Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well has Chris Hughton done ?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Personally (as regards the OP) I smell Palace, build up your post count with a history of utterly innocuous posts, stay under the radar sort of thing, but I could be very wide of the mark.

#Palacefinder General

i thought this.......wishy washy , middle of the road type of comments/ questions.....either palace or a young'un......in answer to his question though i am obviously very happy with the start to the season and think Houghton has done well....the proof of the pudding will be if he can mould these new players into team that is up there at the end of the season.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I find the lack of comments about his comatose demeanor in press conferences, failure to roam the touchline as if his hair was on fire, and general lack of passion strange, considering how every other CH thread immediately zooms in on his affect, ignoring selection, tactics, etc. etc.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He would have done very well to get rid of the shite completely if he can someone shift out chicksen, cog, colunga, JFC by end of December.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Judge him at Christmas if you must, not before. But perspnally I think every manager needs one full season before you can fairly say what happens is down to them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on people, not so fast with the rose tinted specs.

Right first things first:-

Everything CH has done this season would appear to be coming good, after 4 games.
The structure and discipline of the team.
He would appear to have spent all the money well.
He handles himself really well and there's definitely a good feeling about the place.

Happy days.

But, 8 goals and 10 points from the last 12 games doesn't mean he 'saved us from relegation'.
Nathan Jones saved us from relegation.
He fortunately found himself in a situation where 3 other clubs wanted relegation more than the Albion.
He presided over the worst football played in the AMEX era.
The team has played better so far this season, but that coming from an incredibly low bench mark.
All the games could easily have ended without a positive result, had that happened, on the back of last season, this thread would look very different.

I'm pleased he's here, and am looking forward to the season, but lets not completely gloss over the first 4 months on the strength of 3 odd goal wins and a point at Huddersfield.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hang on people, not so fast with the rose tinted specs.

Right first things first:-

Everything CH has done this season would appear to be coming good, after 4 games.
The structure and discipline of the team.
He would appear to have spent all the money well.
He handles himself really well and there's definitely a good feeling about the place.

Happy days.

But, 8 goals and 10 points from the last 12 games doesn't mean he 'saved us from relegation'.
Nathan Jones saved us from relegation.
He fortunately found himself in a situation where 3 other clubs wanted relegation more than the Albion.
He presided over the worst football played in the AMEX era.
The team has played better so far this season, but that coming from an incredibly low bench mark.
All the games could easily have ended without a positive result, had that happened, on the back of last season, this thread would look very different.

I'm pleased he's here, and am looking forward to the season, but lets not completely gloss over the first 4 months on the strength of 3 odd goal wins and a point at Huddersfield.

Unfair I think. He won us 24 points in 22 games, when we had only won 23 from the previous 24 - including the 4 points gained under Nathon Jones. CH definitely had the biggest effect on our survival last season. It wasn't pretty most of the time, but it was an effective use of the players he had.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's been less than 8 months and I think (so far) he's done a bloody brilliant job, considering the demoralised, useless shower of shit that he inherited from the clueless Finn.

Astute signings, incredible rise in squad morale, playing decent football, unbeaten with 3 wins out of 4 - we look like with a bit of luck we will make the playoffs, or maybe something even unimaginably better, rather than the relegation fodder we were when he took over.

Then again, ask this question again in December, things could look incredibly different by then.

Agreed, and also first impressions of the signings are that they have really improved the squad. Stand out being Kayal so far, but maybe more to come :)

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Unfair I think. He won us 24 points in 22 games, when we had only won 23 from the previous 24 - including the 4 points gained under Nathon Jones. CH definitely had the biggest effect on our survival last season. It wasn't pretty most of the time, but it was an effective use of the players he had.

Wasn't Nathan Jones in charge for the wins at Brentford and at Fulham at the end of last year so therefore 6 points or does my memory let me down?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasn't Nathan Jones in charge for the wins at Brentford and at Fulham at the end of last year so therefore 6 points or does my memory let me down?
He was in charge for the Reading game where we fought back from 2-0 down to earn a point, then 3 points at Fulham.
Hughton took over for Brentford, which was an FA cup game, & isn't worth 3 points, unless your name is Barnes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No sorry, but matching the previous car crash isn't good enough.
Millwall and Wigan being really really poor had the biggest effect on the teams survival, nothing to do with CH.
Had CH's team picked up more than 1 (one) point from the 12 available, against the teams that finished below the Albion, he would have 'saved us from relegation'.

Clearly an effective use of the players he had was to implement his preferred 4-4-2 set up.
He choose not too and managed a poorer version of what was already in place.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's been less than 8 months and I think (so far) he's done a bloody brilliant job, considering the demoralised, useless shower of shit that he inherited from the clueless Finn.

Astute signings, incredible rise in squad morale, playing decent football, unbeaten with 3 wins out of 4 - we look like with a bit of luck we will make the playoffs, or maybe something even unimaginably better, rather than the relegation fodder we were when he took over.

Then again, ask this question again in December, things could look incredibly different by then.

Bloody hell, I agree completely with you on all of this.

I'm very, very happy with Hughton overall, his job last year was to keep us up no matter how we achieved that - job done and firmly believe that he should only really be judged when he's got his own team. He's nearly there with having that and I've been very impressed with his signings. A really good mix of youth and experience. He's also picked players who have a hunger, a bit of passion and lots of bite. Good times again to be an Albion fan and I'm very proud to have Hughton as manager.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
but matching the previous car crash isn't good enough.

We are in the championship. Why not good enough.

Clearly an effective use of the players he had was to implement his preferred 4-4-2 set up.
He choose not too and managed a poorer version of what was already in place.

Clear to you perhaps, you must have good inside info. CH will have looked at all the options. He will have had his reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here