Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Would You Improve Football?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Strange how so many repeated points raised by us, the FANS of the sport, yet the cockjugglingthundercunts who [alledgdely] run the game (FA, FL, PL etc) take absolutely no f***ing notice whatsoever of us.

Remind me again, why the f*** do we follow this sport any more? Sometimes I wonder :nono:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Book, or even better, send off players who grab the ball with their hands after they fall over/are fouled.

I can't stand this - I blame its invention on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
1. Instant red card for any players rolling around on the floor pretending to be in agony
2. A ban on any media coverage which relates to a player's private life
3. Every team should have a fat kid that gets put in goal
4. More moustaches in football
5. Replace the FA and FIFA with people from the 21st century

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Couple of easy ones to implement....

1. Make the referees accountable for their decisions - they should be made to face interviewers just like the managers do.
2. Mike up the refs - let everyone hear the abuse they get from the players
3. Abolish the Johnstones Paint Trophy & League Cup, and have an Anglo-Scottish cup.
4. No substitutions in the last 5 mins of the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stop the clock when ever the ball goes out of play or the game is stopped and have a clock displayed for everybody to see time remaining etc.
Stop televising live matches and revert back to highlights , match of the day and the only live matches should be Cup Final and England internationals.
Give the refs an electronic distance measure to ensure the 10 yd rule is the same for every team and is not dependant on 3 big steps by the ref followed by 7 short.
2 extra linos/assistants for junior matches or goal line technology for senior games.
Tighter control on goalkeepers moving/ coming forward for penalties.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
-Make it compulsory for all players, managers, and pundits to learn the current laws of the game, and not let them rely on what they used to be, or what they think it should be.
-If FIFA are so set on making the referee the ultimate authority on a given match, make them watch the game afterwards and give them the power to overturn their own decisions (both to remove cards they got wrong, and to award cards they mistakenly let go), and give them the power to increase bans for more extreme offenses
-Give refs the freedom to ref how they see fit, that is, allow them to apply common sense, and veer from the rules if it is deemed necessary (would love to see a ref award a goal and keep 22 men on the pitch when one outfield player stops a certain goal with his hand, instead of the penalty/red card combo).
-Give players yellow cards for theatrics, even if you give them the free kick for the foul.
-Outlaw celebration music after goals.

1. salary cap
2. at least one directly-elected fans' rep on every board
3. minimum 51% ownership by fans' trust
4. standing areas at all grounds
5. free entry for under-10s
6. automatic yellow card for shouting at the officials, automatic red card for swearing at, or jostling, the referees
7. advance free kicks ten yards for dissent
8. three match ban for simulation, to be applied whether or not the ref spotted it
9. unless being played as a result of previous match cancellation, all matches in the same division to be played at the same time and on the same day
10. Champions League to be competed for by champions only, and entirely in the knockout format

And that's just for starters...

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Book, or even better, send off players who grab the ball with their hands after they fall over/are fouled.

I can't stand this - I blame its invention on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ehh. It's been going on for years. I remember once that Luton lost a game in the 80's because our centre back did that in our own penalty area resulting in a spot kick.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
People are very forgetful. They trialled the advance 10 yards thing a few years back (in the PL i think) and it wasn't effective. For free kicks close to the area it is actually more difficult to score the closer you are to the box.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
1. salary cap
2. at least one directly-elected fans' rep on every board
3. minimum 51% ownership by fans' trust
4. standing areas at all grounds
5. free entry for under-10s
6. automatic yellow card for shouting at the officials, automatic red card for swearing at, or jostling, the referees
7. advance free kicks ten yards for dissent
8. three match ban for simulation, to be applied whether or not the ref spotted it
9. unless being played as a result of previous match cancellation, all matches in the same division to be played at the same time and on the same day
10. Champions League to be competed for by champions only, and entirely in the knockout format

And that's just for starters...

A ban on the use of the word 'simulation'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Make the media and supporters understand that there is no such thing as 'the last man' when it comes to foul play and goal scoring opportunities.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I liked that trial they briefly did (South America, I think), where the ref had a can of spray paint, when a free-kick was awarded, he immediately marked the foul-point with a spot on the grass, then walked out 10 yeards and drew a line across. Then it is blantantly obvious where the kick should be taken from and where the wall should be, and anyone infringing this can be dealt with properly. The spray paint they used, was eco-friendly, and disolved inside 3 minutes. Don't know why that didn't catch on.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Stop teams constantly putting the ball put when one of their players is "injured". Never, ever stop the game because a player has cramp. An instant yellow for any player who runs across the ball after his team have conceded a free kick, trying to prevent it being taken. Far more bookings for dissent. They'd soon learn to shut up.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Terracing.
Cheaper tickets.
Salary cap.
Less televised football.
A proper fit and proper ownership test.
Don't make contact a dirty word.
Red cards and three game bans for divers.
Don't send players off for 'raising' their hands.
Ref should only speak to captains and players involved in an incident.
Drop the interfering with play offside rule, instead give marginal decisions in favour of the attacking team.
Make the rules simpler, clearer and allow the ref to use commonsense more.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Rugby style advantage rule.

Penalty goal for handling on the line or other such infringements that would have otherwise resulted in definite goal.

Give refs option to award a penalty for fouls outside the area if the player would have had a 1 on 1 with the keeper (instead of a red card).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I am amazed that we have got this far and no one has mentioned the distribution of money within the leagues. It needs to be more equitable, we have 4th division sides going into admin for the amount of money Rooney earns in a week. This is completely unacceptable yet the football fans in this country just shrug their shoulders and accept it.

Alongside this a salary cap would need to be introduced. Man City will be bust the moment their sheikh gets bored. This again is ridiculous.

I agree with Acker's proposal on referees rewatching the game and changing punishments as they see fit. I would also make the referees have interviews after the game as others have suggested.

The return of terraces is a no brainer in my opinion. They are safe in Germany so would be here if policed properly. This is the major issue for me as football is so much more enjoyable on terraces than sat down.

Finally, stopping the clock every time the ball went out of play would never work. We would have to change the length of the game to 65/70 minutes which would just be weird.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
People are very forgetful. They trialled the advance 10 yards thing a few years back (in the PL i think) and it wasn't effective. For free kicks close to the area it is actually more difficult to score the closer you are to the box.

If that is the case, allow the freekick to be taken from anywhere up to 10 yards closer, in a straight line from the point of the incident, and the centre of the goal. If that takes it into the box, then it is a penalty.

I agree with instant bookings for dissent and preventing freekicks being taken by standing or deliberately walking near the ball.

Bookings for cheating, e.g. diving, feigning injury should be much more liberally applied - and could also be applied for exaggerating the effect of a tackle/clash in order to get someone punished - also reversing the resultant freekick.

No subs after 85 mins seems like a good one to me (or the next stoppage in play).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here