Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Not going to happen. It'll clearly be Steele in goal with Rushworth on the bench until such time as Verbruggen is back. Then it'll be Verbruggen in goal with Steele reverting to perma-bench and Rushworth, dunno, somewhere else
If that happens then that would be the biggest concern for me with regards to Hurzeler.

Steele being in the squad ahead of Rushworth would concern me more than losing Gilmour this summer.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Even with a fully fit squad the jury is out for me with this young inexperienced coach. Something doesn't sit right with me. Some of our defending especially in wide ares is a major concern.
Steele shouldn't be anywhere near being our 2nd choice keeper.. Give that to Rushworth. Sima looks awful.
On the flip side some of the defending by both Japanese teams were also awful
Whereas everyone is entitled to an opinion..and the fact I agree about Sima...the rest I feel you're talking out of your arse...but as I said everyone is entitled to an opinion

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Whilst the goals are soft. We are early in preseason. Look at the team playing during the second half today... we will have a better idea come Villarreal!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Interesting.

As best as I could tell, in the second half we had three at the back in possession - Webster, Weir and Offiah. First half Van Hecke and Veltman stayed back in possession with Barco and Moran pushing into midfield.
I'm not sure the commentator was that good, he thought Lamptey was one of the back 3 😁. Definitely looked 4 at back or 2 when attacking, like you said. Bloody dodgy but we will see!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Who are our strongest front three? If Herzeler plays his preferred 3-4-3, I'd start with Mitoma on the left, Joe Pedro central, and then Minteh /March, when fit, on the right.

Then 4 across the middle. Barco, Wieffer, Baleba or NEW CM, plus NEW right sided defender.

The 3 at the back . New CB. Dunk. Van Hecke/Webster.

A place must be found for him but still can't see where he fits in a 3-4-3- system.
Fair enough. I think we'll see lots of rotation (hopefully not goalie!) with sometimes Enciso instead of Mitoma, and sometimes him as a 10.
You're right though there are lots of options unless some guys are loaned.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Has he been here a month yet, Herr Hurz? 8-9 starters is not even in Japan. Of course it’s hard to see where this is going to land. I bet it will be fine in due time, keep the faith!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’ll be honest, I’m really worried about us defensively. We need a couple of additions as a priority and one of those has to be a quality centre half.

As per last season, if we lose Dunk for any period, I feel we are hugely exposed. JPVH is also not the same player without Dunk alongside him and I’m afraid the current back up options we have aren’t good enough.

A right back is also a must, but I think that will be addressed this window.

Bring in another decent midfield option for the seeming outgoing Gilmour then I think we are in really good shape.

The attacking options we have are frightening, we just need to back that up with our defensive options to make sure we get the right balance, without doubt we will be under cosh against the better sides in the PL and with that in mind we need the strength in depth should we incur the same number of injuries as last season. We don’t have that depth in quality defensively IMO.

PS - Jason Steele should be nowhere near our match day squad. I’ll be hugely disappointed if it’s not Verbruggen and Rushworth this season.
I would reserve any worries about us defensively until after our first choice centre back (& captain), goalkeeper, defensive mid, and left back are in the team. And until we've made the inevitable right back signing. The defence you have seen in these friendlies is potentially just Van Hecke of who will become considered first choice for next season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Who are our strongest front three? If Herzeler plays his preferred 3-4-3, I'd start with Mitoma on the left, Joe Pedro central, and then Minteh /March, when fit, on the right.

Then 4 across the middle. Barco, Wieffer, Baleba or NEW CM, plus NEW right sided defender.

The 3 at the back . New CB. Dunk. Van Hecke/Webster.

A place must be found for him but still can't see where he fits in a 3-4-3- system.
Enciso? Cozier-Duberry? €20m Osman?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Even with a fully fit squad the jury is out for me with this young inexperienced coach. Something doesn't sit right with me. Some of our defending especially in wide ares is a major concern.
Steele shouldn't be anywhere near being our 2nd choice keeper.. Give that to Rushworth. Sima looks awful.
On the flip side some of the defending by both Japanese teams were also awful
I agree with much of that but you're going to have to suck up Jason Steele as second choice keeper I'm afraid. There's no way quality keepers like Rushworth and Beadle are staying here to be number two keepers. They're simply too young and too good for that, and are better off out on loan.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The two centre backs seem fairly static but there is an incredible amount of movement and positions swapping ahead of them.

Like Potterball, we see the formation changing and evolving as the match passes.

However, we did seem exposed with just two central defenders a few times when the wingbacks were missing.

Milner will be a central midfielder for us this season for sure. But who knows who else will be at this point?
Well that covers two games before Milner is injured again

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We're projecting all this stuff on Hürzeler who (face it) we don't really know from Adam other than his St Pauli vids and the scattergun approach to Japan friendlies. A month from now we'll know way more than we do now and we can start to form a proper opinion
I know ALL about him. I saw a couple of video on YOUTUBE.

And everyone should know that two friendlies in Japan are season DEAFENING.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I agree with much of that but you're going to have to suck up Jason Steele as second choice keeper I'm afraid. There's no way quality keepers like Rushworth and Beadle are staying here to be number two keepers. They're simply too young and too good for that, and are better off out on loan.
Would you be happy with the DeZerbi approach and spread the games out between Bart and Rushworth?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would you be happy with the DeZerbi approach and spread the games out between Bart and Rushworth?
No I'd rather Verbruggen was #1 and when he's injured we put up with Steele, who knows he's not good enough to be a regular premier league keeper but is a consummate professional and would do the job every now and then.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
From what I saw I reckon that's best looked at as a back 4, rather than a back 3. The reason for the confusion is the full backs looking like they're primarily there to attack than defend. This is by design rather than accident, but Verdy shredded us at times. We look like a side who needs a right back

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

Rushworth has earnt his stripes, successful loans, his last being in the Championship where he excelled.

I honestly don’t see how a further loan is going to now progress him further, unless it’s within the Premier League and that’s hugely unlikely IMO.

Now is the time to integrate him into the first team, let the coaching team have a good look at him and mould him into the number one we want him to be, expose him into the first team setup, give him some game time and allow him to genuinely compete with Verbruggen. Not just have a few weeks here in pre season.

I really don’t think people appreciate how good Rushworth is! Mark my words, he will be Englands number one in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here