Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will you feel walking away from Withdean

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Being of a younger generation to most of you I do not have any memories of the goldstone, I will certainly leave Withdean in a great mood, not just because we will be on our way to Falmer in 2 months, but also because of the great memories I have from our time at the Withdean.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Very pleased/relieved. Bobby should have graced a finer arena in the blue and white and im sure one day he still will...

10 years in that hell hole, how has it been so long?!
Bring on Falmer.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
dug up part of goldstone centre spot and still have sink from goldstone in back garden full of plants but will walk away from withdean empty handed just relieved its all over:falmer:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Seeing as due to my age my fondest memories are of Widthdean I'll be pretty sad to see the place go even though it's completely unsuitable as a football venue.

My only worry is that by working at the Uni and seeing Falmer everyday I'll have somehow killed some of the wow factor walking up to it for the first time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It won't be anything like leaving the Goldstone.

For starters, the place will still be used long after we're gone, so there'll be no going in with shovels and digging the pitch up, or ripping seats out. Presumably the South Stand and the stands at either end will be dismantled and the seats sold to some company or other. The North Stand I would guess will remain.

There's not going to be much to take, not that that will stop the club milking it for all it's worth. Bottles of Withdean Air for sale, anyone? Withdean Air? Only £28.00 including a special commemorative certificate and a signed photo of John Catt?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There will not be ONE THING I'll miss about that place.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Very sad as I think it will be my last day as an Albion fan. I live north of London and I've been following the club since 1958. In recent years the journey home has become more and more difficult due to, later kick offs, more added time, longer half times and poor train services. When the club moves to Falmer it will in some ways become a new club, and then I intend with a very heavy heart, to watch football a lot closer to home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It won't be anything like leaving the Goldstone.

For starters, the place will still be used long after we're gone, so there'll be no going in with shovels and digging the pitch up, or ripping seats out. Presumably the South Stand and the stands at either end will be dismantled and the seats sold to some company or other. The North Stand I would guess will remain.

There's not going to be much to take, not that that will stop the club milking it for all it's worth. Bottles of Withdean Air for sale, anyone? Withdean Air? Only £28.00 including a special commemorative certificate and a signed photo of John Catt?

Speak for yourself.
I'm going to take a bucket and spade and take some sand from the sand pit. I would also like to cut a small section from the hammer net, if its up.

I might also gauge out 12 years worth of my own chewing gum from the grooves of the back of the seat in front of me, so I can have a commemorative 'chew' at the first game at Falmer.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Seeing as i was 5 when we left the Goldstone, i never got to experience the place, but from photos i've seen and people i've spoken too, i wish i had. Withdean has been a drag, ever since my first game 10 years or so ago, which slowly led to season ticket after season ticket. Infact, my old man was hardly even a supporter before i started going, believe he had only been once. But as i slowly asked to go more and more often, we both became hooked, so i guess it's the place that introduced me to the albion. Their have been the weeks where you prayed to get out of the place, the at times pathetic stewarding in multiple areas of the ground, sitting in the rain, and of course the games we all remember for the wrong reasons. But their have been many great days/evenings at Withdean (Man City, Promotion etc etc).
In my eyes, it will be missed, obviously we're moving onto bigger and better things at Falmer, but the fact i've only ever seen us play home matches at Withdean suggests it cant have been that bad, because I, and many others my age were never put off.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Speak for yourself.
I'm going to take a bucket and spade and take some sand from the sand pit. I would also like to cut a small section from the hammer net, if its up.

Imagine the horror on John Catt's face when he sees thousands of Albion fans walking down Valley Drive carrying shovels and buckets
:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very sad as I think it will be my last day as an Albion fan. I live north of London and I've been following the club since 1958. In recent years the journey home has become more and more difficult due to, later kick offs, more added time, longer half times and poor train services. When the club moves to Falmer it will in some ways become a new club, and then I intend with a very heavy heart, to watch football a lot closer to home.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I cannot even begin to relate to that.
Fair play to you for making the journey all these years, but to give up at the very moment the club FINALLY finds itself in a proper home is very strange.

Even if you can't make it down as often as you'd like, SURELY you'll always be an Albion fan at heart ? You can't just "transfer" your allegience to another club, it doesn't work like that. You may be watching a more local club to you, but to say you are "no longer an Albion fan" is a profoundly sad way of looking at it.

I'd still consider you an Albion fan, even if you didn't attend another game !

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Fair play to you for making the journey all these years, but to give up at the very moment the club FINALLY finds itself in a proper home is very strange.

Even if you can't make it down as often as you'd like, SURELY you'll always be an Albion fan at heart ? You can't just "transfer" your allegience to another club, it doesn't work like that. You may be watching a more local club to you, but to say you are "no longer an Albion fan" is a profoundly sad way of looking at it.

Agree....you can't be serious, Cuthbert, surely....keep coming to The Albion when you can, chap!

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009

It's all or nothing if I can't give 100% commitment, I won't be a proper fan.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Being of a younger generation to most of you I do not have any memories of the goldstone, I will certainly leave Withdean in a great mood, not just because we will be on our way to Falmer in 2 months, but also because of the great memories I have from our time at the Withdean.

Exactly how i feel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here