was my decision, it would be Potter - he is the only one I know anything about, he was a good manager for us, was a good fit, and had a project that, frankly, was going pretty bloody well when he left; if we carried on with where he left us after thrashing Leicester 5-2, that wouldn't be a bad starting point. Plus I don't have the belief that he is the re-incarnation of Judas Iscariot or the Spawn of Satan (which I realise is a difficulty for some).
The other two, I know nothing about whatever. If they're better than Potter, great, I'd take them - or one of them - but based on MY knowledge, it would have to be the Spawn of Satan.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
RDZ wanted us to splash out on mid career players with limited resale value in the hope of immediate success so he could look good and get his big move next year.

I don't blame him, it's his career, but I wholeheartedly believe his wishes were in his interest, not the club's.
Arent every manager’s wishes unless you find one that’s been a lifelong fan? Potter’s weren’t neither were they?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It Will Be Okay Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We would all prefer Harry Potter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But you stated that these 3 names a proven candidates. I’m saying they’re clearly not.

Dog with a zzzz bone.

I trust Matt Law of the DT, based on past football stories. Good journalists base their stories on first hand or checked sauces.

It was you who introduced the word “rumour”.

Given the choice of relying on Matt Law or a doubting Thomas with no information at all, it is with great reluctance that I’ll ignore the latter.

Jul 20, 2003
I don't understand the Potter thing.

If we wanted him and he wanted the job surely it would be done.

If we are holding out for something better and/or he is holding out for something better then it's not a great position for either/both.

If I turns out that it IS Potter and we were just waiting to confirm due to some clause that costs Chelsea a couple of million quid, that's fine by me.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Of course Hurlezer and Rydstrom are a risk. But do you lot actually know who our chairman is?! Poyet, Potter and De Zerbi were all big risks which turned out very well. Hyypia didn't of course.

I'm sure TB and PB learnt a lot from that. Sami's personality was never going to fit. Just by watching Hurlezer's celebration at St Pauli's pitch invasion tells me (imho) that i'll have some of that. He's a winner. If he's not or is flopping TB will look elsewhere.

I agree Potter is more 'proven' but arguably he'd be a risk too and besides I don't want him anywhere near BHA. I don't begrudge him leaving (even if Chelsea are vile), I hated his history lesson and easy life comments. Plus some of his football was painful too (season 2 and that losing run).

Anyway it's not 2022. Lets get Hurzeler in!

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Arent every manager’s wishes unless you find one that’s been a lifelong fan? Potter’s weren’t neither were they?
Sure but his wishes were cross purposes to our policy, and policy isn't something you toss away on a whim. So I struggle with the idea we've made a grave mistake when RDZ's plans were for another 12 months at best.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Agreed.

Doesn't matter that he's a quality manager, he had the absolute AUDACITY to mildly patronise the negative minority at the Amex who forgot (or weren't there) where we came from and decided to boo despite being safe and dry in the Premier League. Not to mention, the CHEEK to say that life at Brighton was easier than working for Boehly and the entitled Chelsea fans. Don't even get me STARTED on the fact he left us with the best ever Brighton squad, on a high, to leave for five times the salary and ten times the transfer budget at a bigger club - what kind of scum bag would do that?!

I totally agree with you - we should settle for some mediocre unknown random who may well get us into a relegation battle, rather than go for a quality, proven former Albion manager, who said some things that mildly offended a few of our fans.
Whatever son.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
1. Hurzeler
2. Potter
3. Rydström

I’m only inspired but No.1. No.2 pretty much guarantees a top 10 finish but Rydström would need more experience outside Sweden to be a serious contender.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Dog with a zzzz bone.

I trust Matt Law of the DT, based on past football stories. Good journalists base their stories on first hand or checked sauces.

Given the choice of relying on Matt Law or a doubting Thomas with no information at all, it is with great reluctance that I’ll ignore the latter.
Ok.. no need to get arsey! You said proven. You’re clearly telling a porky when saying that, because like the rest of us, you have no idea!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Dog with a zzzz bone.

Reading the snip you posted, it does only say it's "believed" that Rydstrom and Hurzeler are on the shortlist.

The only bit the writer actually commits to is that talks have been had about Potter returning.

JManGulls

Apr 29, 2024
Hurzeler…

At the end of the day, we got to where we are because we take risks. The minute we try to play it safe, we lose what Brighton is all about and only leave ourselves with 2 possible outcomes, staying mid table or going backwards.

Hurzeler is a risk, but it fits our story. If he has the backing of the club, there will be a good reason for it.

There is huge potential for success, and equal risk, but if it doesn’t work out then we can learn from it and roll the dice again. That is what we do best as a club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Just shows what an absolute bollock we’ve dropped in dispensing with RDZ when these 3 are left on the shortlist. Ye Gods
We had little choice. It was part ways when we did, or sit around waiting for him to run off at the first job offer. The right decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here