• Over 19, Under 20 stone

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Over 20 stone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What year are you in over there? Who weighs in stones and pounds these days?

I've had to do a mental conversion....at this time of the morning

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Who weighs in stones and pounds these days?

Everyone I would have thought, or am I that out of touch?

It is a struggle getting used to these pounds and pence, I have to admit. Give me my shillings, D and half crowns any day of the week...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Everyone I would have thought, or am I that out of touch?

I can't remember the last time I weighed myself using pounds and stones but it must be at least 15 years ago. I've belonged to three gyms and they'll weighed in kilos and every time I've been weighed at hospitals/doctors (and this is going back 25 years) I've been weighed in kilos. Do you even get scales that weigh in pounds and stones these days?

I was at school in the 60s/70s and we conducted all our experiments in kilos - nothing was weighed in pounds. I agree that it took a while for metric to filter its way into everyday life but we even buy our vegetables in kilos these days.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
11 Stone 7 at the moment.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
11 stone 10 lbs at present

No idea whatsoever what that equates to in kilos, I only ever weigh myself in stones and lbs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No idea whatsoever what that equates to in kilos, I only ever weigh myself in stones and lbs.

But how?

As I said it's years since I've seen a scales in Imperial. And I can't believe that a doctor would weigh you in stones/pounds, metric has been the standard in the health service since the 70s.

I'm not particularly bothered one way or the other as I learned both and if a scales used stones, then that's what I'd use but there aren't many about. It does seem that people have gone out of their way (no pun intended) to use old measures.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
But how?

As I said it's years since I've seen a scales in Imperial. And I can't believe that a doctor would weigh you in stones/pounds, metric has been the standard in the health service since the 70s.

I'm not particularly bothered one way or the other as I learned both and if a scales used stones, then that's what I'd use but there aren't many about. It does seem that people have gone out of their way (no pun intended) to use old measures.

I honestly don't know anyone who weighs themselves in kilos.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I honestly don't know anyone who weighs themselves in kilos.

Likewise.

Whenever I have a conversation about people's weight in any context, with any person (well, any British person at least, the Seps use lbs), it's conducted in terms of stones and lbs, not kilos.

In boxing, official weights are always taken, recorded and announced in stones and lbs (with the US variant mentioned above use over there), never in kilos.

I don't think that, in everyday life, people are as metric as you seem to believe. Whenever I'm asked my height, I always reply in feet and inches, I've no idea exactly what it equates to in metres and centimetres (1m 90-something, I'd guess)

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
But how?

You clearly aren't looking very hard. A quick search on their respective websites has revealed that virtually every set of scales sold by both Woolworths and Argos has a dual dial weighing in both imperial and metric measurements, even the £2.99 cheapo jobby.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
17st 8LBs:down::down::down::down::down:

They upped my dose of BP pills and my weight has shot up

I wouldnt mind but my only vice is the occasional bottle of wine, I dont eat crap, my missus makes my rolls on a lunchtime, i eat loads of fruit and veg, and we never ever fry anything. Its only when I go to footy I have the occasional burger!

Its bloody annoying( and mildly worrying)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here