Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you do in the 11-plus test?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
13 for me got the two numerical codes wrong but I dont remember the 11+ being anything like that when I passed it.

It was exactly like that (in 1964, at least)! It's an IQ test and they're all like that. The trick isn't in working out the answers but how quickly you can do it.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Likely you wouldnt get in I'm afraid if our knowledge of the Kent Grammar system is anything to go by!

Hove County Grammar would likely be super selective and massively overscribed by pushy middle class parents from affluent Hove itself as well as all over Sussex/East Hampshire and West Kent getting Johnny/Gemima tutored, meaning you would require 15 out of 15 to get in. With your mere 11/15 pass you would instead be offered far worse performing so far less selective Selsey Grammar (30 miles and 2 hours each way on bus each day) but the Council have fulfilled their requirement!.

That is exactly how it is working in West Kent at present as we head towards the 11+ with our eldest!

I went to Hove Grammar having passed the 11+ and our getting into the school had nothing to do with pushy, working-class parents in 1964 or by being super-selective. Only 2% of the country passed the 11+, so it didn't have to be. Most of the girls were working class, and came from as far away as Hayward's Heath, and it accepted all faiths.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
15/15
Better than I did in the Brighton fan test

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You had streaming at primary school ? Wow. What was that based on ?

Our primary school had streaming as well. It was based on academic ability, even at age 7. If you were in the B stream and improved, you could move into the A stream. Likewise if you floundered, you could go down to the B stream.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I went to Hove Grammar having passed the 11+ and our getting into the school had nothing to do with pushy, working-class parents in 1964 or by being super-selective. Only 2% of the country passed the 11+, so it didn't have to be. Most of the girls were working class, and came from as far away as Hayward's Heath, and it accepted all faiths.

I wasnt talking about 1964 (well done BTW!), I was talking about if Hove Grammar existed today, as the poster I responded to said he would get in with 11/15!

Hove is exactly the sort of place THESE DAYS where affluent/educated parents would kill to get their kids in to a Grammar School (as they seem to even with Blatchington Mill etc) understandably owing to some of the other state options. They would therefore pay for tutors/push Johnny to save a fortune in long run. It would therefore likely be able to be super selective, meaning only the cream (15/15 and not just a bare pass) would get in!

I was merely trying to demonstrate how it would work in Hove if you had a Grammar School these days as its exactly how it works these days in West Kent. It really isnt a case of just passing the 11+ as the competition is so fierce!

None of this was intended to take anything away from your achievements and I trust you took full advantage of the opportunity given!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I wasnt talking about 1964 (well done BTW!),I was merely trying to demonstrate how it would work in Hove if you had a Grammar School these days as its exactly how it works these days in West Kent. It really isnt a case of just passing the 11+ as the competition is so fierce!

None of this was intended to take anything away from your achievements and I trust you took full advantage of the opportunity given!!

Godd heavens no. had I done so I would have gone to oxford University and become an accountant like lots of my friends.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You've scored 15 out of 15.
Guessed at the last one though!
(was obviously a logical guess)
4mins 3 secs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here