Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many games?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
The degree to which we are now financially hamstrung IS new. You can either believe the chairman's words at the Fans Forum or disregard them, the latter I guess if you want to maximise your fire on McGhee.
In the quote you cut from my original post, you chose to omit my acknowledgement of this. To recap, in that same post I then said:

"whilst things havn't exactly improved, money IS still being made available for new signings. It doesn't explain why McGhee can't even bring a decent loan signing to the club either. I've never known so many potential signings and deals fall through with any other manager, its almost a standing joke now. But not a very funny one.

The fact remains, we offered £150k for Kandol *before* getting the £150k for CKR. I'm not suggesting this makes us in any way "flush" - but by the same token, there IS a little cash in the kitty for McGhee to use for signings. But despite this, McGhee still seems unable to bring anyone in. Not even on loan.
(and don't throw "Stokes" at me - we're already stuffed to the rafters with inexperienced kids, and Stokes has added precious little to the team so far).

Easy 10 said:
In the quote you cut from my original post, you chose to omit my acknowledgement of this. To recap, in that same post I then said:

"whilst things havn't exactly improved, money IS still being made available for new signings. It doesn't explain why McGhee can't even bring a decent loan signing to the club either. I've never known so many potential signings and deals fall through with any other manager, its almost a standing joke now. But not a very funny one.

The fact remains, we offered £150k for Kandol *before* getting the £150k for CKR. I'm not suggesting this makes us in any way "flush" - but by the same token, there IS a little cash in the kitty for McGhee to use for signings. But despite this, McGhee still seems unable to bring anyone in. Not even on loan.
(and don't throw "Stokes" at me - we're already stuffed to the rafters with inexperienced kids, and Stokes has added precious little to the team so far).

The money we offered in transfer fees and wages could not even attract two League 2 forwards to the club. That gives an insight to just how bad our financial situation is. But we will keep plugging way. You can keep obsessing about McGhee's role if you want (it seems to be the silly NSC way) but the reality is that it is the cash put up by the board that is always the key determinant in whether deals succeed or not.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
That gives an insight to just how bad our financial situation is. But we will keep plugging way.

Your starting to sound like a club spokesman now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
London Irish said:
The money we offered in transfer fees and wages could not even attract two League 2 forwards to the club. That gives an insight to just how bad our financial situation is. But we will keep plugging way. You can keep obsessing about McGhee's role if you want (it seems to be the silly NSC way) but the reality is that it is the cash put up by the board that is always the key determinant in whether deals succeed or not.

The fact the manager has fallen out with a lot of young footballers recently will surely have a impact on whether players choose to come here or not whether we have offered good terms or not.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
Your starting to sound like a club spokesman now.

I've got it! He's a hack, he supports Brighton, he loves MM...

Step forward:-

ANDY NAYLOR! LI's secret identity uncovered.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Les Biehn said:
I think it is essential that Jakey plays, for consisitency (for him and the team) and to provide support for Revell. As you said about Hendo he needs to play consistently so as he can develop and we can get the best out of him. I think using the word 'alarmingly' is far to strong, sometimes he is quiet, sometimes he is lively. But his game requires confidence and the chance to learn which runs to make. I personally would like to see him given a consistent run, on his day he is the most penetrative of our stikers.

Spot on, jake needs the confidence of knowing he is playing. Give him ten games on the trot starting and not taking him off after sixty and I'm sure he'd get 4-5 goals. He's a goalscorer, his all round game may sometimes need improving but ultimately he is the only natural goalscorer we have now so he must play.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Giraffe said:
Spot on, jake needs the confidence of knowing he is playing. Give him ten games on the trot starting and not taking him off after sixty and I'm sure he'd get 4-5 goals. He's a goalscorer, his all round game may sometimes need improving but ultimately he is the only natural goalscorer we have now so he must play.

As you say his alround game needs improving and the opportunit to work on this consistently is important in his development. He has been introduced carefully to the set up over a couple of years, now is the time to show faith in him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Its not ALL purely down to money though is it ? There are many, many 3rd and 4th division clubs who are just as strapped for cash as we are. But they still manage to freshen up their squads from time to time. As an example, some of the deadline-day deals:

Keith Barker [Blackburn - Rochdale] Loan
Iyseden Christie [Rochdale - Kidderminster] Loan
Nicky Eaden [Nottingham Forest - Lincoln] Loan
Mark Lynch [Hull - Yeovil] Free
Adam Murray [Carlisle - Torquay] £10,000
Rob Scott [Oldham - Macclesfield] Free
Michael Symes [Bradford - Shrewsbury] Free
Daryl Taylor [Bournemouth - Bury] Free
Liam Trotter [Ipswich - Millwall] Loan
Spencer Weir-Daley [Nottingham Forest - Macclesfield] Loan
Keith Andrews [Hull - Milton Keynes Dons] Free
Vincent Fernandez [Nottingham Forest - Wycombe] Loan
Ian Morris [Leeds - Scunthorpe] Undisclosed
Marcus Stewart [Bristol City - Yeovil] Loan
Hamed Namouchi [Rangers - Lorient] Undisclosed

etc etc
I'm not saying any of these players are going to be "world beaters" obviously. Far from it. But they are of the level and calibre that I'd have thought we'd be in the market for, at least. Unfortunately we seem to be fairly unique in that we desperately need reinforcements for the squad, but are finding it utterly impossible to bring anyone in. And I'm sorry, but I just do not accept that its purely an issue of CASH and WITHDEAN. Those players are out there, but we are always miles off the pace in terms of hunting them down and doing the business to get them here. It seems they're more content to f*** about banding names like "Parkin" around for weeks on end, when anyone with half a brain knew damn well there was absolutely NO chance of him ever coming here.

Crap like that just smacks of a PR smokescreen.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here