Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many premiership class players have we got ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Vicente, Buckley (my, are we missing him at the moment), Bridcutt potentially, Dunk (though look what happened to Joel Lynch; some thought he could go all the way), Noone maybe, CMS definitely, Forster-Caskey, will we ever find out? Stoke fans certainly seemed impressed with him in the time he was on, Hoskins, again hard to tell considering the little time he has played. To be honest, none of the others are anywhere near.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
For me its vicente, possibly cms but im not convinced and with the potential of buckley who in my eyes looks.pure pure class

seagulls

Albeit when Newcastle were safe and had nothing to play for.

Yes, but my point is that he's Prem quality - there are worse in that division than Lua Lua, and he would fit in with several top sides imho.
Dunk is coming up fast, Hoskins and Buckley might well prove capable.

We won't be expected to set the Prem on it's tail, but with a core of some of our lads and adding more when/if we will need - I think we'd be okay.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In the late seventies, the players that survived two seasons to Division One were Eric Steele (who replaced Peter Grummmitt late in the season, but was replaced by Graham Moseley), Peter Ward, Peter O'Sullivan and Brian Horton.

The four players this time around would be Adam el-Abd, Glenn Murray, Elliot Bennett, and Liam Bridcutt. Two have jumped ship.

When we went to Division Two we made three significant signings: Lawrenson, Williams and Maybank.

This time we would have to make at least five significant (four successful) signings to match up: CMS, Hoskins, Buckley, Vicente.

But with an injury to el-Abd made up with the form of Dunk. However, the importance of Lawrenson was so great that it sort of skewed the policy.

In short we seem to have CMS, Buckley, Vicente, Lua lua, el-Abd, Bridcutt that might very well make the grade. Without Lawrenson, I don't think we would have gone up before.

In short it would be nice if we could beat Liverpool and Manchester United to sign the best young central defender in Europe.

cf. midfield in the Division One early days: Horton, O'Sullivan, Ryan/McNab.

The only comparable difference is that we do not have a Lawrenson.

In out last second tier promotion we only lost two home games, 0-2 to Cambridge (first game of the season) and 1-2 to West Ham.

Last edited:

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
none otherwise they would, potential and now our miles apart!!!!!!!!!!!! dunk and bridcutt our the only ones with potential, noone if he carrys on the way he is and puts some weight on will be, sadly i think lua lua will b going back in jan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here