Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HR / Contract question re: Bank Hols

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
funny, this came up recently at work and its a classic british law muddle. apparently there is a legal minimum number of holidays a year (25 or 28?) that all employees are entitled to. however there is no law that states you must have bank holidays off. so any company can make you work bank hols, as long as you have the total number of holidays over the year.

even most employers dont quite get this as many office workers will get 25 days plus the bank holidays.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Statutory holiday entitlement is 28 days - which is the old 20 days plus 8 BANK holidays but there is no distinction between these - week Tuesday is at an employers discretion.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I like the way we are told we're the laziest in Europe compared to other nations.

I honestly can't recall every hearing that about us as a nation. Often heard how the French are always on strike, or the Spanish only work half-days, or the Greeks retiring at 50, but I don't think I've ever heard us described as lazy.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I honestly can't recall every hearing that about us as a nation. Often heard how the French are always on strike, or the Spanish only work half-days, or the Greeks retiring at 50, but I don't think I've ever heard us described as lazy.

I've only heard us been describe as lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages...which is true really...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the basis that our year planners were issued to us with both days greyed out, I'm assuming my company are expecting not to see me in the office, so I'll be off to the beach.....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Our productivity and work efficiency are lower than several countries and they have a shorter working week than us.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Bank hols at work are optional. You can either work, take holiday or take unpaid leave. The holiday allowance for bank hols is built into the 28 days (or 29) holiday entitlement per year.

Works well for me :)

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Bank hols at work are optional. You can either work, take holiday or take unpaid leave. The holiday allowance for bank hols is built into the 28 days (or 29) holiday entitlement per year.

Works well for me :)

Try explaining that, and pro-rata entitlement for part time staff to my lot.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
That's a little sneaky, but they're entitled to do it. Seems strange when everywhere else will be closed. Fortunately my company allows everyone the day off. Being American we also get Christmas Eve as paid leave too. 45 days a year holiday is pretty good going actually.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
That's a little sneaky, but they're entitled to do it. Seems strange when everywhere else will be closed. Fortunately my company allows everyone the day off. Being American we also get Christmas Eve as paid leave too. 45 days a year holiday is pretty good going actually.

"Pretty good going" is a slight understatement!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
After a 'whine' the companies position has been re-considered and Tuesday has now been given off to non-operational staff, and operational staff given a day in lieu.

I do fear my web browsing may have been tracked ;-) but hurrah for common sense!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Ha! That's excellent news!! Now lets hope there's some sun, and you're not stuck in because of the rain...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
All down to your contract.

There is no obligation to give bank hols as days off on the employer and so its completely at their whim (or their whim at the time they drew up the employment contract).

It is "a" bank holiday, just not a "normal" bank holiday, so the wording of your contract is everything.

The appropriate response to a tight employer is to work to rule on the tuesday. Don't do ANYTHING that isn't explicitly stated in your contract as your duty. If it doesn't say you must answer the phone then let it ring, etc etc. Contracts work both ways!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The appropriate response to a tight employer is to work to rule on the tuesday. Don't do ANYTHING that isn't explicitly stated in your contract as your duty. If it doesn't say you must answer the phone then let it ring, etc etc. Contracts work both ways!

Don't ever take up careers advice will you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All down to your contract.

There is no obligation to give bank hols as days off on the employer and so its completely at their whim (or their whim at the time they drew up the employment contract).

It is "a" bank holiday, just not a "normal" bank holiday, so the wording of your contract is everything.

I'm yet to see a contract that lays out in such explicit detail the precise day to day tasks you are meant to do as part of your job ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here