Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how to make more money at the amex and please the fans

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
McDonalds can do it successfully on zero hour contracts and paying £3.68ph to 16/17yo and £4.98 to 18/20yo but do you want a plastic service for plastic fans ???

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I don't understand this problem at all. Last night, we were welcomed by innumerable, smiling staff offering glasses of wine or beer, before sitting down to a not half-bad dinner. After that, we were supposed to go outside and watch some boring soccerball game, but only for a few minutes, mind. Half-time brought us back to tables absolutely groaning with free pies and coffee. The soccerball continued after that, but nobody could be much bothered to go out and watch any of it.

A lot of people just stayed inside their executive boxes, having their executive business meetings, far too busy to waste their executive time looking out of the window at all that youthful huffing and puffing below.

The best bit? Absolutely no queues, anywhere. And, for a mere 30 quid, I have witnessed the world of the 1901. But no longer am I remotely surprised at the frequently half empty seats and lack of matchday passion.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What I try & do is drink enough liquid & eat enough solids before the game; that way I know I'll last a couple of hours without the need to queue for any food or drink & I don't have to worry about missing any of the goings on out on the pitch.

patricksullivan

Jun 17, 2011
Hove
I don't understand this problem at all. Last night, we were welcomed by innumerable, smiling staff offering glasses of wine or beer, before sitting down to a not half-bad dinner. After that, we were supposed to go outside and watch some boring soccerball game, but only for a few minutes, mind. Half-time brought us back to tables absolutely groaning with free pies and coffee. The soccerball continued after that, but nobody could be much bothered to go out and watch any of it.

A lot of people just stayed inside their executive boxes, having their executive business meetings, far too busy to waste their executive time looking out of the window at all that youthful huffing and puffing below.

The best bit? Absolutely no queues, anywhere. And, for a mere 30 quid, I have witnessed the world of the 1901. But no longer am I remotely surprised at the frequently half empty seats and lack of matchday passion.

that made me smile

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Where do you propose these 10 extra staff would go?

Last night was unprecedented in terms of queues. We were overrun by families wanting a whole mess of different things rather than your normal pie/pint combos etc. Plus normally about 80% of our sales are via the Season Ticket E-Cards, which make transactions twice as quick. Lots of England fans last night, paying with cash and card, was bound to take longer. But it's the first time we've done it. We found out what the problems were and are able to work on them for the next England U19s game in April.
Hey mate,... myself and quite a few of my fellow WSU types are more than happy with the process, got a chicken instead of beef pie once , but what the hey, I like them both anyway. East stand may need a tweak re the queues, but I have learned to work arounbd the peak times.... ie get my pie and pint well before kick off.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This issue keeps coming up, so there obviously is a problem. I think the Harvey's stands take alot away from the kiosk que's and so would sellers walking around with Pies and Burgers. Also as they seem to run out of Pies and Burgers so quickly, surely ordering more for a matchday will help.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
You've all not thought this through.

What you need is a runner.

Trained my lad to nip out to the kiosk for the pies 10 mins after kick off .... easy no queues whatsoever.

thats THE idea, sir. Hats off to you, now the cashiers should have a regulated ipm. or a cpm. theyre painfully slow picking out pies or ready to go pints atm. it looks eaaaasy.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
be prepared to have a wait,or get something before you go in!!!!ffs it aint rocket science,
had a massive group of boys with me yesterday,i told them before about the wait
,so they all got burgers from the stand at the station,job done.
I just waited 5 mins,for a pint at half time,but if they were that bad,i would of gone without.simples

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Where do you propose these 10 extra staff would go?

Last night was unprecedented in terms of queues. We were overrun by families wanting a whole mess of different things rather than your normal pie/pint combos etc. Plus normally about 80% of our sales are via the Season Ticket E-Cards, which make transactions twice as quick. Lots of England fans last night, paying with cash and card, was bound to take longer. But it's the first time we've done it. We found out what the problems were and are able to work on them for the next England U19s game in April.

I hate moaning about things like this, but what an absolute load of tripe. Last night at half time, it was a complete and utter shambles. I started in the East stand queue 5 minutes before the end of the first half and got back when the clock read that 64 minutes had been played!

Please don't go on about having to serve unprecedented levels of customers as last night saw the lowest gate at the Amex this season and in addition, I know for a fact having spoken to a few club officials today that the attendance was considerably lower than those running the show behind the scenes had predicted.

A majority of the queues in the east last night were being attended by people who failed to understand the concept of monetary tender!

It would have been far far simpler had they have done what they did at the Spurs game and have dedicated queues at each kiosk for Cash, Smartcards and Debit/Credit Cards - This costs very little to implement and would reduce queuing times for considerably - providing the staff had been trained correctly, which they clearly were not last night!

Rant over!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Actually that is a VERY good idea to have a smart card payment queue or two.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
There is no need, but I enjoy a cup of tea.

thermos-0-35-litre-stainless-steel-flask.jpg

Cheaper - and made to your own specification! :thumbsup:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I thought the club were advertising for roving food sellers a while back.. did that not come off?

maybe the cost of clearing up afterwards didn't make it worthwhile?

P.S. a few more shelves, or tables/chairs wouldnt go amiss, neither- awkward holding /eating a steaming hot pie, and a pint!

Last edited:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Don't understand why nobody has responded to this. It's clearly the answer. A few staff walking around the concourses selling pies would make a huge difference. And they'd sell them to people who wouldn't have bought one otherwise as well. It's difficult to say no to one when someone comes up and asks if you want one!

Only for you, you fat git! x

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Just have more portable servers (like the Fosters hand carts in WSL ) .I also agree with more mobile sellers,but they need to be wearing the same dayglow type colours not the black at the moment.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
just a thopught but could the queues at half time have anything to do with more people trying to buy beverages etc . i found the queues before the match to be strangely non existant arrived about 45 mins before kick off no queue in WSU at all ,normally at least 10-15 deep at each serving station. i even had time to chat to the server. and the only way to ensure that everyone who wants to be served at halftime gets served is to extend the halftime break which will not happen unless the yanks control football.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Why is everyone so keen on mobile sellers? You can't use your smart card, and it's a free for all on who get's served and who doesn't. Just put the extra people on tills so everyone gets served fairly and as efficiently as possible.

I'm another one who has all but given up buying anything at Falmer. Sure a quicker service could make more profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here