Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How strong is the squad

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know we've got our tedious clump of twats whining about Poyet not bringing in another striker, but let's check the facts.

IMO, we're not as strong as the championship winning team(s) of 2001/2. But to be fair, we had a Premiership striker and some serious quality elsewhere. Morgan at the back, Watson, Carpenter, Kuipers and Danny Cullip playing out of their skins. Some of those would have walked into sides in the top half of the Championship, I reckon.

However, this one is more contentious: In 2004, Coppell and McGhee got this squad promoted:

Henderson
Kuipers,
Roberts,
Virgo,
Cullip,
Butters,
Harding,
Hart,
Oatway,
Carpenter
Reid,
Jones
Piercy,
Knight,
Iwelumo
Mayo,
Hinshelwood,
Rodger
McPhee
Pethick
Benjamin
Robinson

How does the class of 2010/11 compare to that of 2003/04?

Is this the true gauge of whether or not promotion is a realistic ambition?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its a harder division to get out of now in my opinion ?

Teams like Hudds, Charlton, Pboro,Plymouth etc etc. And in recent years, Leeds Norwich, we never had that 6 or so years ago, the odd side maybe but not in such numbers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think people look at the team that started, then look at the bench and think "bench is weak, must be a poor squad".

They don't tend to acknowledge that the strong team that starts is pretty much the second string spine of the team, and the bench is the third string.

Brez/Ankergren

Calderon
Elphick
Greer
Painter

Bennett
Kish
Sparrow
Navarro
Lualua

Murray

With a second string spine of

Ankergren/Brez
El Abd
Smith
Dicker
Barnes

With good squad players such as Hart (how adds experience, determination, heart, and a good closing the game out player), Holroyd (who currently provides a lot, albeit not yet the final touch), promising youngsters such as Barker, Caskey and Cook, and a few yet to have a serious chance to prove themselves with Baz and Battipiedi (who don't just need to gel with the team, they need to get used to the englsih game), Bridcutt and the other new signing (Torbjen?).

We have a better squad than people realise because they aren't looking at the injury/suspension list

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the first choice XI is very good and possibly good enough to reach the play offs but not so sure that we have sufficient stength in depth on the bench.

Back up keeper ok.
1 back up defender El Abd
I midfielder in Jamie Smith unless Bridcutt proives to be ok as Dicker will be used more with Navarro being injured.
No back up strikers good enough to make a difference if needed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with all of what has been said so far. A competent third striker would put us in a great position, but this is a strong league this season.

We're not going to get a big name striker in, but someone like Tresor Kandol (who isn't all that) would provide meaningful competition up front.

I honestly think we could finish anywhere between 1st and 8th.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Its a harder division to get out of now in my opinion ?

Teams like Hudds, Charlton, Pboro,Plymouth etc etc. And in recent years, Leeds Norwich, we never had that 6 or so years ago, the odd side maybe but not in such numbers.

That's an interesting twist on the original question, Would the 2004 squad get promoted out of this division this season? Or the 2001 squad for that matter.

Looking at that 2004 squad the major difference I can see is the experience in the middle of the pitch. Oatway, Carpenter, Roger, Cullip, Butters.

That team was really difficult to beat, and with Leon knocking the goals in for fun it gave us that extra cutting edge.

I rekon if that team were around now it would reach the play-offs again. I also think it's of similar quality to the squad we have now but with two big exceptions, a 20+ goal man, and that extra bit of experience where it counts.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think that the first choice XI is very good and possibly good enough to reach the play offs but not so sure that we have sufficient stength in depth on the bench.

Back up keeper ok.
1 back up defender El Abd
I midfielder in Jamie Smith unless Bridcutt proives to be ok as Dicker will be used more with Navarro being injured.
No back up strikers good enough to make a difference if needed.
Look at the squad of 2004. It included Jake Robinson, an aging Kerry Mayo, and perma-crocked John Peircy.

Some of our back up players would probably challenge for starting places in at least a third of squads in this division.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Look at the squad of 2004. It included Jake Robinson, an aging Kerry Mayo, and perma-crocked John Peircy.

Some of our back up players would probably challenge for starting places in at least a third of squads in this division.

But it offered choice with 3 good keepers about 6 competant defenders and a number of both midfield and striker options. A younger energetic Gary Hart who could fill in at full back, midfield or up front if needed and an ageing but not passed it Kerry Mayo who could still produce the goods.
Jake Robinson was the equivalent then of Holroyd or possibly even Barnes, a young inexperienced striker with potential.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my only real concern at the moment is our dicipline.

We have already lost two of the premium signings for some games. Greer and Sparrow. This showed out lack of depth in the squad which soon may be evident when winter settles in, and injuries and suspensions kick in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Current first 11 = Strong

Current Squad = Not strong enough

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Been obvious for a while that Poyet won't throw money at players who won't immediately improve the first team. Seems prepared to have a strong 13/14 players and take punts on a few players from the development squad making the grade or at least challenging the established players.

If a few of the likes of Baz, Battipiedi, Torby, Smith, Caskey etc can provide genuine competition and cover then we have a very, very strong squad.

Still need a striker though and Kandol would do for me, totally different to what we have and a steady proven scorer at this level.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm struggling to find a weakness in our team. If we play a 4-4-2 as Gus has suggested he wants to we have some very good players in the team and on the bench.

Brez - Almost half of his games for us have resulted in clean sheets - Reina would be happy with that
Calderon - Saints were after him, probably the most complete right back in L1
Elphick - good solid performer since Gus arrived, great with an experienced partner
Greer - Top defender, he will help plug the leaks
Painter - I've yet to see a better LB in L1, what he lacks in pace he makes up for in positioning - you can tell he has played with Premiership players
Bennett - undoubtedly a superb find
Dicker - great passer of the ball and reads the game so well
Sparrow - He's a machine, and could get plenty of goals from midfield
Lualua - Pace, he gets behind defenders which causes problems
Murray - great on the ball and could score hatfuls this season
Barnes - 5 in 12 and thats after 3 fruitless games this season

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
That's an interesting twist on the original question, Would the 2004 squad get promoted out of this division this season? Or the 2001 squad for that matter.

Looking at that 2004 squad the major difference I can see is the experience in the middle of the pitch. Oatway, Carpenter, Roger, Cullip, Butters.

That team was really difficult to beat, and with Leon knocking the goals in for fun it gave us that extra cutting edge.

I rekon if that team were around now it would reach the play-offs again. I also think it's of similar quality to the squad we have now but with two big exceptions, a 20+ goal man, and that extra bit of experience where it counts.

To be honest I thought that team over-achieved. We were pretty much outplayed by a better Swindon team over two legs and scrapped through due to one deflected shot at their place and then Virgo's last gasp heroics at ours. I certainly travelled to the Millennium Stadium more in hope than expectation and we won what to a neutral would have been viewed as a truly awful final.

As for this year - well time will tell!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
To be honest I thought that team over-achieved. We were pretty much outplayed by a better Swindon team over two legs and scrapped through due to one deflected shot at their place and then Virgo's last gasp heroics at ours. I certainly travelled to the Millennium Stadium more in hope than expectation and we won what to a neutral would have been viewed as a truly awful final.

As for this year - well time will tell!

Yeah we stumbled to promotion really but team spirt, hard work and a very mean defense shouldn't be forgotten. Cullip, Butters and Robers were all quality at this level, Chippy still had his legs and Leon was a livewire upfront. The difference is our playing style today makes us a totally different proposition and if we were to acheive promotion this team could continue to prosper.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think we have a very good first 11, and Gus said his ideal would be to have 2 first team players fighting for each position plus a third keeper to make a squad of 23.

Therefore we need:
Centre Back
Left Back - according to Gus after 28 days players are on instant recalls from their loans so we could have McNulty back if something happens to Painter - same with Tunnicliffe
Left Mid - someone to challenge/replace Lualua
Striker - although this should be sorted soon

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Left Back - according to Gus after 28 days players are on instant recalls from their loans so we could have McNulty back if something happens to Painter - same with Tunnicliffe

I think that is just short term loans, and McNulty and Tunnicliffe are on long term loans and can't be recalled.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we have a very good first 11, and Gus said his ideal would be to have 2 first team players fighting for each position plus a third keeper to make a squad of 23.

Therefore we need:
Centre Back
Left Back - according to Gus after 28 days players are on instant recalls from their loans so we could have McNulty back if something happens to Painter - same with TunnicliffeLeft Mid - someone to challenge/replace Lualua
Striker - although this should be sorted soon

recall is only on short term loans so we cannot get either player back as they are on season long loans (but Newcastle could, for example, recall LuaLua).

Tanno will be registered to play if Painter gets injured so left back potentially covered

Centre back cover comes from el abd and (when he returns) Dunk

Torby covers LuaLua (with Smith potentially covering Bennett)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here