Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you OWE?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
We worked it out this evening and it's a rather scary six figure sum, although we have equity in two properties.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Nothing. There's this weird concept that students don't seem to grasp - called budgeting. Simple, I worked before I went to uni and I work during holidays. I haven't even had to ask my parents to contribute to my tuition fees. I don't see how saving money and forward planning is impossible to so many of my peers.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
About £10k student loan from my undergrad, plus another £7.1k or so in career development loan for my postgrad this year. I best get a job at the end of it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't see how saving money and forward planning is impossible to so many of my peers.

I said the same when talking about my season ticket. Maybe women find it easier to save.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nothing. There's this weird concept that students don't seem to grasp - called budgeting. Simple, I worked before I went to uni and I work during holidays. I haven't even had to ask my parents to contribute to my tuition fees. I don't see how saving money and forward planning is impossible to so many of my peers.

Some students spent money on a Gap Year that can be very worthwhile and extremely fulfilling. The student loan is the cheapest loan you will ever receive, so it is worth considering alternatives to just working and going straight to University.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I said the same when talking about my season ticket. Maybe women find it easier to save.

I find it too easy to spend :lol: - Having said that when I got myself in a situation when I was worried by my credit card payments - I also knuckled down and sorted it out without taking out a loan! I would have loved a new laptop and a new mobile - but I just can't at the moment and I won't....not sure if thats truly a girl thing but its just the way it is....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When Gina mentioned peers was she only talking about male students? I interpreted it was wider ranging than that...

So did I but then went on to mention women because it was Gina and I who were discussing saving instead of spending.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Some students spent money on a Gap Year that can be very worthwhile and extremely fulfilling. The student loan is the cheapest loan you will ever receive, so it is worth considering alternatives to just working and going straight to University.

I agree. Financially, it's better to do a gapyear before uni than to go travelling afterwards. I found the money I saved during VIth form was enough to fund my first year. I don't feel comfortable borrowing any money at all. My parents instilled this in me from a young age. Probably for the best.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't know what that means.

Sorry Bozza, Yorkie is entitled to her opinion and her posts just as everyone else is here and I'm getting sick and tired of every one of her posts being attacked, picked and belittled. Maybe you weren't trying to do that there so I apologise - but it happens all over and nearly every time she posts. Personally I've had enough of it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree. Financially, it's better to do a gapyear before uni than to go travelling afterwards. I found the money I saved during VIth form was enough to fund my first year. I don't feel comfortable borrowing any money at all. My parents instilled this in me from a young age. Probably for the best.

I found that my gap year experiences were hugely beneficial when it came to job interviews, those that are organised and putting a huge amount of time and effort into a voluntary cause. It certainly gives you an edge over those who went straight from University to school. So in a sense, it is an investment. Borrowing money does not have to be seen as a 'sin', it can be essential.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
6 figure mortgage, but mortgages don't count, do they?

I don't owe a penny on store cards, credit cards (always clear the card on every statement), loans or overdrafts and not sure I ever will again. Actually that's not quite true - one of my credit card companies offered me 0% on purchases for 6 months and 4% cashback on those same purchases so, in 3 months, I've put about £5k on it and have stuck the cash in a savings account. I'll pay the card off in full when interest is about to start being charged and cheerfully take the cashback money and the interest earned.

In my early 20s I found myself owing around £10k on credit cards. It's quite a serious amount of cash, especially at that age (and earning potential) to know you've got to find TEN THOUSAND POUNDS to have nothing at all. I'm not sure where it went wrong at that time because, as a student, I was pretty decent with money. I did take out a couple of student loans - one helped pay for a holiday to Florida, and the other bought me a Tag Heuer watch that, 16 years later, I've probably worn every day since.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sorry Bozza, Yorkie is entitled to her opinion and her posts just as everyone else is here and I'm getting sick and tired of every one of her posts being attacked, picked and belittled. Maybe you weren't trying to do that there so I apologise - but it happens all over and nearly every time she posts. Personally I've had enough of it.

Thanks tedebear. Some people seem to think I am fair game.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
No loans, CCards etc etc, my house is worth 180,000 more than I'm currently paying for it

does that count though ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks tedebear. Some people seem to think I am fair game.

(This isn't aimed at you) Isn't anyone who posts on an internet messageboard, this one and others, 'fair game'?

We put our opinions up to be shot at. Sometimes no-one shoots, sometimes there's a warning shot fired above our heads and sometimes we get 2 full barrels at point blank range.

If you can't stand the heat, go to that Ice Hotel place. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
(This isn't aimed at you) Isn't anyone who posts on an internet messageboard, this one and others, 'fair game'?

We put our opinions up to be shot at. Sometimes no-one shoots, sometimes there's a warning shot fired above our heads and sometimes we get 2 full barrels at point blank range.

Only sometimes Bozza?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here