Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many season ticket holders won't bother to turn up?

Bearing in mind that some people are saying that thirty-something quid a month is peanuts to commit, is it likely that a good proportion of season ticket holders will turn out to be "no shows" at quite a lot of next season's games?

How will this affect the atmosphere?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think once people visit the Amex they will want to go to every game, to be honest. In fact, I think the proportion of sth absentees will be lower than at Withdean. Speaking from personal experience, I have blown a few games out myself when it's been tipping it down and I just haven't fancied sitting in the South Stand getting soaked to the skin watching us play Walsall or whoever.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm more concerned that half the crowd and particularly the 1901s will stay in the bars and restaurants for half the match. I know this happens at Leeds as they are able to watch the match on screens by the bars.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm more concerned that half the crowd and particularly the 1901s will stay in the bars and restaurants for half the match. I know this happens at Leeds as they are able to watch the match on screens by the bars.

ALL the 1901ers I know are fanatical Albion fans. I'm not sure where this idea that the majority are of the prawn sandwich brigade comes from. From what I can tell most are older ardent fans who have treated themselves to the best having endured 20 odd years of supporting a club either in a run down shithole called the Goldstone, 100+ miles from home in Kent or at rain sodden Withdean.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very possibly for me+1, and it's nothing to do with not wanting to go to every game, but due to the practicalities of living nearly 200 miles away and the time and cost associated with travel. (For example, it will cost more in petrol to get to each game than my monthly DD for the 2 tickets)

I will try to ensure the tickets are used as much as possible given the 'complications' that smartcards can present.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm more concerned about the prawn sandwiches and fine wines meaning an empty second tier of the West Stand for much of the second half. :nono:

<edit: posted before I saw Notters very similar comments above>

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's an excellent question, and one good reason why the club needs to sort out a sensible ticketing exchange. If people decide next season that they are wasting their money on a season ticket because they can't get to enough games, then clearly sales will drop off come renewal time. In addition, what happens when existing season ticket holders want to bring along other people to a game? If possible, they should be able to move to seats where all of the party are sitting together.
I guess I am concerned that not enough is being done to ensure that movement around the ground is possible, and nothing is being done to ensure unused seats are taken. I hope this is a fuss over nothing, but right now I'm not sure.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
ALL the 1901ers I know are fanatical Albion fans. I'm not sure where this idea that the majority are of the prawn sandwich brigade comes from. From what I can tell most are older ardent fans who have treated themselves to the best having endured 20 odd years of supporting a club either in a run down shithole called the Goldstone, 100+ miles from home in Kent or at rain sodden Withdean.
I think you missed the point there! A lot of people would rather be drinking than watching a shit match.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Totally agree in principal. I know the four of us that have got tickets will be in our seats way before kick off and won't be missing any of the action. I do think however there will be an element who will do as Notters has said, because in some cases companies have bought the tickets and will be giving them to staff who may/may not be Albion fanatics.

Mind you there are already a number of North Standers at the moment who go to hospitality at half time and don't make it back for kick off.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Surely us mere mortals will be able to do the same on the concourse?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Won't always be practical for me to travel down from London due to commitments elsewhere, espescially midweekers... but so long as it is possible I shall be giving my ticket to mates that want to go see when I can't make it.

I know someone who will be out of the country until at least the 2012/13 season who is thinking of buying a season ticket for next season - on the grounds that the monthly instalments are so affordable he'll barely notice them.

How many other fans are buying season tickets with the same thinking - knowing, like Bozza for example, that they will miss some (maybe most) matches? "Hell, it's only half a tank of fuel each month, I might as well ..."

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If people decide next season that they are wasting their money on a season ticket because they can't get to enough games, then clearly sales will drop off come renewal time.

Is there a renewal time ? I thought the purpose of the monthly instalments throughout the year was that there is no point where you say "shall I renew ?".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is there a renewal time ? I thought the purpose of the monthly instalments throughout the year was that there is no point where you say "shall I renew ?".
Oh right, makes sense. Nevertheless, at some point when the novelty has worn off, there are going to be massive gaps in the seating where STHs haven't turned up. As I say, I do hope they put a decent ticket exchange in place, although maybe there will be less of a need if they can increase capacity sooner rather than later.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm not sure this will be a massive problem. A ST still costs £400+ and I don't reckon too many people are happy to throw most of that away. In terms of priorities, I'm just happy the tickets are being sold. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here