Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you feel if the Golds wanted to buy the club?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whoever owns the club it won't make any difference as regards the planning procedures that still have to be gone through.

However, experience has shown that the more money you have as a chairman the quicker your stadium seems to get built. Even if we get a Falmer YES don't think that's the end of it for one moment.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Stumpy Tim said:
I went on a stag-do with a mate of David Gold (who sometimes drinks at the Hassocks by the way). He said the only club he would invest in after B'ham is the Albion, so it really wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And apparently he's a really nice bloke... won't go into the reasons here, but his behaviour certainly surprised me. Sullivan, on the other hand, is supposed to be an UTTER wanker

Now thats interesting !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
I went on a stag-do with a mate of David Gold (who sometimes drinks at the Hassocks by the way). He said the only club he would invest in after B'ham is the Albion, so it really wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And apparently he's a really nice bloke... won't go into the reasons here, but his behaviour certainly surprised me. Sullivan, on the other hand, is supposed to be an UTTER wanker

About 10 years ago I attended a direct marketing conference where Jacqueline Gold of Anne Summers was one of the speakers. I ended up on the same table at dinner as David Gold who I concur was a thoroughly likeable mild mannered appearing guy. It wasn't until later that I discovered who he was so was unable to try and sell the Albion to him :(

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with Pavilionaire about the inescapable link between money and results (off the pitch, as well as on). And that's not a cue for all the DK accolytes to start howling, it's just a fact. I know he's doing his best.

I went to the Emirates Stadium for the first time for the Brazil Portugal game, and while everyone else was creaming themselves about the samba boys being in town, I was looking around the place outside wondering how on earth it was built over the objections of so many residents and businesses that quickly.

It's a vastly bigger ground than our proposed one, in a much more residential area, and the protests were every bit as strong as at Falmer. But they were drowned out because there is so much vested interest from the council and many other stakeholders with a money-making machine. Arsenal did whatever greasing of the wheels was necessary, I'm sure, and bingo, there it is.

If Gold/Sullivan were interested, we should bite their hands off, they have a track record of backing a club with cash and getting things done.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Gold family have a lot of investments in Brighton and I think may even have a house somewhere in Sussex, it was mooted about 15 years ago that they were interested in taking over the Albion, but also at one point they were even interested in taking over the scum, they seem to look at Football as a sort of hobby and have run Birmingham away from their other business interests. They have pumped a hell of a lot of money into it and had little in return both financially and from fans who are quite frankly ungrateful wankers when you consider how that team have been taken from oblivion to a Premiership (albeit in waiting) club.

Would Falmer put them off ? I doubt it, they would have friends in the media and TV who could force this issue into a wider audience, something the whist drive mentality of the current campaign seems incapable of doing.

If they came knocking on the door we would be challenging for the premiership in a new stadium withinn 10 years for sure.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dave the Gaffer said:
"Birmingham City owners , The Golds and David Sullivan are looking to walk away from the club as they think that the fans no longer support the club enough..........."

So, you reckon they might invest in another club where the fans would support the club.....that rules us out then (certainly at Withdean anyway!)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
GOLD

Thank you for coming home
I'm sorry that the chairs are all worn
I left them here I could have sworn
these are my salad days
slowly being eaten away
just another play for today
oh but I'm proud of you, but I'm proud of you
there's nothing left to make me feel small
luck has left me standing so tall…

Gold
always believe in your soul
you've got the power to know
you're indestructible
always believe in, because you are
Gold , glad that you're bound to return
there's something I could have learned
you're indestructible, always believe in

after the rush has gone
I hope you find a little more time
remember we were partners in crime
it's only two years ago
the man with the suit and the face
you know that he was there on the case
now he's in love with you, he's in love with you
and love is like a hard prison wall
but you could leave me standing so tall …

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Rougvie said:
They have pumped a hell of a lot of money into it and had little in return both financially and from fans who are quite frankly ungrateful wankers when you consider how that team have been taken from oblivion to a Premiership (albeit in waiting) club.

You can say that again. A few 'blues' fans at my work were among those who booed after they had BEATEN Stoke 1-0. Apparently, the football they watched wasn't attractive enough.

If I was an owner it really would make me wonder why I bothered.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: How would you feel if the Golds wanted to buy the club?

Wanderer said:
So, you reckon they might invest in another club where the fans would support the club.....that rules us out then (certainly at Withdean anyway!)

Football is all about momentum...take saturday I am sure lots of those people coming out of the woodwork to see Forest and Gillingham wouldnt have done so if we had been dicked at Orient, and change tends to give momentum, wether it be new players. managers or owners.

If DK is so keen to get new investors in, then I am sure they would be welcomed in with open arms - did the Gold's not have a business venture with the Blooms at one time also?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They've got to get rid of Birmingham 1st which proably won't be easy

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
good point DtG

it would be interesting to know just how much this story is based on reality

in terms of Falmer, getting such backing would certainly make a difference as the NIMBY delaying tactics are designed to cripple the club financially as much as anything else. With such backing, it might make them realise the futility of their defence?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The whole of Britain would like to get rid of Birmingham...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Re: Re: Re: How would you feel if the Golds wanted to buy the club?

Dave the Gaffer said:
Football is all about momentum...take saturday I am sure lots of those people coming out of the woodwork to see Forest and Gillingham wouldnt have done so if we had been dicked at Orient, and change tends to give momentum, wether it be new players. managers or owners.

If DK is so keen to get new investors in, then I am sure they would be welcomed in with open arms - did the Gold's not have a business venture with the Blooms at one time also?

the forest game has been selling well for weeks - would think that only a proportion is down to tuesday night. The number of season ticket holders who turn up may have been affected by it though.

Like all things Dave, investment is about the terms on which it is offered.

I invest in my bank savings as it gives me a decent return. throwing money at a football club by buying shares is only as good as what someone is prepared to buy them for in the future.

I personally have no issue in principle with someone like the Golds buying into the football club and perhaps even taking full control. However that principle would be severely tested if it was based on a loan as per se was Greg Stanley's.

Also, I'm not sure that the Golds have ever been involved with the Blooms, nor do I think they were involved with the Krigers in 1983 when they tried to buy the Albion from Bamber.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is still the question about funding the stadium once the green light has been given.

Looking at the situation objectively, and given how costs must have appreciated since the £48million figure of 3/4/5 years ago, my gut feeling is that Dick and Martin will struggle to get the finance together. We will need to get someone on board with money to make it happen.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How much are they worth anyway?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Re: Re: Re: Re: How would you feel if the Golds wanted to buy the club?

ROSM said:
they tried to buy the Albion from Bamber.

What a different story the albion could have been if they had been sucessful! Posibally still at the goldstone R.I.P :(

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How would you feel if the Golds wanted to buy the club?

Drumstick said:
What a different story the albion could have been if they had been sucessful! Posibally still at the goldstone R.I.P :(

that would be an interesting thought - my own gut feel is that the problem was not the removal of bamber but the death of keith wickenden who was the brains and financial genius of the set up. Whilst bamber was a charismatic, convincing and strong business figure, we did run up some failry substantial debts. I seriously dont believe the Krugers would have turned that situation around - subsequent boards under Bryan Bedson, Sizen, Stanley and then Archer failed to. Not sure the last two were really trying though!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Rougvie said:
The Gold family have a lot of investments in Brighton and I think may even have a house somewhere in Sussex, it was mooted about 15 years ago that they were interested in taking over the Albion, but also at one point they were even interested in taking over the scum, they seem to look at Football as a sort of hobby and have run Birmingham away from their other business interests. They have pumped a hell of a lot of money into it and had little in return both financially and from fans who are quite frankly ungrateful wankers when you consider how that team have been taken from oblivion to a Premiership (albeit in waiting) club.

Would Falmer put them off ? I doubt it, they would have friends in the media and TV who could force this issue into a wider audience, something the whist drive mentality of the current campaign seems incapable of doing.

If they came knocking on the door we would be challenging for the premiership in a new stadium withinn 10 years for sure.

The house, I think it is Ralphs, is on the kent/sussex border at Little Bayham, not far from Frant.

I thought they wanted Cardiff or was that Sullivan on his own? Hardly surprising hes a tosser is it, hes a little bloke.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The Brighton Knicker Draw Stadium :lolol:

or

The Comunity Corset Stadium :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here