Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We certainly need to work on our defensive game. We’ve seemed very open at times.
Could it be were more open due to the style picked for this opposition?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our forward line looks now like what RDZ wanted with overloads of pacy attacking players taking on defenders causing havoc around the opposition box when attacking.
The pressing in the first half yesterday was excellent. If you score 4 goals a game and the opposition score a couple you win the game.
We surely can’t start the season with Steele Mitoma didn’t look impressed when he conceded that first goal .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Rushworth has earnt his stripes, successful loans, his last being in the Championship where he excelled.

I honestly don’t see how a further loan is going to now progress him further, unless it’s within the Premier League and that’s hugely unlikely IMO.

Now is the time to integrate him into the first team, let the coaching team have a good look at him and mould him into the number one we want him to be, expose him into the first team setup, give him some game time and allow him to genuinely compete with Verbruggen. Not just have a few weeks here in pre season.

I really don’t think people appreciate how good Rushworth is! Mark my words, he will be Englands number one in the future.
My take would be to get 2 good players in every position and let them fight for the shirt

A future England no 1 or a current Dutch no 1. Verbruggen is surely in pole position for the place.

But hey the fella is injured, so if Rushworth comes in and performs, it's his place to lose. That, of course is predicated on him being fit to take part in our last pre season games. Worrying that he couldn't get on the pitch for either game. As things stand, Steele starts

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My comment was flippant of course! I just wonder if Fab used ALL the available players to see how they fared, give them all a run out, even if they were playing out of position. I’m sure that come the start of the PL season all will be resolved.
Yes, I'm sure it'll be fine come the start of the season, or at least once we've got the tough start out of the way.

It was just a bit disconcerting seeing how poor we looked and I had to keep reminding myself that it was a) a friendly, b)a lot of those players won't be match day regulars or even in the squad, c) there were a number of important players who didn't even get on the pitch and d)8 important first team players didn't even make the trip to Japan.

And as a bonus I doubt we've finished all our transfer business.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Looking at the Strengths of Gomez and Wieffer on WhoScored.com and it seems that we are looking to toughen up in CM.

1722252034041.png
1722252057617.png

Add Baleba to that and it's starting to look like we're building an engine room that will try to win the ball and hit one of our two dozen wingers.

With five subs available it would be fun to regularly sub both wingers at HT. Just endlessly releasing fresh wasps to torture the opposing defence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're projecting all this stuff on Hürzeler who (face it) we don't really know from Adam other than his St Pauli vids and the scattergun approach to Japan friendlies. A month from now we'll know way more than we do now and we can start to form a proper opinion

Exactly. Could everyone please stop discussing what our season might be like.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
If only RDZ was a bit more patient, a little less stubborn/demanding and a lot more adaptable, I think he’d of been licking his lips at the prospect of what he’d of had at his disposal this season. Can’t help thinking he shot himself in the foot really!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looking at the Strengths of Gomez and Wieffer on WhoScored.com and it seems that we are looking to toughen up in CM.

View attachment 186224View attachment 186226

Add Baleba to that and it's starting to look like we're building an engine room that will try to win the ball and hit one of our two dozen wingers.

With five subs available it would be fun to regularly sub both wingers at HT. Just endlessly releasing fresh wasps to torture the opposing defence.
Exactly the way I think we should be playing.

I'd sacrifice a lot of that possession (hopefully won't have to) for a more physically competitive engine room. Villa away still has me waking in the night screaming.

And I agree about the wingers. Ours keep getting injured, because A) the twisty turny / sharp acceleration nature of the position puts so much pressure on the body and B) they get get zero protection. So we need to bring them in and out of the team and from what I've seen, the B team ACD, Sarmiento, Adingra, Osman, will do every bit as good a job as Mitoma and Minteh, especially when the M's have had an hour to run them into the ground.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If only RDZ was a bit more patient, a little less stubborn/demanding and a lot more adaptable, I think he’d of been licking his lips at the prospect of what he’d of had at his disposal this season. Can’t help thinking he shot himself in the foot really!
Like Poyet and Potter before.

Patience is a virtue that is often blinded by ambition.

TNBA

TTF

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's going to take a while for it all to gel isn't it?

When you consider Dunk's comments about De Zerbi's first few weeks:

“If I am being honest, the first couple of weeks were horrendous … I wouldn’t say horrendous, they were baffling. Training changed dramatically, we worked on a lot of different stuff and the first couple of weeks were a really hard transition. I see football in a completely different way now, I picture it in a different way and that is the biggest thing. Football is not what I thought it was. Just how we play now. The idea of what I did before, I thought it made sense. But when you learn something completely different, you believe in it and this makes sense. You think ‘why didn’t I know this?’ and ‘why didn’t I do this before?"
Maybe Hurzeler's methods aren't quite as 'different' as RdZ's and there certainly won't be a language barrier that Dunk also referenced as a source of bafflement, but there is still a shit-tonne of new stuff for players to learn and rehearse in training. They will have to go through it all again when the rest of the squad returns/arrives too.

Maybe it will click from the game 1 of the new season, but I wouldn't rule out the odd howler and won't personally be too worried if we struggle for points initially.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having seen both games in Tokyo, I have decided to include BHA in every one of my BTTS accas.
Hopefully the return of Dunk and the addition of Wieffer might ruin your bets in the best way. I have high hopes for the Dutchman. Having spent the last few seasons buying young players who are always described as 'The (enter nationality) Messi', it's good to be turning our attention to some '(enter nationality) Rodris'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hopefully the return of Dunk and the addition of Wieffer might ruin your bets in the best way. I have high hopes for the Dutchman. Having spent the last few seasons buying young players who are always described as 'The (enter nationality) Messi', it's good to be turning our attention to some '(enter nationality) Rodris'.
Yeah I'm not expecting us to set up and deploy exactly how we did in Tokyo, and as you say, we have lots of experienced personnel to come in for when it gets real. But the early impressions are that we are going to be taking a lot of risks bombing forward. I thought RDZ was (initially) like GP on steroids. Hurzeler might be like RDZ on crack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here