Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull City fans not happy with us....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The disgrace is:

1. Ken Brown's quote in the press release "The University of Brighton has a long-arranged open day and the date is unavoidable".
2. The club didnt announce it until 13th September.

Suggests the club knew about it long ago, unless it was long arranged but the Uni forgot to tell the club. In which event, you would have expected the club to have asked such questions and got contractual answers long ago!

This.

It's not so much the fact that the game's been moved, but more the delay in announcing it.

On another note, but related, I've only just spotted this morning, it's Nov 26th before we get a home 3pm Saturday kick off :eek:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yep, Ken Brown's comment is poor to say the least. I have every sympathy with the Hull fans on this one.

Hull (and exiled Albion fans) will have bought train tickets etc well in advance.

The Uni open days have known for some time - why wait until the 13th of September to announce the time change?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I am guessing the University didn't tell them until they got back from the Summer Holiday. Still makes us look small time though.

The news report on seaulls.co.uk said it was a "long arranged open day" suggesting that it everybody was aware before the fixtures were released

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
The news report on seaulls.co.uk said it was a "long arranged open day" suggesting that it everybody was aware before the fixtures were released

Its just possible I suppose that the 'long arranged open day' was known by the University but hadn't been communicated to us. Either way its a bit piss poor and makes you wonder how many other 'special events' there holding at the University this season!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Its just possible I suppose that the 'long arranged open day' was known by the University but hadn't been communicated to us. Either way its a bit piss poor and makes you wonder how many other 'special events' there holding at the University this season!

Still a balls up by Ken Brown, as he should have got legally binding dates from the Uni long ago to cover off such clashes.

Surely the Uni doesnt have as little as a 4 and a half week call on forcing us to rearrange matches? If so, and we ever fall out with them, they could cause chaos to our future fixtures.

Very amateur!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What still gets me is if the KO is 5:30 on the day surley there will still be a crossover with fans arriving early for the game and students still looking around the university and still using the car?.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I completely agree with them. We would say exactly the same in the same situation. The club should refund any train ticket already bought.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The disgrace is:

1. Ken Brown's quote in the press release "The University of Brighton has a long-arranged open day and the date is unavoidable".
2. The club didnt announce it until 13th September.

Suggests the club knew about it long ago, unless it was long arranged but the Uni forgot to tell the club. In which event, you would have expected the club to have asked such questions and got contractual answers long ago!

Unfortunately absolutely THIS.

The University told the club a long, long time ago of dates where they had events where it would be very problematic for the Albion to have a 3pm Saturday kick-off due to car parking contention.

As such is there any good reason why the club, when the fixtures were announced, weren't able to flag up where we'd been scheduled at home to say "There is a significant chance these fixtures may be moved - fans who need to make travel arrangements are advised to await further instruction" etc?

Unfortunately, I suspect it fell down the cracks what with everyone at the club operating at about 120% as part of the move to the Amex.

Hopefully the club will be able to be more proactive for the 2012-13 fixtures. Not much good to Hull this time round though, unfortunately.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Brighton should have told the League we need an away game on the day. Failing that, they should have swapped Hull with Millwall away the following week. Or swap with the West Ham game, much simpler for fans to get back to London leaving Falmer at 19:15+ than to get back to Hull. Sounds simple to me so obviously someone in the office cocked up!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Whatever

I know for a fact that throughout the 90s our games up there tended to be mid-week as my best mate is a Hull fan (and I used to be at the games!)..... and imagine the hassle of getting back to Sussex midweek from Hull when the games finished around 9.45pm!!!

We even had a friday night game up there about 15 years ago!!

Bit naughty to change the timing quite late on, but 5.30pm start is preferable to 7.45, which is the shit we used to have to deal with

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Whatever

I know for a fact that throughout the 90s our games up there tended to be mid-week as my best mate is a Hull fan (and I used to be at the games!)..... and imagine the hassle of getting back to Sussex midweek from Hull when the games finished around 9.45pm!!!

We even had a friday night game up there about 15 years ago!!

Bit naughty to change the timing quite late on, but 5.30pm start is preferable to 7.45, which is the shit we used to have to deal with

Not particularly relevant to now, but quite surprised at the number of non Saturday games we have played against them over the last 20 odd years, bearing in mind the hassle for fans (but on bright side we def have upper hand on results for those non Saturday fixtures) :

Season Date Home Score Away Competition
2000/2001 Fri 06 Oct Hull City 0 - 2 Brighton & HA League Division Three
1999/2000 Tue 31 Aug Brighton & HA 3 - 0 Hull City League Division Three
1998/1999 Tue 10 Nov Hull City 0 - 2 Brighton & HA League Division Three
1995/1996 Tue 23 Jan Hull City 0 - 0 Brighton & HA League Division Two
1992/1993 Wed 14 Apr Brighton & HA 2 - 0 Hull City League Division Two
Mon 28 Dec Hull City 1 - 0 Brighton & HA League Division Two
1990/1991 Wed 24 Oct Brighton & HA 3 - 1 Hull City Second Division
1989/1990 Fri 06 Apr Brighton & HA 2 - 0 Hull City Second Division
1988/1989 Mon 01 May Brighton & HA 1 - 1 Hull City Second Division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here