Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How The Hell Are We Still 4th?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stuart Munday said:
We must sign a striker in the next month, if Knight gets injured were stuffed, and we need competition for places

Reckon the club's game plan for the rest of this season will be just to tread water til we get the green light for Falmer. Scrape together just enough points to keep us safe from relegation and keep the purse strings tied. I mean, why shell out a comparatively big chunk of dosh just so we can finish, say, tenth instead of fifteenth? Reckon on the evidence so far that nobody at the club is much fussed about going up. Sad but probably true.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
Reckon the club's game plan for the rest of this season will be just to tread water til we get the green light for Falmer. Scrape together just enough points to keep us safe from relegation and keep the purse strings tied. I mean, why shell out a comparatively big chunk of dosh just so we can finish, say, tenth instead of fifteenth? Reckon on the evidence so far that nobody at the club is much fussed about going up. Sad but probably true.

Tom - you and I are friends but that is utter tosh.

At the beginning of the season we spent money on a new keeper and a new striker.

Our position and latest playing style has far more to do with a certain manager walking out on us and a new manager getting to grips with a squad that he doesn't know very well yet and is still trying to stamp his style of play into them.

sbee

Jul 8, 2003
McPhee might try, but that's all he does.

He scored plenty pre-season alright, but he's not
what I would call a dangerous striker in the leon
or BZ mould. Something approaching that is what
we need as back-up for Leon and soon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie, you and I are indeed friends but, really, you can't be happy with the players up front. McPhee's come on in leaps and bounds, sure, but he lacks presence. Leon's scored a shedload of goals but only has one style of play and if he comes up against a defence that has him sussed then we're invariably stuffed. I'd just like to see the Albion put out a well-balanced attack of a couple of big strong seasoned pros - like Gillingham always manage to put together for example. Then we can hoof the ball up to 'em as much as we like.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Fair comment Tom but we have to work with what we've got for now.

Keep the faith mate

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lush said:
And your opinion is based on having seen him play how many times this season?
You telling me he has made a huge impact as although seen him once this season i can tell you something you might not know.

Hart is crap and do you see him scoring?:p

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Desert Orchid said:
No we're not. Although any team in our division would miss Knight, there is already a stand-in under McGhee's nose

Do you have anyone in particular in mind Dessie?

:rolleyes: :D

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Strikers are only as good as the service they get, unless they're class like a certain Mr Zamora.

You only have to look at our injuries: no Rodger, Blackwell, Oatway or Kuipers.

Watson, Pethick and Carpenter both below par or past it - you decide.

And we never really replaced Brooker did we?

Let's face it, even in a poor division our squad is too small which puts pressure on players like Cullip to perform every week.

If we finish in the top 6 I will be satisfied, but it would be nice to sign Yeates.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blackwell may well be playing in around a month - recovery on course

I think McPhee has been the one bright spot so far this season. He's been the only player who I think can honsestly say he's improved. At the moment he's reminding me more of Michael Robinson or Andy Ritchie as a player, rather than a Bobby Zamora.

Knight seems to have gone off the boil and seems overly conscious of his job of chief goal getter, but he's still the best player technically we have bu a country mile

larus

Ladies and Gentlemen.

We haven't played well very often.
We've had quite a few players out for more than the odd game.
We've lost one manager with one style and taken another with a quite different style.

We can either be pessimistic or optimistic.

Do we say, we're crap and all we've got is LK and we're going to be mid-table?
Or do we say, we're not playing great, but we know we can play better; there's some young players who are still learning but who are improving; the manager is proven at this level and wouldn't have signed for a club that wasn't prepared to match his ambitions.

I'm optimistic. Yes, we've been poor at times, but we're only half-way though the season and we're only a few points off the automatic places.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best 2 sides are pulling away at the top. We are the flotsom and jetsome that make up the next 15 teams. No better and no worse. We could be about 15th with another couple of defeats. We are no where near good enough to go up this season and without serious squad strengthening would get 4 points next season in div 1.

This season we are a very average side with a very average manager I am afraid.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2 wins from 6 in the league and being dumped out of 2 cup competitions. MMMMMMMMMM

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here