• Other and YES

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • Other and NO

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Won't Vote

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

For me, AV is better than FPTP for the following primary reason;

It allows me to express my true preferences. I can live in a constituency dominated by two parties, vote for a different party but am still allowed to express my preference between the two that it will ultimately come down to. Under FPTP, I have to consider the fact that my first preference does not have a chance of getting in, and in order to make my vote 'count' (i.e. in order to express a preference towards one of the two primary parties in my constituency) I have to vote tactically. Under AV, I can vote for my true choice, but also express a preference between the two parties that realistically will fight it out to represent me in parliament.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
After 83 NSC votes the total Tory yes/no-combined vote is 21, while Labour stand at 25. Even though the Lib Dems have hit the buffers there are other minority parties taking up the slack, particularly the Greens and UKIP. I see the combined Green / Other yes/no vote is also at 25, putting them ahead of the main party of Government!

This suggests to me that neither main party stand much of a chance of getting much beyond 40% of the national votes cast with FPTP, in which case we're in for more hung parliaments if we DON'T get AV.

No it doesn't. You've just proved that YOU don't get AV.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see why AV is such a bad concept, it's actually the natural way of democratically voting in a group.

Say 12 friends go clubbing. 5 want to go to Club A, 4 want to go to Club B and 3 want to go to Club C. You wouldn't all go to Club A because the 5 have the large share of the vote. Instead, you'd ask the 3 for Club C which of A or B they prefer. If all 3 would rather go the Club B you'd have a 7-5 majority and probably end up going to Club B.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't see why AV is such a bad concept, it's actually the natural way of democratically voting in a group.

Say 12 friends go clubbing. 5 want to go to Club A, 4 want to go to Club B and 3 want to go to Club C. You wouldn't all go to Club A because the 5 have the large share of the vote. Instead, you'd ask the 3 for Club C which of A or B they prefer. If all 3 would rather go the Club B you'd have a 7-5 majority and probably end up going to Club B.
I stand corrected, that's a perfect explanation.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No it doesn't. You've just proved that YOU don't get AV.

The national vote for the 2 main parties is diminishing - this is borne out by the last General Election result and this poll. FPTP works when there are 2 parties but not when there are more.

You think this coalition is bad? Be thankful it's only 2 parties that have to do business. Under FPTP we weren't that far away from having a Labour - Lib Dem - Green - SNP - Plaid Cymru Rainbow Coalition.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But only 4 people wanted to go to Club B.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The way the explained on the broadcast yesterday with the pub/coffee was better.

[YT]Jm5IBhrq_PU[/YT]

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...and 7 didn't want to go to Club A.

It might help if we knew what these clubs are like. If Club B was, say R&B, it would be pretty shit if everyone ended up there AV or no AV.

It might help if we knew what these clubs are like. If Club B was, say R&B, it would be pretty shit if everyone ended up there AV or no AV.

What if all three were shite, middle-of-the-road clubs with no credibility and a history of broken promises? Like 'come here and we'll give you Harveys on tap for only £1 a pint as long as its a full moon, you have an owl on your left shoulder, it's a day of the week beginning in F and you know the secret password'

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Thats the danger with AV everyone gets what no-one actually wanted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What if all three were shite, middle-of-the-road clubs with no credibility and a history of broken promises? Like 'come here and we'll give you Harveys on tap for only £1 a pint as long as its a full moon, you have an owl on your left shoulder, it's a day of the week beginning in F and you know the secret password'
Did club C promise you beer at £1 a pint, then knock the wall through to club B next door and charge you £9 a pint despite saying they would NEVER allow that to happen?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thats the danger with AV everyone gets what no-one actually wanted.

Which is what we got with FPTP. Bloody nightmare this democracy nonsense. No wonder them sandy countries prefer to just run things the way they want to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here