Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How strong is the squad

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We have a good starting 11. Squad is not great.
Apart from Bennett and LuaLua we don't have any wingers. Leon Redwood looks promising but you can't chuck a kid into a push for promotion can you?
Obviously we need a striker unless TOBY is the nuts

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm struggling to find a weakness in our team. If we play a 4-4-2 as Gus has suggested he wants to we have some very good players in the team and on the bench.

Brez - Almost half of his games for us have resulted in clean sheets - Reina would be happy with that
Calderon - Saints were after him, probably the most complete right back in L1
Elphick - good solid performer since Gus arrived, great with an experienced partner
Greer - Top defender, he will help plug the leaks
Painter - I've yet to see a better LB in L1, what he lacks in pace he makes up for in positioning - you can tell he has played with Premiership players
Bennett - undoubtedly a superb find
Dicker - great passer of the ball and reads the game so well
Sparrow - He's a machine, and could get plenty of goals from midfield
Lualua - Pace, he gets behind defenders which causes problems
Murray - great on the ball and could score hatfuls this season
Barnes - 5 in 12 and thats after 3 fruitless games this season

All good, but the squad is the issue here, not the team... we have near-zero cover for Murray and Barnes until we sign this proven mystery striker...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We have a good starting 11. Squad is not great.
Apart from Bennett and LuaLua we don't have any wingers. Leon Redwood looks promising but you can't chuck a kid into a push for promotion can you?
Obviously we need a striker unless TOBY is the nuts

In terms of wingers, Smith has shown he can play on the left as he did at Swindon on the opening day so provides decent cover.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm struggling to find a weakness in our team. If we play a 4-4-2 as Gus has suggested he wants to we have some very good players in the team and on the bench.

Brez - Almost half of his games for us have resulted in clean sheets - Reina would be happy with that
Calderon - Saints were after him, probably the most complete right back in L1
Elphick - good solid performer since Gus arrived, great with an experienced partner
Greer - Top defender, he will help plug the leaks
Painter - I've yet to see a better LB in L1, what he lacks in pace he makes up for in positioning - you can tell he has played with Premiership players
Bennett - undoubtedly a superb find
Dicker - great passer of the ball and reads the game so well
Sparrow - He's a machine, and could get plenty of goals from midfield
Lualua - Pace, he gets behind defenders which causes problems
Murray - great on the ball and could score hatfuls this season
Barnes - 5 in 12 and thats after 3 fruitless games this season

Completely agree that looks a really good team. My slight issue, if you are playing 4-4-2, is having both wingers playing and also Sparrow and Dicker means there is no real defensive midfielder so might play Kishishev or Bridcutt, if he looks good. On the bench on top of that team we have Ankergren, El Abd, Smith, Kishishev and Bridcutt as well as others who are unproven but may make it. If we can get that extra striker then it really does look a good squad.

The exciting thing for me is that we have got 7 points from 4 games (which could have been more) without playing Lua Lua or Brezovan and with Greer, Sparrow and Navarro (who we hopefully have replaced) only playing one game so there is a lot more to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here