Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How times and attitudes change

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I posted this Feb 2008 on Ask The Club.

BensGrandad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have the club considered spreading the cost over a 12 month direct debit scheme to encourage more people to buy them. Despite the cynics it would be very simple to operate. Reply With Quote .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26-02-2008 12:58 #2 Insider

Posts:5,858This isn't something we would operate as a club, for various reasons. However there are finance companies who offer supporters a monthly payment scheme for which we can make details available. Reply With Quote .

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It wasn't their idea 3 years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I just say that I wrote to the Albion when we got promoted to the old 1st division suggesting standing season tickets as we didn't have enough seats to satisfy demand. I believe they must have listened because they introduced standing season tickets for the next season :lolol:

Joking aside BG, yours was a good idea and I'd suggest has helped sell thousands of tickets which probably wouldn't have sold.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't BG also came up with the +3 idea for priority existing season ticket holders ? That has worked BRILLIANTLY :clap:

Well done sir.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wrote to Hovis in 1993 to suggest that 8 crumpets in one packet is too many. I said that the crumpets should be thicker, absorbing even more butter and Marmite then their thinner cousins and partial-pikelet-lookalikes, and that perhaps they could charge an equal amount, or even more than, for the seeming harder work making just 6 of them. It was only in the last decade that Hovis followed my advice, and more than likely made a damn fortune from it.
I'd also given them the idea of a logo of a bald raccoon, still black-and-whitely hooped, made of crumpet, it's every step leaving a footprint of fatty desire, but that has yet to be taken seriously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Didn't BG also came up with the +3 idea for priority existing season ticket holders ? That has worked BRILLIANTLY :clap:

Well done sir.

Careful. Round these parts that'll make people turn on BG quicker than if you said "Wasn't Nazi Germany your idea originally, BG?"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The point is that this shows that we as a club and with a chairman who has money have changed our whole attitude towards selling the club. This is not intended as a knock at Dick Knight and the old board as they obviously controlled the club within the finances that were available, but times have changed seriously for the good.

To be fair, 3 years ago we weren't in a financial position to offer this, we needed - like most clubs still do - that big cash injection of season ticket money at the beginning of each season.

Now, thanks to TB and also the fact that the team are playing well and attracting support, we can do without that and offer an interest free DD scheme.

It simply wouldn't have been financially viable three years ago.

Our finances now are as healthy as anyones. It would have been easy for TB to turn up and just throw money at the club like lots of other chairman have done at other clubs, but he hasn't. I don't know, and neither does anyone else except TB and his accountant, just how much actual cash he has put in, I suspect less than many people think. But what he has done is underpin the club with guarantees and got us on a very sound financial footing that most clubs would give their eye teeth for.

To misquote Emlyn Hughes, the boy done terrific. :clap2::clap2:

I wrote to Hovis in 1993 to suggest that 8 crumpets in one packet is too many. I said that the crumpets should be thicker, absorbing even more butter and Marmite then their thinner cousins and partial-pikelet-lookalikes, and that perhaps they could charge an equal amount, or even more than, for the seeming harder work making just 6 of them. It was only in the last decade that Hovis followed my advice, and more than likely made a damn fortune from it.
I'd also given them the idea of a logo of a bald raccoon, still black-and-whitely hooped, made of crumpet, it's every step leaving a footprint of fatty desire, but that has yet to be taken seriously.

Thank you MB, but I wrote to Tony Bloom suggesting he appointed Gus as manager.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't know, and neither does anyone else except TB and his accountant, just how much actual cash he has put in, I suspect less than many people think. But what he has done is underpin the club with guarantees and got us on a very sound financial footing that most clubs would give their eye teeth for.

To misquote Emlyn Hughes, the boy done terrific. :clap2::clap2:

I think it's safe to say it's at least £100 million from his own purse. I don't think he has underpinned any guarantees, because that usually comes with interest to be added, and according to all the smoke signals, any money invested in the stadium is interest free. Outside the stadium boundaries its tax payers footing the bill, as far as i'm aware.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I implored that Dick signed Johnny Dixon and he did

I think it's safe to say it's at least £100 million from his own purse. I don't think he has underpinned any guarantees, because that usually comes with interest to be added, and according to all the smoke signals, any money invested in the stadium is interest free. Outside the stadium boundaries its tax payers footing the bill, as far as i'm aware.

I'd be very suprised if he'd actually shelled out 100 million of his own cash. Successful businessmen use other people's money. From memory, when it was announced that the stadium would go ahead in the dire financial climate of the time it was said that he had underwritten it, not actually been to the hole in the wall and drawn out the dosh.

Mind you, I'm sure he has put in more cash than most of us would earn in a lifetime, with no cast iron guarantee that he will get anything back other than a warm glow and our undying gratitude!

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Dont get too excited at your success BG.

You also suggested we build a new stadium at the most polluted,impractical and out of the way site imaginable. Beeding Cement Works.

But Archer laughed you out of his office for that one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I emailed God a few million years ago with the idea of making a world, pleasant chappy did just that in 8 days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here