Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much personal debt do you have?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Er, you do have to pay back the capital. At the end of the loan term!
eh? they never told us that... :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Albion Dan said:
Half a £200k Mortgage and £3k on a credit card, although I have plenty in the bank for a rainy day.
It's none of my business obviously but this is a nosey thread: why not pay off the credit card with the bank money?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Man of Harveys said:
It's none of my business obviously but this is a nosey thread: why not pay off the credit card with the bank money?

It might b on an 0% card and if not it should be :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
None of my business either MoH, but the credit card may well be interest free, whilst the money in the bank actually accrues some, if that is the case then it would be pointless paying it off until it needed to be.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ah, of course - I just associate credit cards with rip-off interest rates.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Man of Harveys said:
Ah, of course - I just associate credit cards with rip-off interest rates.

They're really good if you're clever about it. My dad needed 13k to carry out some renovations so I found him a load of interest free purchase offers and he paid for it all on them. Then when it came to the end of the period he just transeferred the remaining balance to 0% balance transfer cards. The most you pay is the equivalent of 2% interest as the fee to transfer the balance.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Personally I have never bothered with credit cards, either with or without interest, any free pennies sit in a building society account as they do earn a little interest there, they are thus available for use as and when needed.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
No unsecured debt like loans or credit cards - 34k on a mortgage up north and about £30k left on a flat we have being rented out in Lewes. Possibly about to pick up another property on the outskirt of Wakefield.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Gully said:
Personally I have never bothered with credit cards, either with or without interest, any free pennies sit in a building society account as they do earn a little interest there, they are thus available for use as and when needed.

I've got a credit card that I use regularly. I've had it for 6 years and I've never paid a penny in interest. They must love customers like me :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
About £1K on interest free credit card and £70k odd mortgage with 12 years left.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Now a middle aged bloke with a 39k mortgage and no unsecured loans, but in my youth I ran up over 9 months

£1400 car loan

£500 overdraft with Lloyds (who eventually stopped my cheque card)

£1000 on credit card, which I couldn't afford to pay off (so blacklisted)

£2000 HFC loan to be used to pay off the car loan and credit card. I didn't, but boozed it away

£1,800 salary advance for a rail ticket to London. Never purchased, but boozed away.

The car I bought with my car loan, was eventually sold for £600 and I boozed that away.

1988 was a great year. 1989-1990 wasn't so when the gravy train stopped.

I was a living lesson on debt mismanagement and all the sleepless nights worrying about it. Never again.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Man of Harveys said:

I always have it on a 0% interest card and I like to have cash available just in case I need it. Ive earmarked some of it for a new conservatory as the one at the house weve we moved into is horrible, and just in case I get made redundant I like to have about 4-5 months worth of salary just in case.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mortgage ( nearly gone - next year) and a car loan.

Apart from that not much more, thankfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here