Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I still think we are integrating a lot of new players. Wieffer will eventually just sit in front of the 2 centre backs and when O'Reilly plays in the middle with Baleba we will be a different proposition. However, until everyone's up to speed, we need to stop the high line.
Who is this O'Reilly you speak of? Did Houghton sign him and put him in the U18s?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can understand why everyone wants us to stop playing a 'high line', but isn't this fundamental to Hürzeler's underlying strategy ? If you are pressing in the final third with 6/7 players to cause the intended planned chaos there, I don't see how you can have the remaining 3/4 players 30 yards behind them.

I'm not saying the strategy is wrong, but there is certainly some adjustment needed. It's obviously a high risk/reward approach but probably needs some tweaking (he says with some understatement) when playing some of the best teams in the world :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can understand why everyone wants us to stop playing a 'high line', but isn't this fundamental to Hürzeler's underlying strategy ? If you are pressing in the final third with 6/7 players to cause the intended planned chaos there, I don't see how you can have the remaining 3/4 players 30 yards behind them.

I'm not saying the strategy is wrong, but there is certainly some adjustment needed. It's obviously a high risk/reward approach but probably needs some tweaking (he says with some understatement) when playing some of the best teams in the world :thumbsup:

The strategy/tactic is covered fairly extensively online, FH isn’t the only one to use this. For example Angie at Spurs, Klopp often a similar high line. Van Der Ven, VVD, Konate, Wijnaldum, Porro, Matip, for example all had great pace.

When the ball is lost and not won back, it requires some (but not all) defenders/midfielders to work as one in covering back. As a unit. Some pace required obviously.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The strategy/tactic is covered fairly extensively online, FH isn’t the only one to use this. For example Angie at Spurs, Klopp often a similar high line. Van Der Ven, VVD, Konate, Wijnaldum, Porro, Matip, for example all had great pace.

When the ball is lost and not won back, it requires some (but not all) defenders/midfielders to work as one in covering back. As a unit. Some pace required obviously.

Did someone say on Saturday that the Webster/Igor change was because Igor was our quickest centre back ? Seeing the way we are now playing I think it's fairly obvious that our signings this summer have lacked a 'quick' centre back (although if we had, they'd probably be injured for the season by now :facepalm:)

So, given what we've got, where is the pace going to come from, Ferdi, Lamptey ? I'm sure Estupinian used to be quite quick ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did someone say on Saturday that the Webster/Igor change was because Igor was our quickest centre back ? Seeing the way we are now playing I think it's fairly obvious that our signings this summer have lacked a 'quick' centre back (although if we had, they'd probably be injured for the season by now :facepalm:)

So, given what we've got, where is the pace going to come from, Ferdi, Lamptey ? I'm sure Estupinian used to be quite quick ???

NSC’ers have always told us that Webster is lightning quick.

Against Wolves in the cup and Chelsea we saw that’s nowhere quick as pacy forwards. Nor is Dunk.

I think FH will have to adapt tactics, someone posted a new quote where he says he’ll be looking at that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Against Wolves in the cup and Chelsea we saw that’s nowhere quick as pacy forwards. Nor is Dunk.

I think FH will have to adapt tactics, someone posted a new quote where he says he’ll be looking at that.

I think he is the quickest of all our CBs, I’m not sure Igor is TBH….
Webbo also reads the game really well, particularly vs Wolves.

But if you’re having to turn against an on-rushing forward, you’re already at a disadvantage.

I do agree though Fab will have to consider his tactics.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Our two goals against Chelsea game directly from a high press. If you don’t have a high line you can’t do that. So we may tighten up at the back but will lose goal scoring opportunities.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I do think he will need to adapt to what he's got, and it's good to see he's open to ideas. He's only managed 6 games in the toughest league so far and hasn't done too badly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do think he will need to adapt to what he's got, and it's good to see he's open to ideas. He's only managed 6 games in the toughest league so far and hasn't done too badly.

Would love to see an adaption. I actually thought we were outstanding against Forest, except for the vulnerability to single pass counter attacks last 25 minutes.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I've had a bit more time to look at the highlights and think about the high line some more. I absolutely get it tactically, and although pacey centre backs would be some help, it's more about anticipating the threat.

We haven't conceded because of it per se, but my major problem with it is a psychological one rather than one based on stats or evidence.

Leaving so much space in behind must be an encouragement to the opposition and must have attackers thinking more aggressively than perhaps they would against a lower defensive line. Any quick striker is going to love to see all that space to run in, knowing that a clever bit of movement could give them a clear opportunity to score.

Why give so much encouragement so early and readily? The problem against Chelsea was that what we are doing was obvious and they could smell the opportunity and were aggressively looking to exploit it.

I definitely think there is an argument to de-risk and start lower both in engagement and defensive line early in the game against stronger opposition. You could then then flip to increase both lines and squeeze the opposition more as the game goes on.
I think this is a good summary. The high line/high press does have positives and can lead to goals for us, but it should be deployed as a sub-game plan within a match. Not used for an entire 90 against strong opposition. He needs to coach the team to use the shape of good mid-block. We don’t need to go Royball and drop to our own 18 yard line, but we do need to be able to maintain a defensive shape for periods out of possession in the mid third of the pitch, screening through balls and preventing runners from deep. As others have said, we have plenty of players who are good defenders in more traditional set-ups but in a risky system they are liable to end up looking like they’re useless, which is fundamentally terrible for their confidence. Frankly I’d be amazed if Dunk hasn’t already spoken to FH about it this week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here