FIVE !
42" in the lounge - LED
22" LCD in the master bedroom
17" LCD in the kitchen
17" LCD In daughter 1
17" LCD in daughter 2
no telly in the guest room.

Someone mentioned computers:
In my little 6x4 office, I did a quick count: 2 desktops (server & internet only) and 7 laptops [3 awaiting repair, 2 awaiting sale, 1 for my business and 1 for cricket coaching]
Wife and daughters both have laptops too ....

Which part of Brighton do you live in? When are you off on your hols this year?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Serious question... (well it's not a serious question, I'm just not fishing...)

All the folks who have LOADS of TVs in their house - I can see that it's useful to reduce the arguments about what to watch, but if you're all spread around the house watching different stuff, do you ever talk to each other?

There's just me & the missus in my household, so there's no need for more TVs (other than 1 + the PC as mentioned above), but I grew up in a household of 5 and we only ever had 1 TV anyway. We used to watch things together, so the TV was entertainment giving rise to conversation, rather than a goggle-box for individual consumption... (I'm only 34, so this was mostly the 1980s before you young whipper-snappers start!). I really don't like the idea of a family all split up in different rooms, plugged into a TV or computer screen...

Anyone else think along the same lines?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

All the folks who have LOADS of TVs in their house - I can see that it's useful to reduce the arguments about what to watch, but if you're all spread around the house watching different stuff, do you ever talk to each other?

There's just me & the missus in my household, so there's no need for more TVs (other than 1 + the PC as mentioned above), but I grew up in a household of 5 and we only ever had 1 TV anyway. We used to watch things together, so the TV was entertainment giving rise to conversation, rather than a goggle-box for individual consumption... (I'm only 34, so this was mostly the 1980s before you young whipper-snappers start!). I really don't like the idea of a family all split up in different rooms, plugged into a TV or computer screen...

Yup agree. It's lazy parenting and raises social retards.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
We have 5 tv's in our house

1 in the bedroom
1 in the kitchen
1 in the living room
1 in the dining room
1 in his bedroom and he really needs to stop borrowing his mothers' clothes and buy his own

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We used to have a shit load. Everywhere you looked there was another f***ing telly. Since we've moved we've gone down to one in the living room. We listen to more radio, more music, read more and tend to only watch telly if there is actually something worth watching or we fancy a movie. BIG improvement in quality of life.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
46" in the Lounge, a 20" (or something small like that) in the kitchen/Dining room, and a small portable in the garage for when on the exercise bike/rower.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2. 1 in the lounge and one in my autistic son's bedroom - he has had one since very young as he finds it extremely therapeutic - he once told us that his videos were his friends.

Similar to what El Pres has been telling us about his vids.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Always keep a spare one.

Is there anyone (like a charity) that can use analogue CRT televisions or should I just take them to the tip ???

Don't take too many monitors and TV's at one go. They think you are a trade and not a miser.

There is a special place at the dump called the TV Graveyard, where TVs and monitors go to be euthanised, even before they are really dead.

Just intercepted two flatscreen TVs on the way to the dump. I can use them as computer monitors. Only titchy though.

I watch one hour of TV a week which makes the TV Licence horrendiously expensive. Bulky TV.

Analogue TVs in a queue for the dump. The main one I use infrequently.

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I was shagging a bird over in Essex whose parents lived in huge mansion (Daddy was a Banker).

I went round there once and counted all the TV's. They had 24. TWENTY FOUR TV's. Her dad readily admitted that some had never been used. Insane.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Big one in the lounge and the two remaining kids at home have one in each of their rooms.
we don't have one in either the kitchen, dining room or our or the guest bedroom.
As grown ups why would you want one in the bedroom?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You may think differently if you ever have others in the house -

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
You may think differently if you ever have others in the house -

Possibly - my opinions may change when confronted with the reality.... BUT I do at least intend to follow my folks' lead when it comes to parenting. We were very outdoorsy, no TV allowed in the morning & only on in the evening when we'd done our homework. We never had the latest toys / gadgets and didn't get regular pocket money (if we needed something, we'd ask & mum or dad would cough up, but it did mean there was a filter for what we got and the key principle was that it was needed rather than wanted).

I had a bloody brilliant childhood and I hope to give the same to my future offspring.

There will be wry smiles at my naivety from parents who have been there and done it, but the way I see it, if my kids don't see the TV as the be-all and end-all in the first place, why would there be any need to buy loads to keep everyone happy?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Possibly - my opinions may change when confronted with the reality.... BUT I do at least intend to follow my folks' lead when it comes to parenting. We were very outdoorsy, no TV allowed in the morning & only on in the evening when we'd done our homework. We never had the latest toys / gadgets and didn't get regular pocket money (if we needed something, we'd ask & mum or dad would cough up, but it did mean there was a filter for what we got and the key principle was that it was needed rather than wanted).

I had a bloody brilliant childhood and I hope to give the same to my future offspring.

There will be wry smiles at my naivety from parents who have been there and done it, but the way I see it, if my kids don't see the TV as the be-all and end-all in the first place, why would there be any need to buy loads to keep everyone happy?

Nothing wrong with any of that as a philosophy. It is having the tv as an option in other rooms though that matters in our house. We don't use them all the time but they are there if we want. There are 6 people in our house at the moment and we don't all want to sit together in one room all of the time.

We might all have a sing song round the old piano tonight though.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
1 32 inch in the lounge. The bedroom is for other activities........................:lol::bigwave::censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here