Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you spend weekly on food ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Where are you all shopping? Even on a "quiet" week my bill is £100.

There is no booze in this either! I might have to try online.

Deffo cheaper online as you don't get tempted by all the "goodies" down the aisles as you wander around a supermarket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£125 a week, 2 adults, 20 year old and 15 year old.

The elder eats for England yet stick thin - bloody annoying

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Deffo cheaper online as you don't get tempted by all the "goodies" down the aisles as you wander around a supermarket.

But do you end up going topping up in the week? I would probably end up in the Co-Op every night buying biscuits!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Where are you all shopping? Even on a "quiet" week my bill is £100.

There is no booze in this either! I might have to try online.

Little snippet of advice for free ;)

If you use all the companies that deliver eg Tesco, Asda ETC, every 2/3 weeks they begin to miss your custom so they email you voucher codes to come back. You can save a lot of money if you use a different store every week. :rolleyes:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I bet your watching CH4.

Well, that C4 investigation was brilliant. After 30 minutes they have told us that the supermarket convenience stores (Tesco Express, Sainsbury Local, etc) are more expensive to buy fresh products than the supermarket superstores. No shit Sherlock

Still more interesting that the dire Saints v Everton game on Sky SPorts 1 though

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton

If you use all the companies that deliver eg Tesco, Asda ETC, every 2/3 weeks they begin to miss your custom so they email you voucher codes to come back. You can save a lot of money if you use a different store every week. :rolleyes:

That's great a tip thanks however, I only use Sainsburys as my work do a scheme where you get 5% discount by buying vouchers upfront - do you reckon my savings by switching each week would outstrip this?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
That's great a tip thanks however, I only use Sainsburys as my work do a scheme where you get 5% discount by buying vouchers upfront - do you reckon my savings by switching each week would outstrip this?

I can't really answer that other than to say that we often get up to £20 off discounts quite regularly as well as other good offers of % off shopping valid for periods of time.. Hope this helps :cheers:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I can't really answer that other than to say that we often get up to £20 off discounts quite regularly as well as other good offers of % off shopping valid for periods of time.. Hope this helps :cheers:

I'm going to give it a go for a month or so - can always revert back to the one supermarket if all else fails. Cheers mate :cheers:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
£90 for two adults and a 9 month old on a weekly online shop. It definitely works out a lot cheaper doing it online.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well, that C4 investigation was brilliant. After 30 minutes they have told us that the supermarket convenience stores (Tesco Express, Sainsbury Local, etc) are more expensive to buy fresh products than the supermarket superstores. No shit Sherlock

Still more interesting that the dire Saints v Everton game on Sky SPorts 1 though

:lolol:

Tesco's have a fantastic 87% saving when buying corriander from their superstore against their Express stores or was it 87% more expensive when buying from an Express!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
There are a couple of cons to shopping this way... They sometimes substitute items if they are out of stock, which can be frustrating but not a common problem. Obviously someone has to be home to accept delivery which is within a 2 hour timeslot that is booked when you place your order.

We consider it overall with the money saved and not having to drag the whole family around "pain in the arse" supermarkets every week, well worth the downsides to online shopping.

D

Deleted member 18477

Purely food about £30. With toiletries, kitchen roll, bog roll etc it would be about £40.

Basically £160 a month for all of a supermarket shop.

When I was with parents and family it was £160 a week for 5 of us!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere

Also, the supermarkets put their prices up around the last/first day of the month, when everyone gets paid. The cheapest time to shop is the last week of the month. And Saturday/Sunday early evening when everything gets reduced.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There are a couple of cons to shopping this way... They sometimes substitute items if they are out of stock, which can be frustrating but not a common problem. Obviously someone has to be home to accept delivery which is within a 2 hour timeslot that is booked when you place your order.

We consider it overall with the money saved and not having to drag the whole family around "pain in the arse" supermarkets every week, well worth the downsides to online shopping.

You also need to watch out for their "special deals" which aren't. Many a time I have found a multi-buy "extra special offer" is more expensive than buying the same quantity loose. I remember one a couple of weeks ago where a special offer was "pack of 3 onions for 90p", where loose onions were 19p each!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
More than I thought after adding it up! Always thought I spent very little as I cook from scratch virtually every time. Buying for two people:

25 or so in the butchers every two weeks
fiver in the greengrocers every two weeks
tenner for the milkman a week (I'm starting to think I live in 1955 or something now - butcher, greengrocer and milkman. We don't have a paper boy though.)
50 or so in Lidl every month
Generally 50 or so a month in Tesco too but I've got over 600 clubcard points in the past two months - Christmas food and drink did that mostly
Probably 40-50 quid a week in the convenience store down the road I keep telling myself not to shop in

And work pay for my lunch five days a week so there's another 150 a month or so on that. Though the Lidl/Tesco/convenience store will include some non-food household items.

Had that C4 show on also, the claim that greengrocers "can" be cheaper than the supermarkets is absolutely true, as often are butchers. The ones I use are in the carpark of a Tesco Extra and are consistantly cheaper, as well as having better quality veg and more choice of meat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here