Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth can we be losing £8 million a year?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
With that argument then it would be irrelevant to the club how many pies were sold all they would do is charge for the use of the premises and the staff.
So if the club charged £100 000. Removing the cost of staff and electricity plus the cost of leasing/buying the equipment the rest is profit. Brighton then couldn't give a shit what profit the pie makes. They make their money from providing the premises effectively leasing the outlet.

Exactly my point and exactly why I suspect if you knew how many pies were sold and set this against the pie suppliers concession charge the profit to the albion will be not much per pie!

Unless its written in the agreement we could all eat 2 pies each match and the club might not see any additional revenue. The amount of profit on each pie is more relevant to the supplier or even piemaker not the club

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Wages, the squad will be seriously trimmed down next season so don`t expect promotion anytime soon

Yes ,wages are the largest cost,and these will have to be cut if the deficit is to be reduced. We must already be in the premier league of beer and pie consumption !!!!. Although capital items will not be included,interest on loans will be.I am not sure anyone knows the complete picture of the Blooms involvement. (and why should we ?)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The thread should have ended here, everything else (especially the pie money) is just idle speculation.

I am slightly worried though with all the people saying "ok, we're making a loss now, but it's not a problem because when we get into the Premier League everything will be ok." That attitude sums up everything that's wrong with football. What do we do with all the accumulated losses if we don't get into the Prem and how long do we keep running at a loss for?

We do a "Palace" :thumbsup::lol:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Did I read that Azure were taking court proceedings against the club regarding the termination of the catering contract ?
Did they pay a hefty sum up front ?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
With that argument then it would be irrelevant to the club how many pies were sold all they would do is charge for the use of the premises and the staff.
So if the club charged £100 000. Removing the cost of staff and electricity plus the cost of leasing/buying the equipment the rest is profit. Brighton then couldn't give a shit what profit the pie makes. They make their money from providing the premises effectively leasing the outlet.

A genuine question from a financial idiot,what are we not going to spend 8million pounds on next season that we have spent it on this season in order to break even,i presume we will not cut the wage bill or sell players as that would probably mean moving down a division or 2

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
A genuine question from a financial idiot,what are we not going to spend 8million pounds on next season that we have spent it on this season in order to break even,i presume we will not cut the wage bill or sell players as that would probably mean moving down a division or 2

You charge concessions more, you raise ticket prices, you trim costs everywhere you perhaps not buy players or renew some contracts, basically you squeeze every sector of operations to eradicate the loss. You try and do that without pushing too far that you lose concessions, fans and team performance. i'd only start worrying if we didn't make top six or if attendances dropped next season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Concessions - i'd rather we pay a fixed sum so all the profit from additional sales goes to the club, or we take the vast majority leaving the concession with some incentive to better service at the tills.

Not the other way round of a fixed price paid by the albion, leaving super profit from improved sales all with the concession.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
You charge concessions more, you raise ticket prices, you trim costs everywhere you perhaps not buy players or renew some contracts, basically you squeeze every sector of operations to eradicate the loss. You try and do that without pushing too far that you lose concessions, fans and team performance. i'd only start worrying if we didn't make top six or if attendances dropped next season

I can`t see Gus hanging around for long when the consequences of that little lot kick in

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This isn't a criticism of this club but the industry as a whole.

But is anyone else concerned that FFP will be used as an excuse to fleece more money out of the fans rather than sort the real problem out..... Inflated wages ?

I'm getting increasingly annoyed by fans and management moaning about investment in the playing squad etc...

When will football including the fans wake up. We know what the problem is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exactly my point and exactly why I suspect if you knew how many pies were sold and set this against the pie suppliers concession charge the profit to the albion will be not much per pie!

Unless its written in the agreement we could all eat 2 pies each match and the club might not see any additional revenue. The amount of profit on each pie is more relevant to the supplier or even piemaker not the club

So why the f**k did your first post ask how much do I think is profit from a pie and you stated 30p (lick finger stick it in the air). You're now saying its irrelevant to the club so quite what is your point. If you said right at the start we f**ked by not charging enough to use our facilities, if that's the way the club have done (I don't know but am suspicious that's not the case) then fine but to start posting about the profit from a pie and then completely turn that around makes me think you haven't a clue about what you talking about.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You like the concessions buzzword.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
How much profit on a £3.50 pie do you think there is then ?
Tony bloom isn't making them at home during the week.

I guess that the Albion are on a 10% based on attendance.
I reckon piglets have a factory making them and them and by the time you add on transportation and distribution plus all the other costs of selling a pie it costs about £1.50-£2.00 I bet piglets want to make a quid or so on each pie don't forget they have to make money so by the time the Albion get their cut and take off the costs to administrate it its probably only 30p maybe 50p at a stretch

Well maybe he should, it would after all maximise profits eh?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005

As a matter of interest, what line of business are you involved in?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as interesting as the dynamics of pie pricing is, does anyone actually know where the losses have come from?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Well after reading this whole thread (about 10 minutes of my life i will never get back!!!) it appears that thanks to the pies we are financially in the shit!!!

Now, that being the case, if every fan who attends, eats 10 pies each on every home game! we will be in a very good financial position this time next year, there will be an added cost for making all the turnstiles bigger, apart from that ....Happy Days :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here