Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many points for the play offs ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They can't make all the teams, odds on. They would not have a industry.
If there were less teams vying for the play-offs, they would make them odds on, but there's several with a chance, so they're odds against. If they thought we'd finish in the play-offs more often than not, we'd be odds on. They're not a charity, they make money.
The FACT is we are the third favs to make the play offs. Which means on the book they clearly think we will. I can't see how you can argue with that. West Ham(1), Birmingham(2) then us (3)...that how they are pricing it...End of debate.
Ignoring SCC and Reading, it's WH 1, Birm 2, then 3 teams joint 3rd/4th/5th, and 2 teams close behind. So in the book they think we're more likely to than Hull and Cardiff, but overall they still think we're more likely to miss the play-offs than make them. It's like saying that just because a Horse is the favourite to win a race (at say 6-1), the bookies think the horse will win the race - no, they don't, it's just the favourite - and in your world, it would be a total failure if that favourite didn't win.

Either you trolling, or being stupid.

Last edited:

Don't talk crap...your talking about four teams making the play offs out of a possible 8 or 9. Saints and Reading not included. West Ham and Birmingham are odds on(first number smaller, than the second as you so cleverly put it,lol)...and we are third favs at 6/5 with bet365.....So if we are third favs, and their are another five teams below us. Then how on earth do they think we wont?...If they thought we wont, we would be 2/1 or 5/2 or even bigger....I've probably forgotten more about betting than you will ever know.

We may well be third favourites (and rightly so IMO) however, when the bookies have factored in the chances off all the teams that are below us, as well as above us, they have determined that it's an 'odds against' chance of us making the play offs.

I won't resort to any insults, instead I will ask you to consider your point of view and look at the situation from the bookies point of view.

There will at some stage before the end of the season be 4 teams that are odds on for the play offs. Currently we are not one of them, as the reason for this is because there are a large number of teams in contention.

You could have a 5/4 favourite in a horse race, but as there is only one prize, the bookies still believe this horse probably won't win - it simply has the best chance to.

The same logic needs to be applied to the bookies odds. They currently rate our chances as getting the 3rd of 4 play off spots, however overall, they believe our chances of making the play offs are less than 50/50.

Do consider, bookies are very tight and a typical high street bookie also has a decent margin to cover, so if for one moment they thought we would be in the play offs, they would be making us firmly odds on and not odds against.

I hope this helps......

They can't make all the teams, odds on. They would not have a industry.The FACT is we are the third favs to make the play offs. Which means on the book they clearly think we will. I can't see how you can argue with that. West Ham(1), Birmingham(2) then us (3)...that how they are pricing it...End of debate.

As just stated - there will at some point be 4 teams that are odds on - when the bookies think 4 teams have a better chance of making it than not!

4 odds on candidates when 4 win is no different to one odds on horse in a race.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Latest bookie odds have us ahead of teams like Leeds, Blackpool, Leciester and Hull for promotion, all of whom way outspend us on wages.
We could do with a thread on which are the leagues biggest spenders: cost of current squad, and wage bill. We have spent more than we've ever spent before, but there are several that have spent more. One for our stato experts.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
We could do with a thread on which are the leagues biggest spenders: cost of current squad, and wage bill. We have spent more than we've ever spent before, but there are several that have spent more. One for our stato experts.

I'd put Ipswich near the top of that list. Though a small number of their fans would think otherwise.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I had £20 on us at the start of the season to be promoted at 7/1. 39 games later we are still 7/1. So topped up with another £5 on us.

Leicester at 14/1 could be a good bet. If they make it in the play offs, they have a good chance and would be on the back of a decent run.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are gonna need 74 points or more! There is a good chance one club will put in a good run. Wins not draws. Forest from a defensive side last season suddenly went on a run of five wins and 15 pts and nudged out Leeds. It could happen again.

Championship at this time last season:

Cardiff City 2010-2011 English League Championship Table - statto.com

Leeds United beat rivals Forest 4-1- and then went went five w/o win to get only 8 points from the remaining games and Leed missed out. It is conceivable that the Albion will only get 9 points giving 71 pts and when I think we will need at least 12 points from 7 games.

Forest then won five out of 7 giving them 15 pts from the remaining games.

We have Burnley away. Could we win there? After Middlesbrough (H) and before Reading (H). Burnley's current form is the worst in the Championship over the last six games.

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | Predictor

Just done the predictor and I think we will need 75 pts. All the other clubs will need 74.

Middlesbrough will really need to go for wins and Leicester could still be a surprise package. Except Danns got sent off (was it a second booking?) and Leicester have got to beat Forest on Tuesday.

I would not put a bet on the Albion to reach the play-offs. It is too risky. Birmingham look a good bet.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had £20 on us at the start of the season to be promoted at 7/1. 39 games later we are still 7/1. So topped up with another £5 on us.
We were 12-1 a couple of weeks ago (which I thought was generous given our form at the time), and we haven't done much since. Others losing has helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here