• Other and NO

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Won't Vote

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we have a very specific independant movement based around keeping local NHS services local and although I'm not normally a fan of single topic politics they have a pretty good track record in ensuring that no single ideology is able to dominate and that it can work. On that basis, although I would prefer PR, I shall be voting yes to the referendum although I think the campaign has been shamefully badly managed - always a problem when you leave it to politicians to turn ideas into actions :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is clear, from this albeit small sample, that no party has 40% of the vote, let alone the mythical 50% 'needed' to win under AV.

And that the AV vote is pretty much 50/50 - which would be the worst of both worlds IMHO.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It is clear, from this albeit small sample, that no party has 40% of the vote, let alone the mythical 50% 'needed' to win under AV.

Indeed they don't... which is the entire point of AV - FPTP doesn't produce majorities any more (unlike when it was introduced for the then-current two party system). Never mind though, do ignore the point and carry on...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We may be the first city to elect and green MP and follow it up with a Green majority council.

Around our way Green posters outnumbering Labour ones about 5 to 1, no sign of any other posters or supporters knocking on doors, I have only seen Green activists on our estate.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Labour looks to have a majority at the moment.Shouldn't the poll have a second vote available for those who vote for a loser ? Two votes for losers seems a very good idea,yes ? Or no ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tory and YES.

I would actually have considered voting Green but their coalition with Labour locally means I won't as I remember how dire the last local Labour administration was.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Indeed they don't... which is the entire point of AV - FPTP doesn't produce majorities any more (unlike when it was introduced for the then-current two party system). Never mind though, do ignore the point and carry on...

I'm not sure what point I am supposed to have missed here! :)

Is AV any more or less likely than FPTP to produce a majority government?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
no and tory - because one of the candidates is FIT

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm not sure what point I am supposed to have missed here! :)

Is AV any more or less likely than FPTP to produce a majority government?

AV is (in exactly the same way as FPTP) designed to elect each member individually from the perspective of his/her constituency, not look at the make-up of parliament as a whole. PR is a different issue entirely...

To answer the question though, the evidence suggests it isn't any more or less likely.

I suggest we carry this on on the other thread though, as this one wasn't set up for the debate...

Edit - sorry, for some reason I don't seem to have spotted the first line of your reply! The point is that the whole debate over AV was started because no candidates get 50% (now that there are more than 2). Therefore to use it as an argument against AV (which is how I interpreted your post) seemed to be missing the point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Labour and Yes.

The reality is that Brighton and Hove will wake up to a Labour/Green council alliance on Friday morning. You read it here first.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still haven't decided in either case. I will probably begrudgingly vote Yes to AV because it slightly increases the chance of a hung parliament in the future, which might force a proper debate on proper much needed voting reform one day. As for council elections, I probably won't vote. Maybe I'll vote green, as it annoys me that our council doesn't take plastic rubbish.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The reality is that Brighton and Hove will wake up to a Labour/Green council alliance on Friday morning. You read it here first.

I think you're probably correct. Strange how despite all the bitching at a national level that a coalition doesn't represent the voters wishes, Labour are quite happy locally to do exactly the same. I think the Greens might have just grabbed a majority if they hadn't got into bed with Labour.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
No locals round my way, although I must say have been quite happy with how it has been run for the last few years. At least my council tax has stayed the same for four years. Current labour administration doing well, previous tory administration did an ok job too. At least its not a lib dem f*** up all the traffic 'experiment' like Colchester, Bath and other places i have resided.

As for AV- first choice 'no'. second choice 'yes'.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
AV is (in exactly the same way as FPTP) designed to elect each member individually from the perspective of his/her constituency, not look at the make-up of parliament as a whole. PR is a different issue entirely...

To answer the question though, the evidence suggests it isn't any more or less likely.

I suggest we carry this on on the other thread though, as this one wasn't set up for the debate...

Edit - sorry, for some reason I don't seem to have spotted the first line of your reply! The point is that the whole debate over AV was started because no candidates get 50% (now that there are more than 2). Therefore to use it as an argument against AV (which is how I interpreted your post) seemed to be missing the point.

Apols for the pedantry but yes they do.
Faversham & Mid Kent and an ipswich constituency are just two examples of members being elected with other half of the popular vote within the constituency,

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Greens have been to my house, noted my concerns (rubbish in the street, collections) and cc'd me onto a letter sent by them to the relevant department asking for some action (in this case a letter drop reminding residents of their responsibilites). The others haven't been seen or heard. I'll vote Green.

And Yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here