Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How The Hell Are We Still 4th?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gareth Glover said:
2 wins from 6 in the league and being dumped out of 2 cup competitions. MMMMMMMMMM

Same record as Coppouts first 6 games then

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yorkie said:
Same record as Coppouts first 6 games then

Just been back to look on the official site and his first 12 games with us

W 2
D 4
L 6

Then we won on Boxing Day and our season started taking off from that point.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Horton - Brilliant - 4
Wood - Poor - 6
Adams - Brilliant - 1
Taylor - Brilliant - 2
Hinshelwood - Very Poor - 7
Coppell - Brilliant - 3
McGhee - Average - 5

4 Brilliant managers, 1 average and 2 poor. Not a bad record from DK.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
That was in a higher division though Yorkie.
I must agree with Glover, we are very average this season.
I think we should be looking for promotion next season, that would be more realistic.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
From the last 23 league games under Coppell in Div 1 we were 8th in the league and we got 20 points from the last 10 league games.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rambo said:
That was in a higher division though Yorkie.
I must agree with Glover, we are very average this season.
I think we should be looking for promotion next season, that would be more realistic.

My point was that the team needs time to adjust to a new manager and his ideas. I know Gareth doesn't rate McGhee and I don't think he's had enough time yet to do what he really wants to do with the team.

The players were showing a lot more commitment on Saturday and trying to pass to each other but the conditions were awful.

I think things are starting to turn around with McGhee certainly in terms of the style of play. However the problem is one of lack of playing resources. As sick of it as I am, we just have to make do with what we have got at the moment. we definitely do need additional players in all areas of the pitch but a mass of transfer activity is just wishful thinking at the moment.

I would say that we are still 4th because of Leon Knight and his fantastic goal tally. But overall I agree with the comments stating we are an average team in an average league.

If we are still 4th come Easter I'll be delighted as maybe then we can start to think of our usual tilt for the title from about 8 points back:)

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
When Blackwell and Kuipers come back, we should be okay at the back and stop losing as many games. Maybe then we can scrape together some one-nil wins circa 2001-02.

But by then it will probably be too late anyway.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Remember that compared to last season we have lost

Zamora
Blackwell
Rodger
Brooker
Ingmarrson
and errrr Kitson

Realistically that is 5 out of our best 6 players from the team that Coppell had for the second half of last year, it's hardly any wonder that we are so average.

We do not have a devine right to be top of the league, especially with crowds of 6000

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
El Presidente said:
Remember that compared to last season we have lost

Zamora
Blackwell
Rodger
Brooker
Ingmarrson
and errrr Kitson

Realistically that is 5 out of our best 6 players from the team that Coppell had for the second half of last year, it's hardly any wonder that we are so average.

We do not have a devine right to be top of the league, especially with crowds of 6000

And dont forget Will Packham.

Barrett for all his lack of quality in front of goal was good as an outlet for holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

To answer the original question though were 4th because there is a lack of quality throughout the division. I've seen very few players who look like the next big thing. The only exceptions to that are loanees anyway such as James Milner and players who have been sold (Leon Mckenzie). It is still all to play for but god help us if we go up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the reason we are 4th is that we were 4 points clear at the top when the rot set in - now we are 7 points behind Plymouth (I think).

The fact that we had such a decent lead at one stage this season under Coppout hides the fact we are shit now. Basically, we are a mid-table side. It seems that some of the players - like some of us - are a bit apathetic this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here