Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how to make more money at the amex and please the fans

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
How do you work that out? i can't remember offhand but what's the price of a pie? 4 quid? What´s the net profit? less than a quid, I'll bet. Where are you going to get someone to work for less than 2 quid an hour?

But as someone else said selling someone a pie at half time doesn't necessarily mean that's an extra pie sold. If I want something to eat at the game like a pie, and I know there's going to be a mad crush at half time then I'll probably have my pie before or after the game, So the total number of pies sold by the club to me stays the same - unless I'm a guts and have one before the game as well as half time.

We all know the sell prices. Unlike many on here, I know the costs! Been in this industry for a long time...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sell 2 additonal pies and you've paid for 1 hr of the additional staff. Sell 4 and you've got them for 2hrs and so on.

I reckon the additional staff would cover themselves. Just a hunch. In fact, just being better organised would mean you wouldn't need to be employe additional staff. Wouldn't cost much to put up a sign saying sold out of pies etc and prevent a hundred people joining a pointless queue. And then those that just wanted a drink would be able to get served quicker...until the beer sold out sign goes up :)

But it won't really work out that way, will it?

Just for simples maths, lets say 100 people go for a burger and there's two people serving, but because it's only 2 of them, it takes 30 minutes to serve them all.

So, we hire 2 more people, 4 people serve. That isn't going to translate to more burgers sold, initially. What will happen, is The same 100 people will buy burgers, but they'll all be served in 15 minutes. You're paying four staff members to sell the same number.

Then people will see the speed, so the next game 200 people decided to buy burgers. With 4 people serving it takes 30 minutes again. So you hire 2 more staff.

This time, the extra hundred who got burgers think 'not again, missed 15 minutes of the match last time'. So, now you've got 6 people serving 100 hundred people in 7.5 minutes. Maybe another 50 buy burgers having seen the queues cleared, but you're paying for three times the number of staff to serve only half as many burgers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But it won't really work out that way, will it?

Just for simples maths, lets say 100 people go for a burger and there's two people serving, but because it's only 2 of them, it takes 30 minutes to serve them all.

So, we hire 2 more people, 4 people serve. That isn't going to translate to more burgers sold, initially. What will happen, is The same 100 people will buy burgers, but they'll all be served in 15 minutes. You're paying four staff members to sell the same number.

Then people will see the speed, so the next game 200 people decided to buy burgers. With 4 people serving it takes 30 minutes again. So you hire 2 more staff.

This time, the extra hundred who got burgers think 'not again, missed 15 minutes of the match last time'. So, now you've got 6 people serving 100 hundred people in 7.5 minutes. Maybe another 50 buy burgers having seen the queues cleared, but you're paying for three times the number of staff to serve only half as many burgers.

But what if someone wants a pie?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sell 2 additonal pies and you've paid for 1 hr of the additional staff. Sell 4 and you've got them for 2hrs and so on.

I reckon the additional staff would cover themselves. Just a hunch. In fact, just being better organised would mean you wouldn't need to be employe additional staff. Wouldn't cost much to put up a sign saying sold out of pies etc and prevent a hundred people joining a pointless queue. And then those that just wanted a drink would be able to get served quicker...until the beer sold out sign goes up :)

We all know the sell prices. Unlike many on here, I know the costs! Been in this industry for a long time...

But you haven't paid for an extra member of staff by selling two extra pies have you ? Given they cost £3.50 each you've taken an extra £7. Your labour costs alone are £6.08 in wages ignoring completely the employers contribution to NI. Take into account other costs such a electricity and the raw product you'd be very lucky to even break even. Unless of course you're suggesting the pies only cost circa 30p from Piglets Pantry ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd like a shoe shine how about that?

No more shines. You been away a long time, they didn't tell you. I don't shine shoes no more.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
But you haven't paid for an extra member of staff by selling two extra pies have you ? Given they cost £3.50 each you've taken an extra £7. Your labour costs alone are £6.08 in wages ignoring completely the employers contribution to NI. Take into account other costs such a electricity and the raw product you'd be very lucky to even break even. Unless of course you're suggesting the pies only cost circa 30p from Piglets Pantry ?

Look, I didn't do the exact maths; it was an indicative remark. So if it works out at 3.2 pies then I apologise. But you're closer to the mark than you realise! There are huge margins on everything. You only have to look at better known products such as a kit Kat or bottle of coke that we all know is overpriced. Remember what we pay is marked up in a shop. At the Amex where caterers have enormous purchasing power, how is it a good quid more than it is at corner shop which sells fraction of the volume. Same for food. Why do you think turf wars exist between burger vans that have led to murders in the past? It's because the profits and margins are huge!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Easy solution.

You load up one of those tennis ball firing machines with pies and put it at the front of the stand. It also has a laser scanner on the cannon part. You wave your smart card in the air and when the lazer reads it it fires you a pie.

The same system may work for beer as well but with a water cannon.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here