Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HR / Contract question re: Bank Hols

Bad Form indeed, however as said previously, they can ask you to work it.

The Tuesday is a Public holiday not a Bank Holiday, however I guess not to many people in the Modern World get all there bank holidays off without having to do some form of work.

Statutory holiday entitlement is 28 days - which is the old 20 days plus 8 BANK holidays but there is no distinction between these - week Tuesday is at an employers discretion.
Strictly speaking, there are only FOUR "bank holidays" in England - the four days specified in the Bank Holidays Act 1871 (Easter Monday, Whit Monday - now the late May bank holiday, August Bank Holiday, and Boxing Day). The other days are "public holidays", or "customary holidays". The relevant legislation is now the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971. And a "bank holiday" is what it says it is - a day when banks are closed for trading. The rest of us treat them all as public holidays.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dunno why you're all moaning anyway. Thousands of people work on these days. The armed forces. The emergency services. Doctors, nurses.
The prisons. The carers. Plenty of shop staff. Pub and restaurant workers. Train drivers (when they can be arsed). Taxis. Bus drivers. Petrol station employees.

If you get it, be happy. If you don't: stop bloody moaning and get on with it.

I'm working a 12 hour shift on the Monday BH, thanks to some enthusiastic protestors in town :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm working a 12 hour shift on the Monday BH, thanks to some enthusiastic protestors in town :D

yeah, but thats hardly work is it? more enthusiastic the more fun right? :wink:

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Try explaining that, and pro-rata entitlement for part time staff to my lot.

Ah, the first thing thing you going to need is a reasonable level of comprehension. The second thing you need is to actually be enjoying the job your doing. The final thing is to be willing to accept the truth and not belive its a just a way to screw people over. Otherwise explaining this simple process is going to be a complete waste of breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here