Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was optimistic that Baleba and Wieffer would control the midfield with Wieffer sitting and Bsleba running at them. Unfortunately, Wieffer gave the ball away ALL the time. It was a shocking performance, really shocking. I still think Baleba is key for us but Wieffer has to improve fast or we will be under pressure in our own half most of the time against most of the teams.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Watching that, I can only conclude that most of our team do not truly know or understand what our method is, or what it is meant to be. 50 years since I first stood on the terrace at the goldstone next month, and I have never ever seen a game where genuinely, realistically, we could have easily conceded 9 goals in a first half. Utter shambles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Luckily we’ve got a thoughtful manager with a good team around him who’ll be looking at how to adapt………

It was all very predictable and I can't understand why Fab thought it was a risk worth taking.

After that, we persisted with not wanting to set foot in our own half, meaning anything pinged long by them left us in the shit so they just kept doing it

Who 'da' thought eh

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was optimistic that Baleba and Wieffer would control the midfield with Wieffer sitting and Bsleba running at them. Unfortunately, Wieffer gave the ball away ALL the time. It was a shocking performance, really shocking. I still think Baleba is key for us but Wieffer has to improve fast or we will be under pressure in our own half most of the time against most of the teams.
We’ve only won two league games when Baleba has played more than 70 minutes and that was last season. Caceido at the same age turned into a winning team almost immediately. The lad simply is not learning from his mistakes.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We’ve only won two league games when Baleba has played more than 70 minutes and that was last season. Caceido at the same age turned into a winning team almost immediately. The lad simply is not learning from his mistakes.
That's harsh. He's been one of our better players all season and his development has been great. Today wasn't his fault.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
That's harsh. He's been one of our better players all season and his development has been great. Today wasn't his fault.
No, and he has been excellent in attack, but surely someone on Fabi’s team is planning to have a word with him about giving away penalties. When was the last time the same Albion player conceded penalties in back to back matches?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was all very predictable and I can't understand why Fab thought it was a risk worth taking.

Who 'da' thought eh

Ipswich, Forest and Wolves all gave the clear warning signs of an Albion vulnerability to the counter. The Telegraph say that’s now 8 recent Albion goals conceded from these circumstances.

So why set up exactly the same against the most expensive team in football, with a load of pace men in their forwards? I mention the money because they’re more effective players.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
No, and he has been excellent in attack, but surely someone on Fabi’s team is planning to have a word with him about giving away penalties. When was the last time the same Albion player conceded penalties in back to back matches?
He'll learn. He's also doing the leg work for about three players and playing in front of a defence over-stretched. That's no coincidence.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

I don’t know, he gave away another penalty. It’s as much his fault as Webster, and Webster is being hailed over the coals for it whilst Baleba is praised for it.

I like Baleba and think he’s going to be a really good player for us, but first half the midfield was virtually non-existent and Chelsea played through us at will and he was a part of that midfield. He’s bad for giving the ball away as well as being pretty rash.
The praise he’s getting just now is kind of mad for me, given the stuff he’s still getting wrong.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Ipswich, Forest and Wolves all gave the clear warning signs of an Albion vulnerability to the counter. The Telegraph say that’s now 8 recent Albion goals conceded from these circumstances.

So why set up exactly the same against the most expensive team in football, with a load of pace men in their forwards? I mention the money because they’re more effective players.
I also think it was mad not to pay closer attention to Palmer. You get a man on him surely? It's not like we don't have a track record of doing that. We've done it effectively with Odegard, Haaland etc.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don’t know, he gave away another penalty. It’s as much his fault as Webster, and Webster is being hailed over the coals for it whilst Baleba is praised for it.

I like Baleba and think he’s going to be a really good player for us, but first half the midfield was virtually non-existent and Chelsea played through us at will and he was a part of that midfield. He’s bad for giving the ball away as well as being pretty rash.
The praise he’s getting just now is kind of mad for me, given the stuff he’s still getting wrong.
I’m with you don’t quite get the hype, if anyone needed a loan for a season it was him.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
I also think it was mad not to pay closer attention to Palmer. You get a man on him surely? It's not like we don't have a track record of doing that. We've done it effectively with Odegard, Haaland etc.
Haven’t read or posted in the match thread so apologies if this point has been made to death but Palmer’s first goal looked a certainty as soon as Dunk decided he’d rather retreat to our goal and attempt a goal line clearance than keep marking his man. Palmer was given so much space (and time even if he didn’t need it in the end).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Haven’t read or posted in the match thread so apologies if this point has been made to death but Palmer’s first goal looked a certainty as soon as Dunk decided he’d rather retreat to our goal and attempt a goal line clearance than keep marking his man. Palmer was given so much space (and time even if he didn’t need it in the end).
It should have been done pre game. But if I remember correctly it went post, disallowed goal, goal in about five minutes. At what point does someone go 'we need to get on this kid'?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Very soft pen though. sancho went for a hole that wasn’t there.
And if he is giving those then Mitoma should have had one…
. (And that wasn’t either)

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Very soft pen though. sancho went for a hole that wasn’t there.
And if he is giving those then Mitoma should have had one…
. (And that wasn’t either)
Indeed, but given they were, in both instances. No doubt he’ll learn from it, but we are taking enough risks as it is, no need to give away cheap penalties as well.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Watching that today, we are just so, so easy to carve open. Before today, the only PL football I’ve seen this season are the highlights of West Ham vs Chelsea and us vs Forest last week. Based on those two games, I predicted a 5-1 defeat for today in the Predictions thread and I’m still not sure how it didn’t finish up as 9-2.

Poor old Bart is going to be a nervous wreck with a bad back by Christmas.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watching that today, we are just so, so easy to carve open. Before today, the only PL football I’ve seen this season are the highlights of West Ham vs Chelsea and us vs Forest last week. Based on those two games, I predicted a 5-1 defeat for today in the Predictions thread and I’m still not sure how it didn’t finish up as 9-2.

Poor old Bart is going to be a nervous wreck with a bad back by Christmas.

Thank gawd Steele wasn’t playing. The NSC lynching party would be combing Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here