Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How scary are COWS?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, you're safe, haven't told it yet and it's one that will appear once but needs to be after a couple at least for the full impact!

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
Found myself in a field of cows the other day after a prolonged stay in the pub and they can be intimidating. I think part of the fear factor is that their actions are not controlled - there's no farmer there to stop them going for you, if you were to go bungee jumping for example there's trained staff there to make sure you don't get hurt.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
beware the cow , stick to the path etc etc , i have never seen a cow only on the telly do they really bite that much or are you guys making it up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not a BITE you need to worry about. Its being trampled by two tonnes worth of angry bovine that could cause an issue with your ribcage and internal organs.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How Scary Are Cows would be a great book title. If we can stretch Tim Over Whelmed's story by 90,000 odd words we may have a bestseller on our hands.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Cows are harmless, walked through plenty of fields filled with them and once they've figured out you are harmless they either ignore you or walk away from you. The exception are curious bullocks who will follow you but will back off as soon as you face them or walk towards them. A single bull in a field full of female cows is not a problem either though I wouldn't recommend going in a field with one on his own, if you do walk next to a fence and work out your escape route just in case because neither you or Usain Bolt will outrun it.

Dogs are the main problem particularly when there are calves, cows will go for dogs, but dogs have the ability to outrun them, therefore let any dog go if they start chasing it, if you hang on they will perceive you as a danger too.

If the cows are running around agitated then don't go in the field wait for them to calm down, the danger is all that weight in beef colliding with you and trampling you.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
Its not a BITE you need to worry about. Its being trampled by two tonnes worth of angry bovine that could cause an issue with your ribcage and internal organs.
i am sure i read somewhere that a cowbite is normally fatal so whats all the trampelling your organs crap

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Killer cows trample four people to death - Burnley Express

Published Date: 25 August 2009
THE deaths of four people who were trampled by cows in the past two months has led the National Union of Farmers to warn about the dangers of provoking the normally docile animals.
Cows can become aggressive and charge, especially when there are calves nearby, when walkers are accompanied by dogs, said the union.

The union and Ramblers' Association advise that walkers release dogs from their leads when passing through a field of cows.

"The cattle are interested in the dog, not the walker," said a spokesman. "As the cattle try to get the dog, there's a high chance they will get the walker too."

Britain has 7,500,000 cows but in the past eight years there have only been 18 deaths involving cattle, including bulls.

The current spate of attacks began in the Pennines in June, when a female vet was crushed against a wall and trampled underfoot while walking her two dogs.

In July 15, another attack took place in Derbyshire, when a 65-year old man was trampled to death by a cow as his wife looked on. Three days later, a 63-year-old woman was walking her dog near Cardiff when a cow attacked her and trampled her to death.

The fourth fatal attack claimed the life of a 75-year-old farmer from the West Country. He was killed by his own herd, which may have been agitated by the siren of a passing ambulance.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Theatre of Trees you sound just like my farmer mate, trust me, put your running kit on, run through the field, do your best "I'm not scared" impression and let me know how you get the stains that will follow out of lycra ... been there, done that, ... didn't work don't want the tee-shirt.

Prior to this I would have said the same as you ... cows are harmless ... bo(u)llocks mate!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Horses tend to be more easily controlled and will keep out of your way, whereas the Ninja Arundel cows are sneaky f**kers; they lie in wait looking all simple and soft and when you least expect .... pow, you're dead!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They only kill old people. Look at the ages of the four that died.:hilton:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Theatre of Trees you sound just like my farmer mate, trust me, put your running kit on, run through the field, do your best "I'm not scared" impression and let me know how you get the stains that will follow out of lycra ... been there, done that, ... didn't work don't want the tee-shirt.

Prior to this I would have said the same as you ... cows are harmless ... bo(u)llocks mate!

Well in over a decade of walking in the countryside I've never had a problem with a field of cows, always scout the lie of the land when walking through, and if they don't budge from an entrance I'll take a detour or wait for them to wander off or just get used to me being there. Running at cows is actually liable to spook them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK, got you TOT, just when your running you don't always get that luxury of judgement due to trying to keep vital organs in place and get a reasonable time, best just avoid my bovine chums when running ... love cows, just didn't see eye to eye with this one

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I had the same problem with horses today - I nearly shat myself as they were following me and my daughter quite quickly.

Did you have a rucksack or plastic bag? They probably thought you had something tasty to eat. The advice I got from a horseowner is to turn round face them and stick your arms out, horses have narrow lines of visions and making yourself look bigger makes them back off. If you start running they actually think its game and will keep chasing you. I had three run over to me walking through a field last Sunday, I stopped let the first one smell me at which point she lost interest and wandered off but not before getting kicked by one of the others.

Horses are generally flighty and are more prone to running off.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Anyhoo thanks to the EU and others theres a lot less cows in the country to worry about now days. Boo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here