Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many games?

1066gull

We are going to have a 9 game loosing streak. Watch this space.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:
I want him gone now ideally, while there's still time to repair the damage with some loan signings to tide us over till January. Its already apparent that signing a contract to play for McGhee is about as tempting as an invite to a pool party at Barrymores.

Get rid. Then perhaps we'll finally see some players joining, instead of a constant stream of excuses. Cos make no mistake - with the squad as its stands right now, we are in for one hell of a rough ride in this division, specially as its bottom 4 that make the drop. Anyone who thinks we'll be comfortably mid-table this season is in for as rude awakening methinks.

Who do you want Easy? Wilkins? Remember the policy of appointing from within has been disastrous. Wilkins may be an excellent coach but we don't know if he'll be a good manager.

I'd give McGhee until another 4 games. You know what sort of season you're in for after 10 matches.

On the transfers issue. It's become a farce. I just don't understand why we didn't move for Ibhere and the others before last week. Much more realistic than saying we were trying to sign Dicchio etc. If we had gone for Ibhere in the summer, we'd have got him. Instead we have no-one. Can't believe the agent wanted him to sign for Wycombe instead of us. Has it come to this?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Easy 10 said:
I want him gone now ideally, while there's still time to repair the damage with some loan signings to tide us over till January. Its already apparent that signing a contract to play for McGhee is about as tempting as an invite to a pool party at Barrymores.

Get rid. Then perhaps we'll finally see some players joining, instead of a constant stream of excuses. Cos make no mistake - with the squad as its stands right now, we are in for one hell of a rough ride in this division, specially as its bottom 4 that make the drop. Anyone who thinks we'll be comfortably mid-table this season is in for as rude awakening methinks.

Completely agree - the longer we give McGhee, the greater the chance of relegation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
bristolseagull said:
i think we have an outside chance of making the play offs with the squad we have
There is absolutely NO WAY we can harbour any top 6 pretensions with this current crop of players. We have no goalscorers, no creativity in midfield, no leftback, no leadership, no strength in depth, and too many gaps are being plugged by youngsters who just arn't ready yet. We've lost too many players this year without replacing them.

I'd take finishing 20th right now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sneaky George said:
Who do you want Easy? Wilkins? Remember the policy of appointing from within has been disastrous. Wilkins may be an excellent coach but we don't know if he'll be a good manager.
I don't particularly want Wilkins either, for the reasons you mention. He'd be a completely unknown quantity. I've heard Joe Royle mentioned, wouldn't object too strongly to see him at the helm, but its a case of advertising the role and seeing who applies - there'd be no shortage, despite the circumstances we're in.

I'd give McGhee until another 4 games. You know what sort of season you're in for after 10 matches.

On the transfers issue. It's become a farce. I just don't understand why we didn't move for Ibhere and the others before last week. Much more realistic than saying we were trying to sign Dicchio etc. If we had gone for Ibhere in the summer, we'd have got him. Instead we have no-one. Can't believe the agent wanted him to sign for Wycombe instead of us. Has it come to this?
I was of a similar opinion at the start of the season, ie give him 15 or so games and see where we are. After that transfer window debacle though, I've now changed my mind. What is going to change after 4 matches ? Even if we cobble a few results together, we already KNOW McGhee can't attract players to the club, and thats what is crippling the squad right now - his abject failure in the last two transfer windows is costing us dearly on the playing front, he simply seems incapable of drafting in replacements whether that be on loan or on a permanent basis. If that doesn't change, and sharpish, we are in big trouble this season, whatever happens over the next 4 games.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Unless we were rock bottom and not picking up ANY points then I'd give him till Xmas. BUT as the hatred of him is growing stronger and stronger, I feel it might be best to get rid quick.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
This issue of blaming McGhee for not attracting players is missing the point I think.

He chooses the targets for the chairman to buy. Ok he has to sell the club to the prospective player, but so does DK. At the end of the day money talks, we don’t have alot of it. So we offered 100k for the guy at Orient, but what did we offer in wages? This is what id really like to know. Is it really worth the lad making a sideways move for an extra few quid a year? Not really.

Why didnt we gamble on Ben Burgess? No medical, no problem, its only 25k, but 25k to us is too much! WE ARE POOR. That’s the end of it. Don’t blame MM for not being able to sign players, he does his bit, we haven’t got the cash. Simple.

What we can blame MM for though is his strange substitutions and odd formations. We looked better when Jake came on sat. Hes looked good everytime iv seen him this season, yet he still doesn’t get a run. As for poor Revel sat, what a hiding to nothing he was on playing alone up there. With Hammond a total passenger as well in the centre of midfield the 4,3,3 is more like 4, 1, 3 and subsequently we are getting out run in midfield and not creating a great deal.

4, 4, 2 is a must from now on, with Jake starting and Hammond taking a break and allowing someone else a run in centre mid. If MM rates Cox so highly lets see him in centre mid with Chippy holding behind him and Harty on the right with Lofty on the left.

It cant be any worse than Saturday embarrassment of a “performance”.

P.S. Kuipers was back to his great saving but bad kicking best. Legend.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
I should think Mcghee has two games to save his job, a bad result against two of the worst sides in this league could spell the end.
I agree with that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
westy said:
This issue of blaming McGhee for not attracting players is missing the point I think.

He chooses the targets for the chairman to buy. Ok he has to sell the club to the prospective player, but so does DK. At the end of the day money talks, we don’t have alot of it. So we offered 100k for the guy at Orient, but what did we offer in wages? This is what id really like to know. Is it really worth the lad making a sideways move for an extra few quid a year? Not really.
I'm not convinced it always boils down to money. We've always been financially hamstrung since we've been playing at this dump, thats nothing new. And whilst things havn't exactly improved, money IS still being made available for new signings. It doesn't explain why McGhee can't even bring a decent loan signing to the club either. I've never known so many potential signings and deals fall through with any other manager, its almost a standing joke now. But not a very funny one.

Why didnt we gamble on Ben Burgess? No medical, no problem, its only 25k, but 25k to us is too much! WE ARE POOR. That’s the end of it. Don’t blame MM for not being able to sign players, he does his bit, we haven’t got the cash. Simple.
We were dead right not to gamble on Burgess. Its not just the £25k fee, you've also got to cover the fellas wages, and I'm sorry but if a guy who's had cruciate ligament injuries in the recent past refuses a medical, then alarm bells are ringing. We can ill afford another Kitson living in the treatment room sponging off the club. Knight and McGhee were absolutely right not to take the risk.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
can't see DK getting rid anytime soon, which is big shame. Can see him seeing out the season as long we are not bottom 3 or 4 and then going on his way.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
we always do a big losing streak every season under McGhee, and this year its earleir than usua. I am an outter but I cannot see what Knight has to offer to get a new man in - no transfer budget and some promising kids and players who are coming up to, if past their sell by dates like Santos, Butters and Carpenter.

You gotta be mad to manage this club in its current situation - hence we are managed bya mad jock

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
army ali said:
Possibly but I think Knight may hold out until end of the month. 2 more losses on the trot should do it.:down:
The thing is after Millwall we've got Bournemouth and Orient at home, even with McGhee 4 points at least from those two is very possible, so he could hold out for a little while yet. He'll go in October I think.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
i'd like to think that if we lose by more than the odd goal at the Den,he'll be out then.
Hearing him with Hawes after the game,i thought he'd be gone today.Don't look like it'll be this week though

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
2. No wins= no job.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
With Butters back to fitness soon we will be looking at a Withdean sell out against Orient - as soon as word gets out that Santos is our new centre forward!!!

Easy 10 said:
I'm not convinced it always boils down to money. We've always been financially hamstrung since we've been playing at this dump, thats nothing new.

The degree to which we are now financially hamstrung IS new. You can either believe the chairman's words at the Fans Forum or disregard them, the latter I guess if you want to maximise your fire on McGhee.

westy said:
We looked better when Jake came on sat. Hes looked good everytime iv seen him this season, yet he still doesn’t get a run.
His form still fluctuates too alamingly compared with a player like Dean Cox or even Revell. Cox has not had a poor game this season, always looks lively and always contributes well. Jake is a lottery, good against the Gills, OK against Brentford, poor against Forest and Boston, lively as a sub against Crewe and also against Bristol according to reports.

He is already contributing more this season than he has in any other though, his progress is not as quick as Lynch's and Cox's though but at least he is making some. You play Jake as an act of faith really at the moment, you may get a good game out of him, you may not, that is McGhee's dilemma.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
His form still fluctuates too alamingly compared with a player like Dean Cox or even Revell. Cox has not had a poor game this season, always looks lively and always contributes well. Jake is a lottery, good against the Gills, OK against Brentford, poor against Forest and Boston, lively as a sub against Crewe and also against Bristol according to reports.

He is already contributing more this season than he has in any other though, his progress is not as quick as Lynch's and Cox's though but at least he is making some. You play Jake as an act of faith really at the moment, you may get a good game out of him, you may not, that is McGhee's dilemma.

I think it is essential that Jakey plays, for consisitency (for him and the team) and to provide support for Revell. As you said about Hendo he needs to play consistently so as he can develop and we can get the best out of him. I think using the word 'alarmingly' is far to strong, sometimes he is quiet, sometimes he is lively. But his game requires confidence and the chance to learn which runs to make. I personally would like to see him given a consistent run, on his day he is the most penetrative of our stikers.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
He's got to go now, the end is inevitable and the longer we leave it, the worse we'll be imho.
With regards to the striker situation, we all know McFuckwit will never give a partnership more than 1 game to gel. He constantly changes the side which doesn't help the players get to peak form especially when it comes to strikers. If Jakey had played every game with Revell I think we'd be doing better as they'd have had time to work on the partnership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here