Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How times and attitudes change

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont get too excited at your success BG.

You also suggested we build a new stadium at the most polluted,impractical and out of the way site imaginable. Beeding Cement Works.

But Archer laughed you out of his office for that one.

Get your facts right my speaking of Beeding was nothing to do with Archer, it was another possible owners wish, but Archer wouldnt let him see the books, as happened with a number of interested parties. It was Barry Lloyd with whom Archer refused to sign the contract and thus fell out with, in fact they very nearly came to blows.

As it happens we have all moved on and are looking forward to the opening of the Amex.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I suggested on here a few years ago that the club should have a mascot, just like it did at the Goldstone, possibly represented by a seagull with my user-name. Not long after that suggestion guess what happened?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
At a fans club meeting I attended, I'm sure the question whether it was all his own money was asked - and the answer was "yes"

Yes, but since then we've had money coming in from Amex, the caterers and STHs. I'd be surprised if some or all of that wasn't put toward the build costs.

To be fair, 3 years ago we weren't in a financial position to offer this, we needed - like most clubs still do - that big cash injection of season ticket money at the beginning of each season.

Now, thanks to TB and also the fact that the team are playing well and attracting support, we can do without that and offer an interest free DD scheme.

It simply wouldn't have been financially viable three years ago.

Our finances now are as healthy as anyones. It would have been easy for TB to turn up and just throw money at the club like lots of other chairman have done at other clubs, but he hasn't. I don't know, and neither does anyone else except TB and his accountant, just how much actual cash he has put in, I suspect less than many people think. But what he has done is underpin the club with guarantees and got us on a very sound financial footing that most clubs would give their eye teeth for.

To misquote Emlyn Hughes, the boy done terrific. :clap2::clap2:

To be fair, they are still getting the bulk of the money up front. Even this season there was the option to spread over 5 payment, starting in July, with the final payment taken in November.

This year, the 1st payment was in Fenruary (5 more months to earn some interest) and the last payment will be made in Fenruary, only 3 months later).

In fact, by the time the 1st game kicks off in August, under this new scheme, the club will have taken 50% of the total season ticket price, whereas under the old scheme, they would have only taken 40% if someone was using the 5 payments option.

not knocking it at all - I love the new scheme - but its hardly bad news for the club either.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I wrote to Hovis in 1993 to suggest that 8 crumpets in one packet is too many. I said that the crumpets should be thicker, absorbing even more butter and Marmite then their thinner cousins and partial-pikelet-lookalikes, and that perhaps they could charge an equal amount, or even more than, for the seeming harder work making just 6 of them. It was only in the last decade that Hovis followed my advice, and more than likely made a damn fortune from it.
I'd also given them the idea of a logo of a bald raccoon, still black-and-whitely hooped, made of crumpet, it's every step leaving a footprint of fatty desire, but that has yet to be taken seriously.

Quite honestly I prefer the thinner variety, and find that the thick ones tend to jam up in my toaster. Have you not realised that your desire for the more rounded version might lead to an incidence of kitchen conflagrations?

Besides reducing the number in the pack is like Dumbing Down, they then shrink your "meatier" crumpets gradually back to the dimensions of the old 8-pack. So you've diddled me out of quite a bit of crumpet there.

Please keep your "improvements" to yourself in future.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I told Mike Bamber to sell Peter Ward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People have got the wrong idea of this posting. It is not a question of 'look at me I thought of the DD idea' as some appear to want to make out but more a question of highlighting the total difference and the professional approach now as to the answer that was obviously fed to Insider by the club some 3 years ago. TB financial position is obviously the reason but it appears that they have adopted a complete transformation in their approach to their main core income the supporters. It appears that they now believe correctly that the supporters do matter and as such doing all they can to appease them. That has not always happened over many many years and many chairmen.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i suggested dick knight sign zamora. he did, and then took all the credit when it went right. i also suggested he sign turienzo. he did, and then let mcghee take the flak for that one :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here