Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will you feel walking away from Withdean

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very happy to walk away from the Theatre of Trees

Very sad as I think it will be my last day as an Albion fan. I live north of London and I've been following the club since 1958. In recent years the journey home has become more and more difficult due to, later kick offs, more added time, longer half times and poor train services. When the club moves to Falmer it will in some ways become a new club, and then I intend with a very heavy heart, to watch football a lot closer to home.

Awwwwwwww........that is really sad!!!:cry::cry:

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Its a bit odd really. In many ways we hate the place and cant wait to leave, but on the other hand we have got some very positive memories.....3rd division title, 2nd division title, that play off semi final, queing for the play off final tickets, great wins eg Man City, etc.
Love or hate the place it's very much part of our history as a club.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Very sad as I think it will be my last day as an Albion fan. I live north of London and I've been following the club since 1958. In recent years the journey home has become more and more difficult due to, later kick offs, more added time, longer half times and poor train services. When the club moves to Falmer it will in some ways become a new club, and then I intend with a very heavy heart, to watch football a lot closer to home.

This confused me.

I don't remember Goldstone so Withdean has been where a lot of my top Brighton moments have been,

• Playoffs.
  • Man City
  • Last day survival x2.

I've met some of my best friends through football at Withdean and it will be a strange knowing that I will never be going back.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There will not be ONE THING I'll miss about that place.

The place itself I'd agree with but I've met a whole new group of Albion friends thanks to Withdean so it hasn't all been bad.

I'm going to leave all of my waterproof gear under my seat after the last game...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
How will you feel walking out of the withdean for the very last time and under the railway bridge and getting on the park and ride bus.

I think I may have already done it for the last time... and I was probably pretty depressed, so don't let everyone say "euphoric"!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

There's a train station right next to Falmer-why would you not take advantage of that? You'll be home earlier than you are after leaving Withdean.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

So, Chichester is north of London? 3pm is later than matches used to kick off? And after 52 years, getting home 10-15 minutes later, once a fortnight means you give up the Albion? After 13 years away from the Goldstone, we're not already a "new" club? And moving a to a lovely new home makes it all not worthwhile?

Smells of :fishing:

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
sad in a way. I know a few people who went to Goldstone, Gillingham and then Withdean and never made Falmer.

I just hope next season is not a huge anti climax and Falmer does not distract to what we have all been fighting for for these last God knows how long

:thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its a bit odd really. In many ways we hate the place and cant wait to leave, but on the other hand we have got some very positive memories.....3rd division title, 2nd division title, that play off semi final, queing for the play off final tickets, great wins eg Man City, etc.
Love or hate the place it's very much part of our history as a club.

This.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I shall float down the hill under the bridge, safe in the knowledge that I shall be watching Championship football in a brand spanking new stadium a few short months later, and I shall never be darkening the gates of Withdean again.

I will have no feelings of sadness at leaving at all.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Although I am gagging about the prospect of pitching up at Falmer, I will miss Withdean. My saturday routine is thus:

09:00 - roll out of bed
11:00 - watch son at football training
12:00 - home for sausage sandwiches and make up flask of hot chocolate
13:30 - kit kids out in ski togs [remember, there's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes]
13:45 - drive with kids to stadium singing bawdy versions of 'Sussex By The Sea'
14:00 - park up by very posh 'Olympic Heights' construction site
14:01 - comment on how posh 'Olympic Heights' is
14:02 - talk about the house on the hill that was on 'Grand Designs'
14:06 - give kids three quid to buy a programme that they will never, ever read
14:20 - take seat in very rickety stand
14:25 - field questions from kids about why the players don't warm up by us anymore
14:30 - ogle 'Gully's Girls' while kids fondle Gully
14:45 - moan about choice of music on PA
15:02 - put Ku Klux Klan ponchos on kids
15:05 - watch match [it's never a 15:00 kick off]
15:55 - send kids for 'Marathon' ['Snickers? Pah!]
17:00 - stomp back up hill. Usually angry.
17:05 - wonder how Mike Ward ever got the job on 'Fan's Phone In'
17:06 - wonder why that Suraya fella always gets on first
17:30 - home

Rest of evening - read about people's favourite Northern Soul tracks on NSC

There's a train station right next to Falmer-why would you not take advantage of that? You'll be home earlier than you are after leaving Withdean.

err... its not a very big station and some of might still have doubts about its ability to get 23,600 people in and out

but no one asked that at the public enquiries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here