Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Would You Improve Football?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Stop players from getting booked for celebrating with their own fans. Its a passionate moment.

Yes, provided they are not deblierately provoking opposing fans, defintley this. Scoring is the point of the game, they should be able to celebrate it.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
1. Retrospective yellow cards for diving.
2. If a player attempts to influence a referees decision by going to ground theatrically, no free kick will be awarded and play will continue, regardless of whether a foul has been committed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
6 game ban for diving which can be applied in retrospect
Tim Lovejoy and Sepp Blatter to be hunted down by a pack of wild dogs
Goal line technology at the very least
Ashley Cole and John Terry to show some humility.
World wide salary cap not this farce they are introducing at the moment which is linked to revenue which basically means the Champions league teams will stay the same for ever after
All radio fan phone in’s to be banned (referee this, manager that)
Referees to be afforded proper respect (captains only allowed to speak)
Tim Lovejoy to be used as live shark bait if he survives the dog attack.

A ban on the use of the word 'simulation'

Yeah, I know - I don't like it either.. I had originally put 'diving' in my reply, but changed it to simulation for the same reason the authorities use it - because diving isn't the only problem. For instance, rolling around in pretended pain when you are not hurt is simulation even if you were shoulder-barged to the ground. Can you think of a better word to use? Play-acting doesn't really cover diving, although it does cover rolling around in 'pain'. They are all cheating, of course, but cheating covers so much more than offences covered by simulation.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Terracing.
Cheaper tickets.
Salary cap.
Less televised football.
A proper fit and proper ownership test.
Don't make contact a dirty word.
Red cards and three game bans for divers.
Don't send players off for 'raising' their hands.
Ref should only speak to captains and players involved in an incident.
Drop the interfering with play offside rule, instead give marginal decisions in favour of the attacking team.
Make the rules simpler, clearer and allow the ref to use commonsense more.
Yup. I also like the rugby-style advantage rule where the ref can wait a bit to see if an advantage actually materialises as oppose to having to give an instant decision.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
1. Get refs to penalise obstruction like they used to - most commonly when defender blocks forward from stopping ball running over line for goal kick
2. All subs to be female, preferably part-time models, so embarrassing for player subsituted (unless injured) and gives us summat to look at when ball out of play
3. Teach TV commentators and pundits difference between handball and unintentional handling
4. Lower the bar of the goals depending on height of goalkeeper - would allow short people to keep goal, I suggest the keepers height plus 2 feet
5. If keeper moves before penalty and the penalty is missed, award a goal

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
safe standing
Price to encourage people to go and not to price out of market
incentives to clubs to work with the community and build youth set ups to re establish local clubs as an integral part of the community area and culture.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If it is a 0-0 draw neither side gets a point.

Only when a player receives the ball, is he offside. That would give clarity to the is player X interfering, which is purely down to the lino/referee's interpretation

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Get 9 like minded individuals, 10 glass milk bottles, a couple of litres of unleaded, a box of matches and 10 off peak returns to East Croydon.

You'd even sing songs about us.....

10 men went to burn, BURN, went to burn down Selhurst, 10 men and their petrol bombs, went to burn down Selhurst.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Abandon the rule where injured players have to go off the pitch if they receive treatment,OR if the player is injured in a foul,make the fouler leave the field with the foulee.

No,no,............just get rid.

And bring back the proper offside rule that just about everybody understood,even the linos.

Build a perspex shield across the goal the Albion are defending,remembering to switch it at half time.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
By changing the rules of administration. i.e. If you enter into administration, you must have a transfer embargo and wage cap for the next 12 months to prove you can run your club within the restrictions of an actual budget.

The point penalty means nothing to a big club and can be challenged and bypassed too easily. Clubs like Southampton and Pompey have abused the system, sucked up a points deductino and then spend wildly on coming out of administration.

Cap their spending would really punish them and also would fundamentally change the way they operate to incorperate a sensible spending strategy that would not jeopardise their future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shoot Harry Redknapp.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Teach kids to play it properly from a very young age. Not just to hoof it wildly and run about like morons!

But how will the next generation learn to play for England?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Only when a player receives the ball, is he offside. That would give clarity to the is player X interfering, which is purely down to the lino/referee's interpretation

They tried that a couple of years ago. There was an incident where lee trundle (I think) was in an offside position, the ball was played in his direction, and he followed the ball into the goal, but because he didn't touch it he wasn't flagged offside.

The offside rule will never keep people happy, there have been complaints about ever incarnation of the law (long range shots being ruled out because someone was doing his shoe laces up by the touchline, not knowing what "interferring with play" is, being able to block other players from getting to the ball without touching it etc.).

Perhaps we should add to the list:

Everyone, inside football and out of it, needs to understand and accept that football will never be perfect. Video replays won't eliminate all errors, goal line technology won't eliminate all errors, rework offsides and fouls and whatever rule you like, they will all have some situation that by design or chance makes them look foolish or ineffective.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Abandon the rule where injured players have to go off the pitch if they receive treatment,OR if the player is injured in a foul,make the fouler leave the field with the foulee.

No,no,............just get rid.

The problem is when players fake injury to run the clock down. So maybe introduce a little flexibility for Refs under the idea that if the ref feels the player is exaggerating or simply faking, he can make the player leave the pitch and can leave him stood on the side long for as long as it takes "for the referee to feel confident that the player has received enough care and had enough time to recover from such an injury that led to the reaction" (i.e. if you're taking the piss and rolling around, the ref can leave you off the pitch for 3 or 4 minutes, if the ref feels you were genuinely injured you can stay on).

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BOF there was a prev thread on this Im sure with more ideas. May be worth trying to dig it out.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Ban the phrase "he's won a penalty" - and therefore remove the ability to "play for a penalty" - an act which in itself should be penalised!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here