Votes: 10 9.2%

Votes: 4 3.7%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 - I don't expect to make the next one

• 17 - I remember the first one (I'm lying)

• Total voters

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i'm 22 but my world cup history is poor.

1990 - too young. don't remember.
1994 - no england. no fun.
1998 - beckham. argies. penalties. out.
2002 - doing my economics a-level as england are getting beat by brazil. invigilator puts score up on whiteboard at front. kill me now.

2006 - simply cannot wait.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Four most memorable moments:

Gordon Banks save 1970
Schumaker violent assault, what year?
Jairzinho goal 1970 , with the Pele dummy (MAGIC)
Geoff Hurst, its all over now goal 1966.

PS: I remember all the anticipation of the Scottish performance in Chile and Johnstone the winger (star) getting caught out on pep pills. There was another Scottish performance in a 2-2 draw with Holland, the orange marvels, which were good to watch.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
I was seven in 78 and remember a few of the games

82 was the first big one for me, we had foreign language students from Germany and Spain staying with us - great laugh. Also helped that I'd been to my first few Albion games the previous season (glory seeking, fair weather fan)

Paolo Rossi, Shumacher nearly killing Battiston, Robson scoring on 27 seconds, Austria and Germany stitching up Algeria, Zico, Socrates. 82 was a great World Cup

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
perseus said:
Four most memorable moments:

Schumaker violent assault, what year?

1982 my first World Cup that I can remember (only 4 in 78). In Hindsight we were unlucky that year. We won all 3 of our group games and got a second group of Germany and Spain (the Hosts) didn't lose either and went out.

France, meanwhile, who finished 2nd to us got a group of Austria and Northern Ireland and progressed to the semi's where Batiston? was assaulted by Schumaker. Worst foul I have ever seen and not even a card.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was alive for the '58 and '62 ones but knew nothing about them.

1966 was the first one I remember - which rather spoiled it for all subsequent ones.

I remember being so tense in the final that I had go out to kick a ball around the garden to relieve the tension: got back just in time to see the third goal.

At that age (9) I thought that England winning was the natural order of things - how little I knew.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I was born in May 1984, which makes me 22, so technically this will be my 6th world cup. I was only two In 86 so obviously I remember nothing about it. I was 6 in 1990 and I can remember a few things about it, but again I was very young. So 1994 (USA) was the first one I remember watching vividly, and that wasn't enjoyable coz we didnt Qualify.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Best two to watch were 1970 & 1982. 1966 was in black and white though.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
i vaguely remember the 1994 games and askin my dad "why did'nt he put the ball in the goal?" (Baggio penalty in the final), every time i have a convo about football with him he still reminds me of a time when i didnt kno anything about fotball. (not much has changed!) i rember the 98 finals as my 1st one and rushing home from school for the games but i missed the beckham red card coz i was recreating the owen goal with my mates in my back garden!

Roll on 2006:clap2: :drink:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Agree with the foul by Schumacher on Battiston, if any of us did that in the street we would probably end up being charged with assault and face a distinct possibility of a custodial sentence, yet he didn't even get a yellow card. Easily the worst tackle I have seen, even worse than Hughton on Ryan and that was horrendous.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I can remember the 82 final, so much expectation, Englands first finals since 1970, Keegan and Brooking, great memories as an 8 yr old.

I can just about remember 78 but was only 4 so not going to count that one.

So 6 for me.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
1994 is the first one i really remember - Baggio's penalty miss, Pagiluca kissing the goal post after Brazil narrowly missed in the final, Irelands run under Jack Charlton and correct me if im wrong but Leonardo's horror tackle on Tab Ramos of the USA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here