Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield after Murray

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OK, not getting involved in the should we keep him or not debate, but another way of looking at it.

We all trust Poyet so would agree that the decision is up to him. That leaves Poyet with a simple do I want him or not?

If the answer is yes I do then they should be offering him a new contract now, when he has a year left.

If the answer is no then they should be selling him now because they will get a better price

The third option of course is that they offer him a contract which he rejects, so they still get rid of him.

Too often in the past few years we've left it until there's only a few months left to secure a new contract and it always bites us in the arse. The Dean Hammond and Nickey Forster situations should never have happened.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm a little suspicious of the "it's only may" argument. I mean, to a degree I agree, and am personally not too concerned yet, and probably won't be until the season starts and the window closes.

But it is only may, yet Norwich have signed crofts. Players are moving, deals are being made. We've only announced deals for players who were already with us. Gus has mentioned having a list of ten players, nine of which were checked off the list for being too expensive, on top of the issues others have listed. There are legitimate reasons to be concerned.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Tempted to say let him go if he won's sign a contract extension but unless Poyet has a replacement in mind already I think it's a very dangerous game. If we're looking to buy a proven goalscorer and other clubs know we have money in our back-pocket and desperately need someone we're going to get shafted in the transfer market.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
All well & good Spanish Seagull, however, two good players already gone, Forster & Dickinson unlikely to return & Kuipers offloaded, Poyet not signing his contract, speculation that Murray will go & the concensus that transfer funds and budgets will be limited......... & you wonder why some fans are becoming spooked?

We had all this bollocks this time last year & the previous year, that we finished the previous season strongly, however, failed to strengthen out team & subsequently dived when the season started.

I would have expected announcement by the club where we are looking to strengthen, budget, who we are interested in & some bids by now. Though we have deathly silence. Ok Mr Bloom is a professional poker player, but it's not a way to buy new players at the 11th hour is it? Last season we were utter shite in pre season friendlies. I want to see a couple of decent signings next month, bedded down, for the friendlies. Not to much to ask!

Until you have something sensible to post please don't bother.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
anything over 300k would represent a decent bit of business.

yes he's a good player and has at times turned in some convincing displays in the stripes, but overall i don't think he's that great. very petulant, frequently looks indifferent (if that's his style then why does he look keen, eager and grafts like the rest of the team on certain days, like last year's saints away game?) and perhaps for Gus his brainless red card in the last game of last season was the last straw.

in gus we trust. if gus doesn't think he's the answer then he's not the answer!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think he might be doin' an offski tbh, but I've been thinking that virtually since he signed for us tbh. If he stays, I just hope he gets his head 100% on his game & cuts out all the whinging & stupidity. We shall see what we shall see...

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Yeah lets get rid of him, we can buy someone like Torres or Rooney...that way we will have 25 goal a season player!!
???

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Everyone keeps banging out about a 25+ goal scorer but do people realise how difficult they are to find. Only 3 players did it in league 1 last season. Lambert 31,
Paynter 26, Beckford 25. And that was it. Getting rid of Murray would be a dreadful decision.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Didn't he (Murray) only score 14 goals last year? A pretty decent effort, admittedly, but if he hadn'd spent so long on the sidelines due to suspensions he might just have been the goal-machine every club could do with. So what's in going to be next season Glenn: more of the same - or an upwards trajectory in your professional football career??

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Everyone keeps banging out about a 25+ goal scorer but do people realise how difficult they are to find. Only 3 players did it in league 1 last season. Lambert 31,
Paynter 26, Beckford 25. And that was it. Getting rid of Murray would be a dreadful decision.

nail and head

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Makes me laugh really, if someone other than Murray got 10 yellow cards and 2 red cards they would be hounded out of the club (ala Virgo) but it seems Murray is the best thing since sliced bread. Despite only scoring 14 goals last season...mainly because of his own petulance and missing about 10 games due to suspension.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
does anybody know his season by season goalscoring record covering his full career?

I have the starts/subs for this season just gone, the other seasons I got from Soccerbase and I couldn't separate starts from subs, so it's appearances.

2009/10
Goals: 14 Yellow cards: 10 Red Cards: 2
Starts 29 Subs 7
Appearances 36

2008/9
Goals: 12 Yellow cards: 3 Red Cards: 1
Appearances: 28

2007/8
Goals: 18 Yellow cards: 5 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 48

2006/7
Goals: 19 Yellow cards: 2 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 46

2005/6
Goals: 4 Yellow cards: 1 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 34

2004/5
Goals: 2 Yellow cards: 2 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 22

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I have the starts/subs for this season just gone, the other seasons I got from Soccerbase and I couldn't separate starts from subs, so it's appearances.

2009/10
Goals: 14 Yellow cards: 10 Red Cards: 2
Starts 29 Subs 7
Appearances 36

2008/9
Goals: 12 Yellow cards: 3 Red Cards: 1
Appearances: 28

2007/8
Goals: 18 Yellow cards: 5 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 48

2006/7
Goals: 19 Yellow cards: 2 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 46

2005/6
Goals: 4 Yellow cards: 1 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 34

2004/5
Goals: 2 Yellow cards: 2 Red Cards: 0
Appearances: 22

cheers. i read that as 2 poor seasons, 2 good seasons and 2 okay seasons. looks like his disciplinary issues started with us, perhaps that was down to the culture around the club back in the adams/slade days... not that murrey's record improved much under gus!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's really only last year that his disciplinary was bad, was that down to having to play a a loan striker so much?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here